Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nelson Mandela has passed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

A cool guy. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The man was a terrorist but the media whitewashed his past. He carried out bombings and advocated violence to gain power. The reason why he became so revered? He won. Oh, and he had a change of mind and wanted "peace".
    he had no choice, the situation in south africa at the time had to be stopped, the government were a government that had to be overthrown, innocent civilians were only deliberately killed by the government
    Good riddance
    not at all, he was a great man who cared about his country and did hard time for struggling against inequality and racism, he will be sadly missed.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Seaneh wrote: »
    R.I.P.

Won't be long before the usual shower of fu*ktards start calling him a terrorist.

He wasn't a terrorist he was a freedom fighter just like Gerry Adams. Two great men.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Getting sick of the "RIP Morgan Freeman" "jokes" of Facebook.

A better man than of any of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Is that meant to be funny?

Yes. I got an unreal laugh out of it. Can't wait to see Invictus 2: Apartheid this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

"It always seems impossible until it is done."

A great man, the name Mandela will go down in history with the status of a legend. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

The man was a terrorist but the media whitewashed his past. He carried out bombings and advocated violence to gain power. The reason why he became so revered? He won. Oh, and he had a change of mind and wanted "peace".

Good riddance

Nonsense.

Have you any idea what life was like under Apartheid? He rebelled. The ANC were violent - but the SA Militia didn't give them any choice.

He was locked up for 27 years in apalling conditions and the first thing he does is forgive his oppressors and try to forge a new inclusive way forward for his country.

He is a great loss. I hope SA doesn't melt down now because people of his caliber don't seem to be emerging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Getting sick of the "RIP Morgan Freeman" "jokes" of Facebook.

A better man than of any of us

Was the same on the Micheal Jackson thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

Mandela, while you're up there in heaven, fist bump Paul Walker

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

R.I.P to a great man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Good riddance

Saying he was a terrorist is possibly a bit over the top.

But it is funny how he is adulated by all the boardsies on here, yet the Republican struggle a few miles up the road are labelled as murdering scumbags or terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Eight Ball wrote: »
    He wasn't a terrorist he was a freedom fighter just like Gerry Adams. Two great men.
    Don't, just don't sully Mandela's name by comparing him to Adams. This isn't the time or place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

God bless you Madiba.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Saying he was a terrorist is possibly a bit over the top.

But it is funny how he is adulated by all the boardsies on here, yet the Republican struggle a few miles up the road are labelled as murdering scumbags or terrorists.

How many civilians did his group kill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Eight Ball wrote: »

Real classy the way the ShinBots are hijacking this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

[-0-] wrote: »
    RIP Nelson Mandela. A fine man who firmly believed in a 32 county republic and was against the provos decision to decommission.

He was against anoutlawed organisation handing over the weapons that murdered mothers and children, i won't get the hankie out yet so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

RIP Madiba :(

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Nelson Mandela =the one and only legend.

How many civilians did his group kill?

I wouldn't know the exact figures off the top of my head, however by his own admission he was involved in killing of hundreds of people by planting bombs, mines and ambushes.

Sounds familiar.

He also was found guilty and served time of above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Don't, just don't sully Mandela's name by comparing him to Adams. This isn't the time or place.

Do you realise that Irish Republicans (including the IRA) have had links with the ANC for decades? That Sinn Fein and the ANC consider themselves fraternal organisations and that Mandela and Adams have met on many occasions and pledged solidarity?

It must break your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

A huge loss to humanity. RIP Mandela.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

So the end justifies the means? I'm sure all those civilians killed at the hands of his group Umkhonto we Sizwe agree with you.

South Africa is going the way of Rhodesia. A once prosperous nation heading straight into the garbage,

Race wars are one thing. But this was not one of them because when one side on the "war" is the Government (as in the NP) who wage a systematic military and political action against a group of people (well, let's face it, black people) then the people have a right to defend themselves.

Todays problems in SA are a different kettle of fish altogether, greed has overtaken racsim as the engine.

EDIT : From here on in I'm reporting the stupid keyboard warrior fúckers who have the gall to bring Northern Ireland into this conversation. Back to your XBoxes ye juvenile gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

"Take your weapons and throw them into the sea"?

Obviously just a ploy to conquer us all with a board with a nail in it

So the end justifies the means? I'm sure all those civilians killed at the hands of his group Umkhonto we Sizwe agree with you.

South Africa is going the way of Rhodesia. A once prosperous nation heading straight into the garbage,
    Do you have any actual proof? SA isn't paradise but it's doing OK. It's more prosperous than it was in 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

FTA69 wrote: »
    Do you realise that Irish Republicans (including the IRA) have had links with the ANC for decades? That Sinn Fein and the ANC consider themselves fraternal organisations and that Mandela and Adams have met on many occasions and pledged solidarity?

It must break your heart.
    Will you please just give up, this isn't the time or place. If you want to discuss the IRA do it in another thread.

D1stant wrote: »
    Real classy the way the ShinBots are hijacking this

I am far from a "shinbot". I just find it amusing the reaction he gets despite his own past being not too dissimilar to events that happened a few miles up the road.

Going to be a lot of trouble now in south Africa, ive heard it from many people from there down the years that when Mandela dies there are going to be major race wars there.

I've never understood that? Did a sick old man lying in a bed for the last few months exercise some kind of psychic control over the nation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

I liked him, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Trolling/inflammatory posts will see you banned. Comparing him to Irish Politicians counts as the above. Bans are incoming. Save that discussion for another day in another thread/forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

jebus84 wrote: »
    Mandela, while you're up there in heaven, fist bump Paul Walker
    I'm not saying it to be funny, but Paul Walkers stock has risen since his death in a way I can't remember outside of MAYBE Amy Winehouse. Seemed a good guy and all, but it's just been grating on me a little to be honest.

If we start hearing comparisons of him with Mandela...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement