Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laserdisc players

• 18-10-2014 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭

This is a bit of a long shot question, but did anyone here ever own one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I owned one of these
    http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/pioneer/pioneer_cld-s315/pioneer_cld-s315.htm

Think I had about 5 discs. Can't even remember what they were now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It'd only be a long shot question if you were looking for one. Are you looking for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No, just wondering if people here owned one. They were the forerunners to DVD players

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They were big in the US, not so much in the UK and from what I can gather, practically non-existent in Ireland.

NIMAN wrote: »
    They were big in the US, not so much in the UK and from what I can gather, practically non-existent in Ireland.

They had a stuttering start in the US. Never really took off. Huge in Japan and Hong Kong. Never really gained any sort of popularity here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Supposed to be better quality than DVDs.

fiachr_a wrote: »

Yes, I heard about that

But a much lower capacity on a huge format medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Id love a laserdisk player (and obviously disks and the space for both :o )
    Something about them always amazed me. Probably the size of them. I dont know why but putting one on almost seems like an event in itself :pac:

Id love a laserdisk player (and obviously disks and the space for both :o )
    Something about them always amazed me. Probably the size of them. I dont know why but putting one on almost seems like an event in itself :pac:

Get a turntable. Vinyl is the same size, it's cheaper, and it's widely available. Also sounds better!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Didn't own one but was good friends with somebody who did.

He purchased the laserdiscs in Tower Records and on visits to London. They were shockingly expensive.

My first copy of A Clockwork Orange was purchased in 1993. A VHS dub from the Dutch laserdisc. Great quality. £20.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Think I read somewhere that the animated video for Kraftwerks Autobahn(the one they used to always show on RTE in the 80s) was the very first laserdisc release.

That's very interesting!

The very first audio commentary was on a laserdisc, for the film King Kong

Personally I wouldn't think that, if the bit rate of the DVD was sufficient.

LaserDiscs had a horizontal resolution of 425x480 (NTSC) or 440x576 (PAL) and were analogue composite video. So DVD is capable of higher horizontal resolutions, 720x480 and 720x576 respectively, and RGB video.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

one of the worlds worst jobs , quality control for laserdiscs

you had to sit and watch 4 screens playing the same film, repeatedly

*kill me now*

Advertisement