Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why did they get rid of the glass milk bottles that the milkman delivered?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

one problem with the bottles was that sunlight destroys riboflavin (or one of dem things)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

You think it's bad in Ireland, try living in England. They don't have milk cartons here. They have stupid clear plastic bottles, which never makes a tight seal when you close it, meaning that it invariably leaks all over everything in your fridge, and makes it stink for months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

the birds used to peck through the foil
    Tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Getting used to the idea that not the entire Irish island is "UK Property" so to speak. I mean I've always known that - It was just easier for my ignorant yankee ass to categorize the whole thing as "UK". Now if only countries like Scotland, Wales and Australia can entirely break free from the United Kingdom to become their own independant countries, that'd be nice.

Australia aren't in the UK. The UK is made up aof Great Britain (England, Scotland & Wales) & Northern Ireland

Austrailia is an Independent country, it just chooses to remain in the commonwealth (god knows why, though there was talk a little while ago of Ireland returning to it, will never happen though)

I remember them well, the red and silver foil top, pressing it gently with the thumb so it would lift off rather than pierce through, and they way the cream was floating on top, just made my cornflakes taste all that better. To reminise, if we have any cream in the fridge I would pour a bit over my cornflakes.

I think we were still getting them delivered in Shankill before we moved back in 1997.

I remember going on holidays in 1991 to Loire valley in France and we used to go up to this farmer to get milk from him. We had to bring empty bottles so it was coke, 7up whatever we could get our hands on and then you would just dip your hands into the tank till the bottle was full. Cold on the hands, but damn tasty milk straight from the cow!

I remember collecting the foil tops for competitions and stuff, I would wash them off and flatten them out, I had envelopes stuffed to the gills with them, and at christmas, there would be special tops with sprigs of holly in the design.

I remember I was collecting for a competition one time, can't remember what it was for, something half decent anyway, and you had to fill in a slogan, "Premier Dairies is the best because......
    Well as this competition was running there was a guy in the audience on the Late Late show one night who was a champion slogan master, won loads of stuff. Gaybo interviewed him and went on with the show until some punter rang in and asked him to get the slogan guy to finish the Premier Dairies slogan. Straight away, yer man went,.........because the cream rises to the top"
    I could never understand why I didn't win that competition.... sure I was only about 10!!

Think the ma still has a few of the old bottles at home, definately had the millineium bottle, the Italia 90 one, but I think there was another special edition one. anyone remember, maybe Dublin city of culture or something?

MBL stood for Milk bottles limited.

We just got a milkman recently, nearly 8 years in our house and never had one round before, so handy, but god I wish I could get the good aul stuff again.

If they brought it back, I would be happy to pay a quid a bottle. How much would you pay for it?

Even if the did something mad like only sold it in one shop or direct from a dairy or something, it would be the one thing I would be quite happy to go out of my way to get.

Lets start a campaign, bring back the milk bottle...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

I still have my 1988 Dublin Millenium milk bottle. I may have an Italia 90 one as well.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Amberjack wrote: »
    I remember in nursery school (laye 70's) we used to collect the foil tops and they were sent off to orphanages in Africa or other 3rd world places. Anyone else do this?

Lots of hungry black kids going "what the f**k use are these yokes?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Would think they would bring them back with the recycling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you can thank all the H&S hygiene nonsense for the demise. people don't want to use a reused glass bottle that someone else may have drunk out of...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Never had milk bottles here in the sticks

But we all got cartons of milk in school. I think it was subsidized (isn't milk subsidized anyway says you) at some ridiculously cheap price and you paid every term.
    First person to school brought in the milk from the yard

It'd be frozen with blocks of ice some mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

In my area (Dublin North Central), they stopped glass pint bottles around 2000.

Was for a multitude of reasons; mostly high cost of collection. But also, it became illegal for milk to be delivered in Pint sizes from 2004 - which would have required the replacement of all the pint bottles with 500ml or 1l ones which would have been a crazy cost.

Thank you Mr. European Union again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Couldn't they just put slightly less milk in the bottles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Lauder wrote: »
    But also, it became illegal for milk to be delivered in Pint sizes from 2004 - which would have required the replacement of all the pint bottles with 500ml or 1l ones which would have been a crazy cost.

Thank you Mr. European Union again!

Its still perfectly legal to sell milk in 568 ml containers just like they do with beer

• Registered Users Posts: 44 manarocket

BUMP

I found a few of the old bottles special edition ones they did..... in me da's shed...ones from the 1988 Dublin millenium and other ones from the 1990 world cup
    Would these be worth anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Its still perfectly legal to sell milk in 568 ml containers just like they do with beer

They backed up a bit alright ~ but remember our Government were like silly schoolgirls out to impress teacher so an recommendation from them became LAW here instantly.

We have our Miles Per Hour back, our Double Decker Busses and Milk Bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Milk has been sh!te since they done away with the glass bottle's, i don't drink tea or coffee myself and only use it on my cornflake's, but there was a time when i'd drink glass after glass of milk but not since the old glass bottle went.

We used to have dairy cattle on the farm

Bringing home a bucket of "raw" milk
    Still warm

I hated warm milk :P

Probably illegal and against regulations to that nowadays....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

manarocket wrote: »
    BUMP

I found a few of the old bottles special edition ones they did..... in me da's shed...ones from the 1988 Dublin millenium and other ones from the 1990 world cup

The World Cup '90 ones are worth about €250 to the right collector at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Wasn't it because of money.

Before they had to pay a milkman, maintain the truck or float and recycle the bottles.

Now they just deliver it to shops and their customer base in one fell swoop.

I liked the world better when there was milkmen, breadmen, paper rounds, rag and bone men, coal men and even insurance men,

Where did all those jobs go?

• Advertisement

Nowadays the lad knocking on your door is probably the TV license inspector :(

mikemac wrote: »
    Nowadays the lad knocking on your door is probably the TV license inspector :(

Or Rumanian beggars or chuggers.

X

Milk has been sh!te since they done away with the glass bottle's, i don't drink tea or coffee myself and only use it on my cornflake's, but there was a time when i'd drink glass after glass of milk but not since the old glass bottle went.

It's actually nothing to do with the glass bottles. Around the same time, most creameries began homogenising the milk. This disperses the cream in the milk rather than allowing it to rise to the top.

If you can get hold of unhomogenised milk then it should be just as good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Karsini wrote: »

It's actually nothing to do with the glass bottles. Around the same time, most creameries began homogenising the milk. This disperses the cream in the milk rather than allowing it to rise to the top.

I didn't know that thanks, I did here from a friend that unhomgenised milk will soon be done away with over here. The government is to ban it for some silly reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I didn't know that thanks, I did here from a friend that unhomgenised milk will soon be done away with over here. The government is to ban it for some silly reason.

It's the unpasteurized milk will be banned, by default that's also unhomegenised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

No question about it, milk with about an inch of cream at the top, was great out of bottles. There are still many small UK dairies using bottles and I don't think we have seen the last of them - of course Ireland will be the usual 20 years behind the rest when bottles make their comeback. Like everything else in Britain there is a Milk Bottle Collectors movement http://www.milkbottlenews.org.uk/index.html and lots of interesting links to check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭anto_daly

plain and simple , one man one jar(dont watch for your own good) that caused the relinquishing of the glass milk bottles. (please dont watch , please!) :L

manarocket wrote: »
    BUMP

How many of each have you got? I might take them off your hands

Couldn't agree more. I used ta love the cream of the milk on my cornflakes in the morning, of evening for that matter!! Sometimes i sneak a dollop of cream over them to remind me of the good aul days! I still drink gallons of the white stuff but it really just isn't the same anymore.
    Karsini wrote: »

I heard this on TV somewhere. Apparently it is some sort of law that they can't sell it through dairys, but you can sell it if you are a farmer.

Where the hell can us Dubs get some unhomogenised milk????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

This thread's so feckin old, that when I spotted a comment on the first page, I thought - "that's the kind of smart-arse comment that I would come out with"

You can guess the rest.:(

Advertisement