Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irresponsibility of pet owners

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

mikom wrote: »
    If a neighbors cat was shiting in my (future) childs sand pit then I would not think twice about shooting it with the air rifle.

http://toxoplasmosis.org/infotox.html

No other alternatives at hand? Covering the sand pit or something?

Honestly, just because they are animals and not humans, the should not be treated like dirt. There are so many ways to scare away a cat or a dog (eg. they don't like noise), so why does anyone come up with the artillery? :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    If you could use "reasonable force" against animals, how would my cats be able to take a dump in your garden? I think that it is you who is being unreasonable Sir.
    Funny thing is cats can be bitey buggers and scratch and crap in gardens, horses can be right vicious feckers if you're not careful, they've even killed people, but how many cats or horses are put down because they're a "danger to society". Bugger all. However a dog snaps at a kid or adult (and 9 times outa 10 it's for good reason*) and the handwringers are out in force. And god do we have some real bloody handwringers in this society. And they're getting worse. The Moll Flanders effect is strong of late.

*Pulling a dogs ears or tail, trying to hug the dog etc. Both stupid moves that people regularly do. Yep try that with the family cat and it'll naturally go apeshít a lot of the time. The problem is too many people think dogs are "furry kids", half humans. No, you dope, they're animals, descended from and the same species as one of the most successful apex predators on the planet. TBH I'm actually shocked more dog attacks don't happen. Teach people and especially kids, don't approach a strange dog. Do NOT hug one. Do not pull at any part of it. Actually don't pat it on the head, they see this as a threat if they don't know you. And NEVER leave any child alone with a dog, especially one that could do real damage, though even a terrier will fcuk you up. If they do and the child is hurt it's as much the parents fault as the dogs.

Dog owners? Cop on. Keep your dog under control. Train it, expose it to all sorts of social situations when young. Clean up their shíte. They can't do it, so it's up to you. Men with small penis syndrome? Don't get a Doberman or Staffy or a husky cos you think it looks like a wolf(they don't). They're all great dogs and deserve better than someone with ego problems. Instead stuff some socks down your jocks. It'll have the same effect of making you look like a wanker, but at least no dog or breed will be harmed by it. I know, strange concept? Personal responsibility's a bitch.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lars1916 wrote: »
    There are so many ways to scare away a cat or a dog (eg. they don't like noise), so why does anyone come up with the artillery? :mad:
    Small penis syndrome again. Behind much of the world woes methinks. Nick a leopard or wolf from the zoo. Insert in said garden. Watch small penis retract even further.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

GarIT wrote: »
    I know that, but if a cat or dog wanders into my front garden to do its business do you not think i should be allowed give it a good kick without the risk of being sued.

No, While I don't appreciate dogs and cats roaming free either it doesn't give anyone the right to hurt the animal. My next door neighbours cat comes into our garden quite often, both to tease my dog and go to the toilet. I had a chat with the owners and in fairness they have tried to stop it happening.

My dog sneaked out of my house one day when I was getting shopping out of my car and he plodded down the road and into a neighbours garden and left them a steaming 'present'. The house owner came up shouting at me that my dog just had a 'SH*T' in her garden and what was I going to do about it? I was mortified for her, I calmly apologised and walked down with a bag and picked up the poo. I swear though if she had kicked my dog I would have grabbed her by the head a stuck her face in it :D and I'm the calm one remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I remember when someone's daughter was badly bitten by a loose dog. The reaction from the parent was

"Give me five minutes alone with that b*stard dog".
    I can understand that they were very upset but exacting "revenge" on an animal with no concept of right or wrong is just ****ing stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Ah I couldn't let my little Fizz out the front by herself, she'd be robbed or run over in no time. Much too friendly for traffic. Most of the dogs around the neighbourhood are nice well bred beasts, but there's one little bastard of a border collie who I swear has been trained to attack strangers roaming about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Wibbs wrote: »
    Small penis syndrome again. Behind much of the world woes methinks. Nick a leopard or wolf from the zoo. Insert in said garden. Watch small penis retract even further.

Roll up, roll up, Folks! Just one night! Watch the Amazing Addadoo and his Shrinking Penis!

Horrifying! Electrifying! You'll pay to unsee it! Come on now, roll up, roll up!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

If a dog is wandering it's the owners fault so kick the owner, put the owner down if you want to punish someone. Dogs are animals they react to how they are treated, trained etc. Good dogs owners pick up after their dogs, train them, keep them in and try to ensure silly kids stay away when walking unless they will do what they're told. My jack Russell isn't a teddy and doesn't lke being picked up, especially not by strange kids. If he bites one they'll try to make me put him down. Nope not a chance.
    Ever kick my dogs get ready for me to lose it with you completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

mikom wrote: »
    Farmers can.
    Lambing season...... dog spotted....... Bang Bang

Nope not true at all, well not legally straight away and it has to be reported to the gardai within 48hours.
    23.—(1) It shall be a defence to any action for damages against a person for the shooting of a dog, or to any charge arising out of the shooting of a dog, if the defendant proves that—

(a) the dog was shot when it was worrying, or was about to worry, livestock and that there were no other reasonable means of ending or preventing the worrying; or

(b) (i) the dog was a stray dog which was in the vicinity of a place where livestock had been injured or killed, and

(ii) the defendant reasonably believed that the dog had been involved in the injury or killing, and

(iii) there were no practicable means of seizing the dog or ascertaining to whom it belonged; and

(c) he was the person in charge of the livestock; and

(d) he notified within forty-eight hours the member in charge at the nearest Garda Station to the place where the dog was shot of the incident.

(2) The provisions of subsection (1) (a) and subsection (1) (b) (i) and (iii) of this section shall be deemed to have been satisfied if the defendant believed that those provisions had been satisfied and he had reasonable grounds for that belief.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/sec0023.html#sec23

If he does it the proper way he can land the dead dog on the owners door step along the vet bills/ disposal charges for the dead lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

There's a shocking number of whiny cloistered idiots in this thread.

I let my dog out all the time.

Number of attacks: 0
    Number of times he ****s in somebody's garden: 0
    Number of times my dog has been attacked by keyboard warriors: 0, they're all inside on the internet crying about something.
    Number of fúcks I give: 0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

It's also interesting when a cat does something good it's "dawww so cuuttee". But when it claws and scratches at people it's still "dawww so cuuttee".

Fúcking hate cats.

Actually people are a lot harder on cats then on dogs. If a dog misbehaves its apparently the owner's fault, but if a cat misbehaves its 'evil and up to something'
    Never mind that cats have very small brains and are incapable of knowing the concepts of right and wrong, much less being 'evil'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150684371567474.457890.270131087473&type=1
    These poor dogs were left out to wonder too now look at them. They did nothing to deserve to end up here. Take care of your canine friends don't be irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

A lot of Webosterone here tonight :P got a problem with dogs coming into your gardin? Get a gate! Dogs barking at you when you walk past a house? Give them a snack next time! (Throw it over, they will take it as a peace offering. Make sure the kids know not all dogs are like grannys terrier. Besides most dogs, like mine, are all bark and are friendly once they don't see a threat. And fu*k cats, they do what they want, leave them be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Shoot all trespassers, especially kittens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

When I see a dog wandering the streets I stop, check its tag and call it's owners. Everytime I've called (happens approx once a month) it's been a case of the dog has gotten out accidentally and the owners were thankful to get them home safe. Never once encountered an owner who let their dog roam.

The odd time the dog doesn't have a tag in which case I call the local guards and alert them in case someone calls them in as missing. If the dog looks in trouble/scared, I'll try help it- drop it into the vet to check for microchip/contact nearest rescue (avoid pounds as much as possible).

One dog I found wandering the streets turned out to have escaped from a haulting site in the area and had been badly treated. He's been living with me for over 8 months now. I'd never let them out of the house alone. And I hope if he accidentally got out, someone good would return him to me asap (even have "reward if found" written on his tag)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

One of the major reasons Europe dominated the world was that we developed resistance to various diseases by living in filth with our animals, these diseases then wiped out all those nice clean savages we encountered and helping to enable the modern world we have around us now.
    Embrace the filth people, it's what made us what we are. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

One of the major reasons Europe dominated the world was that we developed resistance to various diseases by living in filth with our animals

But when the Africans tried it they got the AIDS :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Randomer.

What do yous think about being allowed catch the animal and then pass the owner onto the pound who would then issue a fine to the owner and put the animal down if its not paid.

Jaysus you hate animals don't you.

Are you from the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    But when the Africans tried it they got the AIDS :confused:
    That was the filthy living, not living in the filth. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

It's very rare for a dog to just go up and bite a child for no reason the child is usually pulling out of it so it's up to the parent to teach the child not to go near strange dogs.
    As someone else said close your gate so dogs wont go into your garden. Cats get an awful rap from people. It's very difficult to keep an outdoor cat from going into someone's garden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

ziggy23 wrote: »
    As someone else said close your gate so dogs wont go into your garden.

Surely the onus is on dog owners to close their gates so that the dogs arent out wandering the streets in the first place ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

gsxr1 wrote: »
    its not on.

People down our street let their dog escape. The thing ran out and attacked my son. Needless to say the dog warden was called and the dog was put down that week.

They hate us now. But my son is scarred for life on his leg.

Stupid X dog owners.

Fcuk them (and I'm a - responsible - dog owner). Is the lad OK?

DanWall wrote: »
    One good thing about the floods in our town, it washed all of the streets of dog ****, now it's back again and need to watch your step. Filthy dog and owners

Not all owners are the same. We have an 18 month-old Yorkie. We purchased the poop scoop and bags on eBay. Two seconds to pick the stuff up. Owners who don't should be prosecuted. End of. Here in Waterford its the same. Some streets are like skating rinks with the stuff. Happened to me at work on Friday. All I felt was 'plop'.:mad: It got into the ridges on the working boot soles, etc. Horrific.

Randomer. wrote: »
    Jaysus you hate animals don't you.

Are you from the country?
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

We have a much bigger problem in this country and it's irresponsible parents.

ziggy23 wrote: »
    It's very rare for a dog to just go up and bite a child for no reason the child is usually pulling out of it so it's up to the parent to teach the child not to go near strange dogs.
    As someone else said close your gate so dogs wont go into your garden. Cats get an awful rap from people. It's very difficult to keep an outdoor cat from going into someone's garden.
    For feck's sake why should they have to close the gate?:confused: If the idiot owners kept their animals under control there would be no need to. Children first - animals a distant second.

skregs wrote: »
    There's a shocking number of whiny cloistered idiots in this thread.

I let my dog out all the time.

Number of attacks: 0
    Number of times he ****s in somebody's garden: 0
    Number of times my dog has been attacked by keyboard warriors: 0, they're all inside on the internet crying about something.
    Number of fúcks I give: 0

A responsible owner so.:rolleyes: What breed is he BTW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

The thing that annoys me about punishing animals is the sort of correction that takes place too late for the animal to know what's going on. It's the classic thing of a dog owner coming across Rover eating a pair of shoes, and correcting him, when the poor dog doesn't know why he's being shouted at (or worse).

If you are going to reprimand an animal, you must do it as soon as they take an undesirable action, so that they will form a clear mental link between that action and the correction. There is no point in taking your frustration out on the dog one or two hours later, when some sin has been discovered.

I think horse owners deserve special mention here. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing some kid, (or worse, an adult) misusing the whip. You see some awfully bad riders hitting their mounts for having missed a corner or turned the wrong way, or cantered off on the wrong leg, when the horse was only told to do so by their bad riding in the first place.

Anyway, I know these are not especially relevant to wandering animals, which in an urban environment I agree is down to bad manners and poor pet ownership. However, I do question the extent to which this actually affects people, unless the dog in question is mating with your animals, or attacking someone. If he's just having a nosey around your garden, so what?

What do boardsies thing about pet owners that allow their pets to roam the street? Personally I hate them.

I'm sure most people know about the new law that allows us to use reasonable force on an intruder on your property but do you think should we be allowed use this on animals?

No because a dog or a cat isnt going to try and rob or rape you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

a good toe up the hole of a dog that tries to shite on your lawn

Not wise while it's doing a shíte

Advertisement