Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 djlor

hi maybe bit late askin now, but i intend applyin for UL accomodation very soon, and want to know the liveliest accomodation, i.e most suitable for house parties and alcoholics??No skangers though preferably

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

djlor wrote: »
    hi maybe bit late askin now, but i intend applyin for UL accomodation very soon, and want to know the liveliest accomodation, i.e most suitable for house parties and alcoholics??No skangers though preferably

Skangers... that is Scumbags aka People who'll look down on you and stuff are a rarity in UL and indeed in college in general.

Skangers... that is Scumbags aka People who'll look down on you and stuff are a rarity in UL and indeed in college in general.

fine fine, but for H.P'S and ladies, where tends to be the best??

fine fine, but for H.P'S and ladies, where tends to be the best??

I know it's difficult to understand (I was in the same boat as you last year - pretty much sh1tting it that i was gonna be living with scum) but people are more divided in UL by the year that they're in than their cliche as the "hippy" "jock" thing tends to get replaced by a new cliche which is student.
    Last year I guess you could say I lived with a jock, a very 'rural' person and others and it was great. We all got along.

The only thing I can say to you is that Elm Park has received a reputation for attracting knackers and Kilmurry (on campus) tends to attract alot of sporty people.

cheers sir baralot, perhaps the scum issue isn't a major worry so.....

Still want to know where is best for 'bita' craic???I want first year to be a bit of a rampage after the incredibly tedious, restricted Leaving Cert..!

• Advertisement

cheers sir baralot, perhaps the scum issue isn't a major worry so.....

Still want to know where is best for 'bita' craic???I want first year to be a bit of a rampage after the incredibly tedious, restricted Leaving Cert..!

If you're living off campus, Milford Grange seems to be the place to go for the craic.

On campus I'd say Kilmurry is your best bet! :)

If you're living off campus, Milford Grange seems to be the place to go for the craic.

On campus I'd say Kilmurry is your best bet! :)

I'll bear that in mind, cheers man!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 k82009

what the hawthorns briarfield like is there many students in there???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

This is a comment I put in another thread and cant be ars*ed rewriting so its a copy and paste job but it might help ya!!

Hey!
    Im hoping to get UL is well off my CAO form (Electronic systems)

AND

I rang campus life services yesterday (and E-mailed them)

Theirs still a few unfilled first year slots in PLASSEY and THOMONDeek.gif

I sent in an application form (look on their website for a first year one to print off)
    and the €250 deposit today for plassey (Thomond is a bit priceybiggrin.gif)

so if you apply for either of them youll have your place booked but for any of the others incu Kilmurry and youll be just placed on a cancellations list might not get a room!!

But Hurrysmile.gif The accomodation exec said theyed probly fill up fast

Hope I Helped!tongue.gif

http://www.ul.ie/campuslife/accommodation.htm

They told me you can also do it online with a credit card but youll have to ring them
    first for that I think....

TEL NO: 061-202331

PS. If your doing it by post I sent the deposit as a money order from the post office
    made payable to "CAMPUS LIFE SERVICES"
    and you have to write your name and CAO Number on the back

Yup accomodation is easy enough to get as a first year.I put my name down the day of getting my CAO place(end of August) and I still got accomodation in my village of choice! There's no harm in trying anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 captainred

I have frequently used Boards.ie for information but never myself posted. I lived in Troy this year and i understand that this post may be to late for you but i Would advise that nobody live in this accomodation and that Groody student accom is better but they have there problems with getting full deposit back.

However apart from sewage coming into your shower, your broadband not working for weeks on end, not getting what was promised to you, building noise every morning, no security, no safe parking and finally no customer service whatso ever......is an o.k. place to live.

Woo!

just got confirmation of a place in plassey

now just to get a place in ul:D

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

What do people mean by confirmation?
    Is that the same thing as the letter that was sent out in April/May asking for the first deposit?

snazzy wrote: »
    What do people mean by confirmation?
    Is that the same thing as the letter that was sent out in April/May asking for the first deposit?

nope its the receipt you either get e-mailed or posted after they recheive your deposit and reserve a place for you
    it has "receipt of payment" stamped across the top

I think thats it anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Oh, I'm a bit worried now.

I got an email back in April after the payment say "Acknowledgement Receipt"???
    It is like 3 pages long and details what happens after each round of offers to your place on campus. Is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

everyone issaying that there's ensuites and lcd tv's... but i bet these are only in the really expensive appartments??? what do you actually get in the appartments that they say are for 70euro???????

also where abouts is troy located as regards the college? i have looked at lots of maps of near the campus and cant see it....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I do believe they are all ensuite and as for the tv's they are lcd but fairly small ones...good all the same.

It is past the groody village, about a 15min walk beside groody student accommodation.
    A few mins on a bike no big deal really I lived in courtyard this year and never found it much of a problem. Though if your a 1st year you'll probably want to be on campus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Looking back on my stay in Groody earlier this year, I wouldn't really advise anyone to stay there. We are moved out almost two months now, and they haven't even started to check the apartments to evaluate the situation with deposit refunds. Also, they say €360 p/m, but they take ESB out of your deposit. What they don't tell you, is that all the heating is electric, so someone goes home for the week leaving there heater on, everyone has to pick up the tab.

Also, the situation with broadband was a disgrace. Security is non-existent. If you call security you get a voicemail, and if your lucky they ring you back about six hours later to see what you wanted (seriously, this happened to us twice).

They really don't care. It's like they don't want your money at all, they make no effort what so ever. The apartments are nice to be fair, and almost all are en-suite.

Oh and the TV is absolutely crap. There are only a handful of channels, and the signal/reception on most is absolutely pathetic.

I'd advise anyone to choose Groody over Troy. Groody has it's downsides as well, but nothing near that of Troy's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 captainred

They all do have LCD but not all rooms are ensuite...i would like to point out that having the telly is grand but if the channels are rarely working whats the point in having a nice telly.

It's suituated right beside groody bar, which is not the safest place for parking your car as 3 people i know have had there car broken into while being in troy.

Also rocks were thrown though many windows during one weekend last year.

For the last 4 weeks i have been tring to get in contact with someone in troy.....ringing, emailing and calling directly to the accommadation with regard my deposit....but to no avail.

I seriously can't stress hard enough that there are better places to live in college than troy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I stayed in dromroe while I wqs on a summer camp last week and theere was only 1 TV in the apartment. Is this always the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I stayed in dromroe while I wqs on a summer camp last week and theere was only 1 TV in the apartment. Is this always the case.

I'm not sure I'm understanding you right.
    Every apartment has 1 tv in campus accommodation. That would strike me as normal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Any final year students or post grads that need accomodation I have the perfect place!!! I lived out in Rivers last year, if you have a car it's the perfect accomodation for your final year. PM for more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 seesaw

ImDave wrote: »
    Looking back on my stay in Groody earlier this year, I wouldn't really advise anyone to stay there. We are moved out almost two months now, and they haven't even started to check the apartments to evaluate the situation with deposit refunds. Also, they say €360 p/m, but they take ESB out of your deposit. What they don't tell you, is that all the heating is electric, so someone goes home for the week leaving there heater on, everyone has to pick up the tab.

Also, the situation with broadband was a disgrace. Security is non-existent. If you call security you get a voicemail, and if your lucky they ring you back about six hours later to see what you wanted (seriously, this happened to us twice).

They really don't care. It's like they don't want your money at all, they make no effort what so ever. The apartments are nice to be fair, and almost all are en-suite.

Oh and the TV is absolutely crap. There are only a handful of channels, and the signal/reception on most is absolutely pathetic.

I'd advise anyone to choose Groody over Troy. Groody has it's downsides as well, but nothing near that of Troy's.

That sucks!! I lived in Brookfield this year, admittedly there were a few ups and downs before xmas but since the management changed it's been great!! When you ring security they actually appear, also they're not so strict on the noise at all anymore :) and we now have channels like E4, C4, Sky Sports, and Sky One! If you need anything to be done in your apartment they get to it fairly rapid, I was happy out, going back again this year!

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I've yet to come across student accommodation with more than one tv. All the same there are connections in the room if you wish to bring a tv of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Could anyone with major issues please contact me as I'm hoping to meet the managers of these villages over the next few weeks.

Email on the address here.

I'm not interested in specifics of any village or landlord here, email them to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭rebel105

Hi everyone,
    im doing a masters in hr in UL in september and booked into a house in castletroy park, that was booked by some friends. Where is castletroy park, i cant find it on google maps!
    thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭tommiejoie

rebel105 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    im doing a masters in hr in UL in september and booked into a house in castletroy park, that was booked by some friends. Where is castletroy park, i cant find it on google maps!
    thanks!

Hi Rebel,

Castletroy Park is right here where the map is centered. FYI this is a hotel right across the road from the entrance to the University, about 5-10mins walk in depending on what building you're heading for. But you might want to double check your facts because I assume you were actually talking about a house and not a hotel. Unless I'm very much mistaken, there is no housing estate called Castletroy Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭KatyBob

Couple of quick questions:

How good/bad is the internet in brookfield? And what are my chances of getting a cancellation on campus on CAO day??

KatyBob wrote: »
    Couple of quick questions:

How good/bad is the internet in brookfield? And what are my chances of getting a cancellation on campus on CAO day??

Internet in Brookfield is nothng short of dire, I know this from first hand experience. If your staying there you better invest in mobile broadband from 3 or something.

Last year when demand was a lot higher for campus accommodation I got my name down the day the offers came out, around the 24th of August I was offered a place on campus. So you still have a very good chance in my opinion

Oh on a side note I got my deposit back from Courtyard today!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 gnr.rigney

Lived in thomond for first year, I wanted Kilmurry but got thomond instead. It's like a palace compared to other places, but its rather miserable...not to mention my house mates ! I just about slept in thomond, spent most of the time at my friends houses.
    The bedrooms are amazing, huge double bed, ensuite, big study desk ! really lovely, used to hate going home at the weekends for my single bed !! lol
    we could never have parties, lock-down straight away, i was lucky in that my birthday is wen we're on christmas holidays so i got to have a little gathering. having said that, im kinda glad no crazy **** went down like in kilmurry...toliets getting smashed, tv's thrown out windows...you get the idea...a bit OTT for my liking ! It was nice to have the extra bit of security !
    and the comfort of having a lift up to my third floor appt came in really handy when i broke my leg ! the stairs in kilmurry and plassey are a challenge with two working legs...never mind a dodgy one and crutches !
    I did enjoy Thomond, but i was unfortunate to have MISERABLE housemates ! but I'd definatly give it 9/10 !:D

Advertisement