Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Return of Kings, men's opinions

• 21-11-2013 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

ROK aims to usher the return of the masculine man in a world where masculinity is being increasingly punished and shamed in favor of creating an androgynous and politically-correct society that allows women to assert superiority and control over men. Sadly, yesterday’s masculinity is today’s misogyny. The site intends to be a safe space on the web for those men who don’t agree with the direction that Western culture is headed.
    http://www.returnofkings.com/about

Honestly I nearly hesitate to send any more attention its way, but I'm curious to get some men's views on this. The above mission statement doesn't sound a million bajillion miles away from a lot of opinions I've seen expressed on here, but then the content of the site is absolutely vitriolic. I made the mistake of engaging with people in the comments section yesterday on one article, holy hell, if keystrokes could kill.

I realise it's probably being deliberately provocative to get attention, and that it's not a hugely popular site, but is it actually really an accurate reflection of views held by any significant amount of men? Do ye see the appeal of having a space where women and especially any kind of feminism or political correctness is verboten? If so, is this the kind of space ye want?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I don't get this gibberish at all. Men aren't being de-masculated at all. I've a feeling the blokes that spout such crap are dweebs who prefer to blame the world and women for their own short comings in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Mint Aero wrote: »
    I don't get this gibberish at all. Men aren't being de-masculated at all. I've a feeling the blokes that spout such crap are dweebs who prefer to blame the world and women for their own short comings in life.

Oh no, no, I looked into it a bit, apparently they all do very well with women who are real women because they understand how to be men. Got that from the horse's mouth, must be true ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It's nice that there is a support forum for insecure blokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Sounds like a load of shite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Women and homosexuals are prohibited from commenting here. They will be immediately banned.

yep

--edit

looking through 'game'

it looks like a jezebel clone for men that are as retarded as women who read jezebel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Wasn't a great sequel. I expected more of a focus on the hobbits and less on the dwarves. Gandalf did his usual routine.

yep

--edit

looking through 'game'

it looks like a jezebel clone for men that are as retarded as women who read jezebel

You literally almost quoted me from my conversation in the comments on one of the articles yesterday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

yep

--edit

looking through 'game'

Haha! looks like you'll have to ban me then for being a 6'1, 14 stone whiskey drinking gay who lifts and can weld and all that.

I'd love to see you try to out masculinise me in fairness, OP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

LOL, state of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Just read their about section, they sound like some kind of Republican outfit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

I thought it had to do with Kings crisps, but they never left so all is well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Looks like a piss take to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I thought it had to do with Kings crisps, but they never left so all is well.

Thought it was to do with The Lord of The Rings, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Return of the Kings, sounds like a ****ty name for an alt rock group that falls into obscurity after one "okeish" tune.

smcgiff wrote: »
    Looks like a piss take to me.

That's what I assumed too, still not entirely convinced that the actual articles are genuine but I believe some of the people in the comments because like I said I don't think it's entirely divorced from some opinions you see expressed here or on other sites, plus a lot of the articles have 1000s of likes on FB. I guess I was curious if this is even a little bit what sites like Jezebel (which I'm really not a fan of, ugh) look like from a male perspective. I spent a couple hours of browsing it and I suppose I lost touch with reality, faith in mankind restored by responses here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

You went in there OP - why oh why would you do that to yourself? :eek:
    a world where masculinity is being increasingly punished and shamed in favor of creating an androgynous and politically-correct society that allows women to assert superiority and control over men.
    Nothing further needed - looneytoonsville.

Seriously, improvement in men's rights, recognition of when men are undermined because of their gender - bring it on. But this isn't a men's rights forum, it's a hate forum.
    I know there's the odd person here on After Hours who'd spout the same shyte as I've quoted, but do ya seriously want to be drawing them on you? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

allows women to assert superiority and control over men

Personally I love it when a woman asserts her superiority and control all over my hot body.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Empty vessels make the most noise.

Dons slippers, pipe and dressing gown.
    Mint Aero wrote:

There are mens right issues, but as with any campaign about rights, folks take it to an extreme, think the feminazi's for similar nut jobs.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

You went in there OP - why oh why would you do that to yourself? :eek:

Nothing further needed - looneytoonsville.

Seriously, improvement in men's rights, recognition of when men are undermined because of their gender - bring it on. But this isn't a men's rights forum, it's a hate forum.
    I know there's the odd person here on After Hours who'd spout the same shyte as I've quoted, but do ya seriously want to be drawing them on you? :pac:

My sister was sending round one of the articles (24 signs that she's a slut) to see how you scored, just for a laugh but I got distracted by the craziness...

I kind of do want to draw them on, I find it fascinating! You couldn't even be angry at the men on the actual site because they've used up all the available hate, but they proved themselves unavailable for unheated conversation so I was hoping some boardsies could help a sister out :P

K-9 wrote: »
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

Dons slippers, pipe and dressing gown.

There are mens right issues, but as with any campaign about rights, folks take it to an extreme, think the feminazi's for similar nut jobs.

It's interesting how quickly "Men's Rights" is getting appropriated into something insane, maybe a bit the same as how a lot of women would balk at describing themselves as feminists

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

My sister was sending round one of the articles (24 signs that she's a slut) to see how you scored, just for a laugh but I got distracted by the craziness...

I kind of do want to draw them on, I find it fascinating!
    Fair play. I find it depressing. "24 signs she's a slut". Sigh... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Sign me up.

Fair play. I find it depressing. "24 signs she's a slut". Sigh... :(

Including "slut face" and "tattoos" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

A lot of that site is completely obnoxious but some of this article sounded about right to me. It may be just late and I've lost my mind.

http://www.returnofkings.com/17008/how-not-to-be-a-man

(24 signs that she's a slut)

That's like 24 signs it's going to rain, get a couple right and yeah, we've a weather expert.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Haha! looks like you'll have to ban me then for being a 6'1, 14 stone whiskey drinking gay who lifts and can weld and all that.

I'd love to see you try to out masculinise me in fairness, OP :D

I'm a 5'8", 8 stone gay who couldn't beat shít off a stick but I bet I get more girls than most of that site...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Maybe we can let them fight the feminazis and they'll wipe each other out leaving the sane people to deal with everything.

judgefudge wrote: »
    A lot of that site is completely obnoxious but some of this article sounded about right to me. It may be just late and I've lost my mind.

http://www.returnofkings.com/17008/how-not-to-be-a-man

:D

Yeah, when you get past the white knight shyte he makes the odd point. I don't feel needy enough to label men who disagree with my world view, white knights.

Then again, I don't have a world view. I judge things on a case by case scenario. It's like men who vehemently condemn homosexuality, listen mate, I'm comfortable enough in my own sexuality to not see the ghey as a threat to me personally.

Or set up a website like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

These kind of suggestions should be taken with a pinch of salt.

And a belt of scotch... and a fine cigar.

While crafting a spear ...and simultaneously driving a red convertible.

...with an erection.

• Advertisement

These kind of suggestions should be taken with a pinch of salt.

And a belt of scotch... and a fine cigar.

While crafting a spear ...and simultaneously driving a red convertible.

...with an erection.

In fairness though, that sounds like good enough craic

Advertisement