Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking at setting up a server for home and small business

• 09-06-2009 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking at purchasing a server for both home and small business use. I plan to use it for source control of development files, document management, videos, music etc.

I am hoping to find a solution that is not too expensive but as of now I am unaware of the cost of such servers. Could someone point me in the correct direction? Any offers about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Amateur wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am looking at purchasing a server for both home and small business use. I plan to use it for source control of development files, document management, videos, music etc.

I am hoping to find a solution that is not too expensive but as of now I am unaware of the cost of such servers. Could someone point me in the correct direction? Any offers about?

Hardware is cheap nowadays.
    I am sure Dell can sort you out with a reasonable server with at least RAID 1 (Mirror) so you have some sort of redundancy.

Now you can equip this server with Linux or Windows. There is a few solutions available in both worlds. What do you use/need for the OS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 railto

you could probably build it yourself a lot cheaper than buying new, just make sure you get decent parts and dont get them from PC world, Mplex in Belfast is good, i know its a trek, but may save u a good bit, and plenty of headaches too

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Amateur

mick.fr wrote: »
    Hardware is cheap nowadays.
    I am sure Dell can sort you out with a reasonable server with at least RAID 1 (Mirror) so you have some sort of redundancy.

Now you can equip this server with Linux or Windows. There is a few solutions available in both worlds. What do you use/need for the OS?

Thanks for both replies.

Would be looking at a windows server.

What would I be looking at cost wise? Had a look on Dell but wasnt sure of the best value for money, any suggestions. I have knowledge in IT, but my hardware skills would not be my strong point, hence the assistance required.

What are my OS options? Was looking at the Home Server, but that seems to be restricted to HP, is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Amateur

Could anyone recommend a server that would be suitable to my needs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Just looking at the basics at Dell and configured this which is just the basics with no OS, KB mouse or Monitor (hope the link works). Edit> LOL no it doesn't but add in 2GB RAM (or more) and two 750GB HDD's and you have the same thing /Edit

Use it as a starting point for discussion not a recommended best buy or anything.

You'll also need the Windows 2008 SBS at about 650euro for a 5 users licence and that will ONLY allow 5 machines to connect so if you have more its around another 150euro for another 5 licences.

So thats about 2K +VAT, and I'd still want to see something external like a couple of USB HDD's to back up on + a UPS around 1000 KV would be nice.

I'm sure Dell will do the Home server if you ask (phone) but its only a version of Windows SBS 2003 cut down and added to for home use, it might be easier for you to set up if you've no server experience.

Lets say your completly new to servers and don't have a bulls notion - for the sake of argument anyway - then I'd recommend you get a cheap old high spec P4 based system off eBay 200euro or less and download a trial (time limited) version of Windows Home Server and try it out. Thats a lot of experience you can get for 200 euro and will let you know if you really need to spend a lot of money on real server system, for 5 users it might be all you need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

ttm wrote: »
    You'll also need the Windows 2008 SBS at about 650euro for a 5 users licence and that will ONLY allow 5 machines to connect so if you have more its around another 150euro for another 5 licences.
    Not true, if you use User CALs (as opposed to device CALs), then you can connect as many machines as you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Actually I think we are both wrong ;)

I was thinking of SBS 2003 when I wrote the above but afaik SBS 2008 doesn't need cals to allow access as there is no licensing enforement in SBS 2008?

Someone will put me right on that I'm sure.

On the other hand I don't think the OP needs to run MS Exchange Server or have to worry about a MS Domain so I'd recommend trying Windows Home Server for free first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

Don't see how I'm wrong, you still need to license the product. Whether it's enforced or not is another matter entirely.

As far as I'm aware, SBS 2003 and Terminal Server are the only Microsoft Products that enforce CALs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 DLohan

If SBS 2008 is anything like 2003 it will include 5 CALs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

i run a home network with an old, small bit of hardware running linux - stable as it gets, never crashes, network run smooth and the cost was tiny.

• Advertisement
Advertisement