Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roald Dahl

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

thejaguar wrote: »
    I read absolutely everything I could get my hands on by Roald Dahl as a kid.

BFG and Witches were my favourites - loved the idea of their square toes. i used to keep an eye out for ladies with big nostrils and gloves wherever I went. Especially if they were wearing pointy shoes....

"A REAL Witch is easily the most dangerous of all the creatures on earth!. What makes her doubly dangerous is the fact that she doesn't LOOK dangerous!"
    (The Witches' Intro)
    Never actually read the BFG (which I believe Dahl apparently modeled on himself) but absolutely loved The Witches (Still have the book) Loved so many things in it particularly the scene where the narrator (as a mouse) is nearly caught in the hotel kitchen and he runs up the chef's trouser leg! Also loved how all the witches themeselves are finally done away with!

Genius! Pure genius!

thejaguar wrote: »
    I read absolutely everything I could get my hands on by Roald Dahl as a kid.

BFG and Witches were my favourites - loved the idea of their square toes. i used to keep an eye out for ladies with big nostrils and gloves wherever I went. Especially if they were wearing pointy shoes....

Don't forget their claw-like hands and curved nostrils!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Don't forget their claw-like hands and curved nostrils!

And bald heads

branie2 wrote: »
    And bald heads

true enough! and their blue spit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Quentin Blake's illustrations were a great bonus to the books

• Advertisement

c - 13 wrote: »
    Was there another show like that called Stephen Kings Tales of the Unexpected ? I was a bit young to remember the Dahl one but I was full sure that there was a show with the same name associated with Stephen King but cant seem to find any information associated with it (It used to be on at 8PM on either RTE/NETWORK 2 on a SUnday night if that helps :D)

Not as far as I can recall. I also recall tales of the unexpected. remember that theme tune so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Most nostalgic theme tune, even the graphics...

Dream of long ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc46Gk-6qrA

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Been so long since I read a Roald Dahl book. Gonna have to break one out over christmas

katemarch wrote: »
    Most nostalgic theme tune, even the graphics...

Dream of long ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc46Gk-6qrA

a very memorable theme indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Been so long since I read a Roald Dahl book. Gonna have to break one out over christmas

Me too. I have very fond memories of Roald Dahl's books. We had a really lovely teacher in 4th class who used to read us a few chapters of a RD book after lunch ever day. Danny the Champion of the World and James and the Giant Peach are the ones I remember best. Happy days. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

c - 13 wrote: »
    Was there another show like that called Stephen Kings Tales of the Unexpected ? I was a bit young to remember the Dahl one but I was full sure that there was a show with the same name associated with Stephen King but cant seem to find any information associated with it (It used to be on at 8PM on either RTE/NETWORK 2 on a SUnday night if that helps :D)

Darkroom? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081849/

There was also Tales From The Darkside but that didn't start until almost 11.00pm on Monday nights.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The Twits was my first introduction to Roald Dahl, our teacher read it to us one chapter a day in second class. He was great, he'd do all the voices and everything - magic :D

The Witches or Matilda were probably my favourite. We actually did Danny the Champion of the World for our Junior Cert! Lol.

I see they have made a movie of Esio Trot with Dustin Hoffman and Julie Goodyear - I never read that one though.

Advertisement