Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Engagement Rings

Options
  • 04-07-2015 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Anybody got any recommendations for places that do engagement rings for guys in Dublin?
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

glen25 wrote: »
    Anybody got any recommendations for places that do engagement rings for guys in Dublin?
    Cheers

Hi, my partner and I got our engagment rings from the jewellery chain Fields. In particular we got them from the store In the Square shopping centre out in Tallaght. They were extremely helpful and we even got a price reduction for ordering two rings. Both of us like diamond rings all of which were aimed towards women, but the shop assistants were able to call their jewellers and request special sizes etc, mine was a cluster diamond ring that was placed into a size W setting. Equally they had a small range of men's engagement rings but I found them to be a little boring in comparison.

Alternatively, we also managed to get our wedding rings hand made by a jeweller in the Quick Fix store in the Sqaure shopping centre (don't let the name put you off), we were recommended the jeweller that works in the store, and man how happy we are we got it.
    We both had very specific designs in mind for our wedding bands and wanted them to slot into our engagement rings. We were well taken care of and had several meetings with the jeweller which we requested in order to see the gems and the rough band outline etc. Overall they were very present to work with. Furthermore after appraisal for insurance etc the rings were valued at a much higher price than we ended up paying (not that costs are important but it's nice to know you got a good deal). It maybe an idea if you have a particular idea for an engagement ring.

Anyways I hope this helps and congrats to you and your partner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

My friend who got engaged last year used a company who let him design what sort of rings he and his boyfriend wanted if he didn't like the ones in store. Not sure of the name of the place, but I'll try and find out. He said they were quite reasonable price wise and were very friendly and relaxed with gay couples, which is what he was most nervous about when initially going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

glen25 wrote: »
    Cheers

While my husband and I didn't do engagement rings we did get our wedding rings specially made as we didn't want plain boring wedding bands.
    We went to Barry Doyle designs in Georges street arcade (Dublin). They were good to deal with although with any jeweller make sure you tell them that you want it a week or more before you really need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glen25

Thanks for the replies guys. We've been busy celebrating so didn't get a chance to check after we got the ring! We bought it in Fields on Grafton St after doing the rounds of lots of jewellers. They were superb to deal with (we were a little apprehensive buying from a high street chain). We picked the ring up in our local Fields store and again the staff were excellent to deal with. Couldn't recommend them highly enough. (If you are going into Grafton St ask for Marie, she's a legend!).

I thought you wore both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Paddy C wrote: »
    I thought you wore both?

Yeah you do but the engagement ring is really just a female thing. I would just buy the wedding ring and use then from when you propose.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

On the same finger?
    I know two engaged couples.. they don't have engagement rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

PeteK* wrote: »
    On the same finger?
    I know two engaged couples.. they don't have engagement rings.

Yeah engagementmring are for women, gay men don't get them

Depends on the person maybe? Any married woman I've seen has their engagement ring and wedding ring on the same finger. Perhaps men don't and switch to the wedding one. It's all down to personal preference I suppose. Some will want to wear one or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gavoreilly

Myself and my boyfriend purchased our wedding bands from Perfect Ring (in the Powerscourt Shopping Centre off South William St), and we were very happy with how we got on. First off, not an eyelid was batted at the fact that we were a same-sex couple. You might think that would be par for the course these days (of course, it should), but we didn't feel 100% welcome in every jewellers that we went into over the last number of weeks. Anyway, that wasn't an issue in Perfect Ring, and they were also able to help us make our weddings bands extra special. That was important to us, as neither of us wanted to wear an engagement ring, or a ring with a stone in it. We just wanted to spend as much as we could on the rings. We ended up getting a pair with lots of really small diamonds all around each band. We never knew that it was possible to get wedding bands like that, but now we couldn't imagine having them any other way. So we've been recommending Perfect Ring to our friends ever since.

• Advertisement
Advertisement