Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc Gaming

• 13-02-2012 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to start PC gaming, maybe, but I have a few questions to ask

1. I have a mac, wondering what I can run. I'd like starcraft, and civilization ideally.
    2. Whats good to play?
    3. Is steam any good?
    4. Could I play minecraft?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

cloud493 wrote: »
    I'd like to start PC gaming, maybe, but I have a few questions to ask

1. I have a mac, wondering what I can run. I'd like starcraft, and civilization ideally.
    2. Whats good to play?
    3. Is steam any good?
    4. Could I play minecraft?

1: You can run many games, including starcraft (& SC2) and civilisation.
    2:....
    3: Yes and no.
    4: Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Would that be starcraft 2? I've never played PC gaming before, only flash games on the net, so I haven't a clue.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Would that be starcraft 2? I've never played PC gaming before, only flash games on the net, so I haven't a clue.

:eek::eek: Have you played any console games? Xbox, playstation?...SNES, Wii?

Indeed Starcraft 2.

Portal & Portal 2 are also available on mac which you might enjoy (comedic puzzle game of sorts).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sc2 will work on a mac,great game,what spec is your mac?

Says it 10.5.8 version, processor 2.8 GHz intel core 2 duo
    I had portal 2 on my PS3(I just made a steam account) and I tried to link my PSN to my steam, but it said I couldn't :/

and yes ive played games :p PC gaming is something ive never touched before, looks interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Step 1 of gaming on a MAC, create a Windows partition :D

Says it 10.5.8 version, processor 2.8 GHz intel core 2 duo
    I had portal 2 on my PS3(I just made a steam account) and I tried to link my PSN to my steam, but it said I couldn't :/

and yes ive played games :p PC gaming is something ive never touched before, looks interesting.

What GPU do you have and how much RAM

How do I check that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'd like to start PC gaming...

Good for you! PC gaming opens up a whole new world to the gaming experience, with millions of mods and user made addons for many, many games!
    1. I have a mac...

Oh...

How do I check that?

Go to the Utilities Folder, then run System Profiler. It should give you info on every installed component in your MAC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Step 1 of gaming on a MAC, create a Windows partition :D

This is the most important thing in this thread so far. I run Windows 7 on my iMac and its great for gaming. Don't play games in OSX, it's not designed for it, experience is usually sub-par.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well hype is down. Thread should say: " mac gaming *sigh* "

Macs are not for gaming m8. You can go around with windows partitions etc, but I bet that your mac will be barely able to play anything.

So macs can't play nothing? :(

The can, but that's about it. If you will do that separate partition with windows, you might play few older games on lowish settings.

Cheap steam, you might find few games that work on macs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Well they can, STEAM can give you a detailed list of available mac games.
    Here is a detailed list of MAC games on STEAM sorted by MetaScore

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Metascore&sort_order=DESC&category1=998&os=mac

You could also set up a Windows boot, to play games for Windows (assuming your Gfx /Cpu /Ram meet the required Specs)

How much will I find starcraft 2 for you guys reckon?

What's your gpu m8?

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac8,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.30f1
    Serial Number (system): VM83353AZE4
    Hardware UUID: 216B30B3-BDED-52B5-92CD-8D9525EC9B47

Well it's dual core CPU, so no much advantage there. Still no info on ram or gpu m8.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Well it's dual core CPU, so no much advantage there. Still no info on ram or gpu m8.

2GB ram (memory)

And its probably this Graphics card ?
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO .. Link

http://imgur.com/MIcEn :pac:

sorry :D

• Advertisement

... I have no idea I'm afraid :o

And I don't know where to find this info :p ive run system utilities, nothing there

That spec won't run much m8. I don't think you will even be able to run much of modern games at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

If you google the model number you'll get a result with what should be inside your machine.
    Here, let me google that for you.

The second link down in the search results says it should have ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT graphics acceleration with 128 MB of GDDR3 memory. Not great but it'll run some games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

go to this website http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

and click on any game and you'll get a good idea of what you can and can't run :)

That mac is just a no go for pc gaming. ( it's mac in the first place! :) )

I am afraid that trying to play on it will just put you off pc gaming.

Pc gaming became alot cheaper these days. Jump in to " building computers " forum on boards.ie, there are a lot of us who will help you and explain you everything you need to built your own gaming pc. We have built good few budget pcs, alot of gamers are. Happy ;)

It will be more expencive then console, but keep in mind it won't by just a yoke for playing games. It is a powerfull multimedia machine. These days most of TVs got hdmi connections so you can use it as monitor, if you not fancy buying monitor just now.

./finish converting to the dark side.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You can but the difference is almost the same as wanting to play xbox only titles on a playstation. Even though the consoles, the PC and the Mac are all more or less the same thing on the inside the operating system on them all is different so you can't play a game made for one on another.

That mac is just a no go for pc gaming. ( it's mac in the first place! :) )

You haven't a clue what you're talking about. Windows doesn't care what machine it is on, it doesn't know that the Intel processor and Radeon/nVidia card it is using are inside a mac box. I played Skyrim on a Windows 7 boot on my iMac with no problems.

Obviously cost-wise a PC is a better choice for gaming, but if you already have a mac a windows boot is a perfectly valid option.

m8

Zillah wrote: »
    You haven't a clue what you're talking about. Windows doesn't care what machine it is on, it doesn't know that the Intel processor and Radeon/nVidia card it is using are inside a mac box. I played Skyrim on a Windows 7 boot on my iMac with no problems.

Obviously cost-wise a PC is a better choice for gaming, but if you already have a mac a windows boot is a perfectly valid option.

m8

right, before luring a fan boy in you. :rolleyes:

you play games on WINDOWS, not MAC OS. MACs are not for gaming, if you want to be picky about this statement i will leave you the rest of this thread, have fun! :p

right, before luring a fan boy in you. :rolleyes:

I use both Windows and OS X for different things on different machines. I take no part in the factional warfare people seem insistent on waging over them, and trying to dismiss me as a fanboy is both ad hominem and a strawman.
    you play games on WINDOWS, not MAC OS. MACs are not for gaming, if you want to be picky about this statement i will leave you the rest of this thread, have fun! :p

Earlier you said "The can, but that's about it. If you will do that separate partition with windows, you might play few older games on lowish settings" - implying that even on a Windows boot a Mac was somehow inherently inferior for gaming, which just isn't true. You've either got the hardware or you don't, Windows doesn't care who assembled it.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    I use both Windows and OS X for different things on different machines. I take no part in the factional warfare people seem insistent on waging over them, and trying to dismiss me as a fanboy is both ad hominem and a strawman.

Earlier you said "The can, but that's about it. If you will do that separate partition with windows, you might play few older games on lowish settings" - implying that even on a Windows boot a Mac was somehow inherently inferior for gaming, which just isn't true. You've either got the hardware or you don't, Windows doesn't care who assembled it.

thread is yours, have fun.

Advertisement