Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Straight guy. What to do now?

Options
  • 05-06-2015 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Recently I had a strange experience. I met this guy about a month ago. He has a girlfriend. He was being really really friendly with me at a party and invited me back to his for a drink. We had some drinks and got a bit huggy feely. I interpreted it as flirting. In fact we took some selfies where he was kissing me on the cheek. We sort of kissed. We were both very drunk. I got the impression he was very torn on what he wanted to do. I think half of him wanted to go further and half didn't. Anyway not much more happened. The next day we chatted briefly on facebook but not since. So I arranged an event in a week or two and he is one of the first to sign up. Am I reading too much into this? Was he just being friendly? Should I just completely go with the flow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lyinghere

go with the flow is all ya can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭tomato1234

well, you have to tell us the rest of the story now. :) He is definitely not just being friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Ethel

EDM33 wrote: »
    He has a girlfriend.

I'd like to tell you to see how it goes, but the above fact is the elephant in the room. If he has feelings anyone else, be they another woman or a man, the guy needs to deal with this. Its not fair for him to cheat on her, and what's more, you shouldn't be happy for him to cheat either.

Outside of that issue, and depending what you want out of this; what happens if he gets experimental when he's drunk then takes a nose dive back into the closet in the cold light of day?

I'm sorry if I've put a dampner on things! But if you do really like him you would end up being the one hurt unless he sorts his life out.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

tomato1234 wrote: »
    well, you have to tell us the rest of the story now. :) He is definitely not just being friendly.

There isn't much more to the story.

That's just it though. Maybe I'm completely misinterpreting this and he was just being friendly!

Ethel wrote: »
    I'd like to tell you to see how it goes, but the above fact is the elephant in the room. If he has feelings anyone else, be they another woman or a man, the guy needs to deal with this. Its not fair for him to cheat on her, and what's more, you shouldn't be happy for him to cheat either.

Outside of that issue, and depending what you want out of this; what happens if he gets experimental when he's drunk then takes a nose dive back into the closet in the cold light of day?

I'm sorry if I've put a dampner on things! But if you do really like him you would end up being the one hurt unless he sorts his life out.

I hear ya

Do you suggest maybe see what happens in the sense of see if he gets flirty again and then maybe have a chat to him when he is sober?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There isn't much more to the story.

That's just it though. Maybe I'm completely misinterpreting this and he was just being friendly!

What do you want out of this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭Cody montana

If it does go further isn't that cheating?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭tomato1234

I hear ya

Do you suggest maybe see what happens in the sense of see if he gets flirty again and then maybe have a chat to him when he is sober?

I can tell you like him. This is an awkward moment. Maybe you should just wait until the friendship is building up.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Ethel

I hear ya

Sorry Ive only seen your reply to me now. I hope I'm not too late in saying to you that I think you need to back down. The guy seems very confused, I don't think he's figured it out yet what he's doing. He certainly isn't facing up to his feelings about men if its only surfacing while drunk. Not only that, but he is behaving in a way that is not exactly respectful or loyal to his girlfriend. It shows great weakness of character to cheat on someone, is that really the kind of person you want to be involved with? You need to be more bothered by that than you seem to be.

Youre caught up in a whirlwind of excitement because you like him. If you really insist on pursuing this, then speak to him sober and you'll have your answer. See if he is capable of being honest (remember, he's a cheater), or will he get defensive, deny everything and head back to Narnia? This is a very rocky route I don't advise you to take op..

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Riddler87

VERY rocky road...

Similar situation happened to me before. My advice... stay away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Pride Before Ignorance

Personally I'd go for it. My BF of 6 months had a GF when we met. I don't knw what I'd do without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

My BF of 6 months had a GF when we met

If he cheated with you, he'll cheat on you.

If he cheated with you, he'll cheat on you.

Your post is a bit edgy mister. He was with a woman at the time. He has since discovered himself and came out. Different circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Boys like that are just trouble. Find a guy who's comfortable with his sexuality, you'll be much happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

He was with a woman at the time. He has since discovered himself and came out. Different circumstances.
    Being with you behind her back, regardless of how he felt or what he was dealing with, is still cheating. He could have broke it off with her and then went on his voyage of self-discovery but chose not to and kept her in the dark.

Paddy C wrote: »
    Being with you behind her back, regardless of how he felt or what he was dealing with, is still cheating. He could have broke it off with her and then went on his voyage of self-discovery but chose not to and kept her in the dark.

To be honest, if he would like to satisfy his sexual desires with a woman I told him he could, just tell me first. I am 200% honest in this. There is a marked difference between lust and love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

To be honest, if he would like to satisfy his sexual desires with a woman I told him he could, just tell me first. I am 200% honest in this. There is a marked difference between lust and love.

Good for you but it doesn't sound like the woman involved had the opportunity to be so magnanimous.

Good for you but it doesn't sound like the woman involved had the opportunity to be so magnanimous.

People cheat. People aren't perfect. I have cheated in the past. I realised that my partner at the time wasn't fulfilling me. It took me cheating to realise this. I'm not proud of this but it happened. I'm not perfect. You're not perfect. My BFs not perfect. I am not going to apologise for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

People cheat. People aren't perfect. I have cheated in the past. I realised that my partner at the time wasn't fulfilling me. It took me cheating to realise this. I'm not proud of this but it happened. I'm not perfect. You're not perfect. My BFs not perfect. I am not going to apologise for that.

I'm not looking for an apology, some recognition that sexual confusion or frustration is not an excuse for betrayal is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭nozipcode

OP. Run. Run for your life.

let him experiment with someone who isn't emotionally involved. Sounds like you already are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I wonder would you be so flippant if you were head over heels in love with someone and discovered they were cheating on you while you thought you were in a committed and loving relationship

Paddy C wrote: »
    Obviously he has broke it off with her :confused:

No relationship is cast in stone,anyone can meet someone else discover they want them more than their current partner and move on having broken up with the other one
    Otherwise there wouldn't be any such thing as divorce and we'd all only ever have one partner
    There is you know an overlap in such circumstances, I think its folly o suggest otherwise

obviously deciding not to choose one over the other but secretly carry on behind lover 1`s back is not what I'm talking about here

To the OP,flirt away but be emotionally careful
    If something happens,discuss it immediately to discover where you stand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement