Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle Advice

• 01-09-2014 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi folks, after much consideration I've decided on getting a .22lr rifle for target shooting and a bit of hunting. I've saved up for awhile now and I was thinking of getting a CZ 455 Thumbhole Varmint .22lr with a Simmons 4-12x50 Mil Dot Scope in a package deal for 620euro. I'm 17 and have been shooting for about 2 years now, predominately shotgun shooting with some rifle. I am a member of my local gun club and of an indoor range. I wanted to get my own rifle to build my knowledge of rifle shooting but considering I've never put this kind of investment into anything and I'm slightly apprehensive. I'd love some advice on if it's the right gun/scope and any tips or hints on shooting in general. Cheers! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Great choice in rifle, you may never need to buy another.

Another one I found very good was a Ruger 77/22 heavy barrel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Perfect choice on both. The rifle is among the most popular in Ireland, and will hold a good resale value when the time comes to change up (and it will come).

You have all your bases covered with club and range membership, and with previous experience have the competency end sorted.

Looks like you need only apply and enjoy your shooting.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ChrisBarrett7

Chiparus wrote: »
    Great choice in rifle, you may never need to buy another.

Another one I found very good was a Ruger 77/22 heavy barrel.

Sounds good, I'll research that cheers

Thank's for that I appreciate it! One thing I'm trying to figure out is zeroing in the scope. I'd say it'll be sorted from trial and error but you wouldn't have any links or tips by chance? Sound!

My own tried and trusted method. There are others, but i prefer this one.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Hi folks, after much consideration I've decided on getting a .22lr rifle for target shooting and a bit of hunting.

Personally, for either discipline, I like my Ruger 10/22's. My bog standard shoots great for any 22, let alone that has an price tag of $200, before taxes, of course.

Have you considered whether you want a bolt action or semi auto? I like the bolt action on my big bores. However, when it comes to general fun and merriment with paper or a bit of bunny bashing from a 22lr, I want the convenience of the drop free magazine. One of the best supported rifles out there.

I'm going for bolt action mainly because it's what I'm used to. Also considering it's my first rifle it's the safer option

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I can't comment on your choice of scope but the rifle is sound as a pound. CZ's in general are a proposition that's very hard to beat value for money wise. They tend to shoot as good if not better than substantially more expensive rifles.

I've my deposit put on the .22lr cz 455 thumbhole varmint anyway, delighted :D

Nice one.

just have to get the license and you'll be away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 k31

As already posted you wont go far wrong with a cz and the model 455 is a good choice if you want a rifle suitable for both hunting and target shooting. They can be got with either a 16 or 20 inch barrel but if you intend to fit a moderator I would recommend the shorter barrel .The difference in accuracy between the two barrel lengths would be practically nothing. CZ rifles generally shoot very good groups with cci standard velocity ammo on paper and if you want to shoot a few bunnies you can switch to cci subsonic with practically no difference to point of impact. Very handy indeed if you want to shoot bunnies in the morning and a few targets in the afternoon. As for a scope , if you want to use the higher magnifications for target shooting you should get a scope with an adjustable objective. Good luck with your application and great to see another young person coming into shooting.

k31 wrote: »
    As already posted you wont go far wrong with a cz and the model 455 is a good choice if you want a rifle suitable for both hunting and target shooting. They can be got with either a 16 or 20 inch barrel but if you intend to fit a moderator I would recommend the shorter barrel .The difference in accuracy between the two barrel lengths would be practically nothing. CZ rifles generally shoot very good groups with cci standard velocity ammo on paper and if you want to shoot a few bunnies you can switch to cci subsonic with practically no difference to point of impact. Very handy indeed if you want to shoot bunnies in the morning and a few targets in the afternoon. As for a scope , if you want to use the higher magnifications for target shooting you should get a scope with an adjustable objective. Good luck with your application and great to see another young person coming into shooting.

Great advice there sound for that. I'm getting the 20" barrel and I applied for a silencer too. I know that can make it quite long and a bit awkward when hunting but it won't bother me too much

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭skipking

happy hunting. when applying for permit, apply for silencer as well, you dont have to get
    one with the rifle, with it on your permit you can get one anytime. to add a silencer on to
    a permit later can cost the price of another permit

skipking wrote: »
    happy hunting. when applying for permit, apply for silencer as well, you dont have to get
    one with the rifle, with it on your permit you can get one anytime. to add a silencer on to
    a permit later can cost the price of another permit

Yeah I've applied for a silencer. Hope now that I'll be able to get one

Advertisement