Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

inspiron 5150

Options
  • 09-02-2009 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I have an inspiron 5150 and seem to have a problem with keyboard. when i turn it on it starts to beep as if a key is stuck. then once it has booted, it will start to type 8888888888888888 periodically. All keys work with the exception of that one key "8".

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I have an inspiron 5150 and seem to have a problem with keyboard. when i turn it on it starts to beep as if a key is stuck. then once it has booted, it will start to type 8888888888888888 periodically. All keys work with the exception of that one key "8".

Any suggestions?

The key sounds like its damaged. If the laptop is under warranty phone Dell and organise a service call on it (it takes less than 10 minutes to replace the keyboard). If its out of warranty- hop onto ebay- you'll get a replacement keyboard for about a tenner- and then google how to change it yourself.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You can sometimes free it if you stick a penknife or a small flat headed screwdriver under the offending button and lift it up gently and spray tiny drop of contact cleaner. Other than that I would just order a replacement on Ebay and wouldn't bother with warranties.

You could be without the PC for a few days and at that they may put the blame on your self that liquid or a foreign object caused the damage.

I bought two keyboards for my EEEPC for €30 and kept one as spare after I spilt a few drops of coffee over the first.

Advertisement