Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Squier Guitars

Options
  • 01-11-2004 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

What's your thought's on Squier Guitars... Worth the money?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Yes. The affinity series is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yep, very unfairly maligned. They are decent instruments. Especially the Japanese ones from the 80s, they were so good they put Fender logos on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭daram

They're a grand guitar for the price. That said, i've played some really ****e ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

I like mine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's a guitar. It'll do all the things you want a guitar to do. It won't do them as well as a higher-priced guitar would but you can't expect it to. Overall, they're grand for the price or for a beginner but you're not going to get massive tone or anything for that kind of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ktoal

I had a good reason for asking this question. I've been a guitarist/bass player for the past 20 years, and I've owned a lot of equipment over the years. I was in Music Maker on Friday evening, just looking, and I saw this nice little Squier Standard, lovley Black Mental finish with the Large ‘60s Style Headstock, Maple C-Shape neck and Alnico pickups... I picked it up and played it... And I was blown away. One of my guitar at home is a little Squier Tele Affinity I bought some years ago, I to tell you the truth it put me off buy another Squier. But Squier must be pulling their socks up. I have and have had several fenders over the years and this little Squier is certainly going to be in one of my regular guitar cases (not put in the attic like most of them :)

Nice one.

Is that the one with two humbuckers or three single coils?

It's got 3 single coil Alnico pickups. The action needs a proper setup, but I'll do that when I've a spare 5 mins. In my experience, people have always bad mouthed Squier guitars, as cheap pieces of junk.. But I can't see the different between a Mexician Strat and a Top range Squier, except the name (and that's all that some people are worried about).... I'd recommend you checking them out. I'll be a great wee studio guitar, or even a backup for a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Yeah, I saw that one yesterday in Music Maker, looked nice. I have no problem with squires, seems to be the luck of the draw with them, I got one when I started playing bout 8 years ago and it did me fine..definitley a good back up guitar for a Fender, havn't found many that would be good enough for recording though... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

from what ive played i think the best value budget guitars have to be yahama, i have an erg 121 and it has really sweet tone (no joke), ok action and playability and lots to mess about with (2 humbuckers and a single coil), my only major complataint is the width of the fretboard (far too narrow). I think squires are generally nice but it beats every squire ive played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

It's easy to pay too much for something, but hard to find something that's cheap without being cheap for a reason. Squiers (new ones anyway) don't sound any cheaper than they are. But they are cheap. As long as you're not under any illusions about what you're buying go for it. But if you're gigging or bringing it into studios, be prepared for a lot of wincing sound engineers. ;)

Lately I'm coming of the opinion that in electric guitars the amp is as important as the guitar itself. Just a thought: If you played it through an expensive all-valve head in the shop and you're planning on taking it home to a solidstate marshall or some other cheap and nasty amp, you will notice an extreme difference in the quality of the sound!

Id say the amp is more important than the guitar.

Also, i cant stand yamaha electrics. Never played a nice one ever. Their high end acoustics are nice, as are most other yamaha products in general, but whoever was put in charge of yamaha electrics wasnt up to it. I have a mate with a pacifica and it really is a joke of a guitar. Played most of them in the shop and cant say I like any of them.

Here's a question that's really going to stare things up. How much is cheap? How much is expensive? Because to me there is no bad sound and no good sound. They are all different. In order to go to a studio to record, you don't need the best and most expensive equipment. Hell, I'm working out of a studio that only cost about E4000 to put together and I'm getting some great professional recordings. Couple of months ago I just spend over E3000 getting a bass rig together (not including over E900 for the guitar)... Last week I spend E369 on a little Squier that I thought sounded nice. So to me, if the sound is right, no matter what the price, I'll buy it. It's all sound gentlemen, all sweet sweet sound...

How cheap and how expensive things are really depends on how much money you have

Cheap doesn't necessarily mean it sounds crap, but I know I'd rather have something expensive to rely on at a gig. You may find a cheap instrument which sounds great, it's not uncommmon, but it's hardware and construction have been skimped on, hence the price. Cheaper guitars don't stay in tune as well as expensive instruments, in my experience.

I completely agree with DoctorJ... It's not the sound that is crap (remember there are no bad sounds, just different sounds :), it's the built quality.

Advertisement