Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In over my head!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ruosullivan

Jumpy wrote: »
    No. When you connect to your mail server to get POP and IMAP you specify an IP address or host name.

a hostname, mail.*******.ie

I've tried the wan ip but i get the same message.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

What is the message?

What is the message?

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

Send test e-mail message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

Seeing as the only server settings that were changed were through ICW, is it possible the problem lies elsewhere?

Here's a quick run through of what i did yesterday.

1) Had domain host change mx records to new fixed WAN IP Address supplied by ISP
    2) Changed modem and configured Port forwarding to match old router
    3) Ran ICW and input ISP provided IP address and new DNS settings

All computers that use exchange work fine

also

The hoster just notified me that the IP address was not responding to ICMP pings...........could this be related

No. Your router will block ICMP by default. As long they can connect to your SMTP server on port 25 then your connection is up.

You have tried downloading POP3 mail using the LAN address? 192.168.x.x?

• Advertisement

You have tried downloading POP3 mail using the LAN address? 192.168.x.x?

That works, but that means that it won't work outside the network!!

Can PCs on the LAN access the internet?

That works, but that means that it won't work outside the network!!

Your DC is a DNS server yes?

When the PCs are given an address internally by DHCP do they have their DNS server set to the SBS server?

I am beginning to think it might be your internal DNS still hanging onto the old Public IP of your router.

I've setup two outlook profiles for those who use their computer out of the office.

It's not ideal but it'll have to do for the moment. I've been doing everything remotely; however i'm going to the premises later in the week and i'll stick the old line&modem setup on to see if it works. if it does, i'll happily blame the BT Voyager 2110

I'm extreeemly grateful of your time and patience

From one of the PCs on your LAN that isnt working with POP3 try running the following command from a DOS window.

nslookup externalhostname

where externalhostname is the host name that you usually use for pop3.

See if the IP matches what you expect (ie your newly assigned IP from your ISP)

• Advertisement

Your DC is a DNS server yes?

When the PCs are given an address internally by DHCP do they have their DNS server set to the SBS server?

I am beginning to think it might be your internal DNS still hanging onto the old Public IP of your router.

DHCP assigns the server IP as the DNS settings.

I've put the DNS settings manually via ICW twice now, how would i check to see if their being used???

despite this, e-mail via blackberry, pop3 & imap from outside the network are fine

See if the IP matches what you expect (ie your newly assigned IP from your ISP)

ran on the server and another pc, came up with witht he correct WAN IP on both

Ok so something is stopping your internal machines getting access to your Public address.

Can they access the internet normally?

Ok so something is stopping your internal machines getting access to your Public address.

Can they access the internet normally?

Internet work perfectly

I can only assume there is an issue with the port forwarding then. I dont know the router, maybe its set to only forward requests coming from external.

You can add an A record to your Domain Controllers DNS to point the public host name to a private IP to sort of do a "band-aid" fix, but that might be getting overcomplicated if you dont know DNS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

I can only assume there is an issue with the port forwarding then. I dont know the router, maybe its set to only forward requests coming from external.

You can add an A record to your Domain Controllers DNS to point the public host name to a private IP to sort of do a "band-aid" fix, but that might be getting overcomplicated if you dont know DNS.

all of that might apply IF there wasnt an ISA component involved.. if there were issues with port forwarding or dns then the mail wouldnt be working on the server.. ive seen this hundreds of times and is very common with ISA - you need to ammend settings on firewall client to allow clients access pop and lots of other external ports..

if you want to test once and for all just disable firewall client on one of the PC's and set a static IP and make sure to put the IP address of ISA server as default GW and it should work ..

There isnt an ISA component involved. Hes already stated that. Hes just using the broadband router as the gateway device.

Internet to Mail Server via Router (Public IP) = working - this means that he has port forwarding set correctly.
    PC to Mail Server via Router (Public IP) = not working - This is the primary issue.
    PC to mail server via router (Private IP) = working - This means the PCs themselves are not the problem.

In theory when he uses the PCs on the private network to access the Public IP it should still route correctly, but it isnt. The PCs can access POP3 fine, just not from the Public address.

corkcomp wrote: »
    ive seen this hundreds of times and is very common with ISA - you need to ammend settings on firewall client to allow clients access pop and lots of other external ports..

I had been told before that the BT Voyager 2110 is know to have issues with SBS.

I have a zyxel and a linksys that i'm going to pre-configure. I'm heading up to them on thursday so i'll swap out the modem early am and see how it goes, i can't think of anything else!

The problem on occured when the new modem was installed on the new line, i have to believe that the problem lies there. I can't use the old modem as it's ancient and only supports ADSL, the new line is ADSL2+

The dual profiles in outlook will keep them happy for a couple of days.

Thankyou both for your time and patience, i'll let you know ho i get on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

There isnt an ISA component involved. Hes already stated that. Hes just using the broadband router as the gateway device.

Internet to Mail Server via Router (Public IP) = working - this means that he has port forwarding set correctly.
    PC to Mail Server via Router (Public IP) = not working - This is the primary issue.
    PC to mail server via router (Private IP) = working - This means the PCs themselves are not the problem.

In theory when he uses the PCs on the private network to access the Public IP it should still route correctly, but it isnt. The PCs can access POP3 fine, just not from the Public address.

Isn't this routing issue fairly typical using consumer level broadband routers with NAT?
    As Jumpy stated, typical solution is to set up the internal DNS server, i.e. Windows SBS to direct the mail.****.ie as an alias to the server's internal IP address.

Then the issue is that you don't want this server to be the authoritive server for all ****.ie records. i.e you might not want to have to duplicate and maintain all the www.****.ie, ftp.****.ie, smtp.****.ie or whatever else you might have on your domain.

So on the windows domain server, you go to the DNS server management console, create a forward zone for the full domain name mail.****.ie.
    Then within this you create an alias record with a blank name, and with the address set to the internal server name.

I wen't to log in via remote acces last night and the line was down. I rang BT Business care and they stated that it's a common fault with the Voyager 2110. I pointed out that this was our second one, and i was told that this is also quite common!!!

I setup a linksys this morning, drove up to the premises and swapped out the modem.......... lo and behold, everything works great. So it turns out it was the modem after all!!!

• Advertisement

I have a second problem, and i don't want to push my luck but your advice would be appreciated.

A few emails are getting bounced. The error message reads:

TLS Connect Failed; connected to ***.***.***.*** I'm not going to .................yadda yadda yadda

I've checked the Virtual SMTP Connector and TLS is not selected; however in my research (Dr. Google) i've found someone with a pretty identicle problem. Their solution was to remove the certificate from the SMTP connector properties window.........but would this cause problems elswhere, or is it removing the certificate form this connector only???

The other possible solution was to setup a second connecotr with TLS enabled.........

Whaddia think??

Are the bounced emails incoming to you or outgoing to another address?

Is it always the same address or is it random?

If its random addresses that used to work, give it a day or two, your MX or A record has recently been changed. Dont quote me on this but I think TLS needs matching MX and Public IPs otherwise it fails. Some servers may not have your updated MX/A yet.

I assume you didnt actually change your mx record when the IP changed, just the A record for your mail.companyname.xxx, would I be right?

Are the bounced emails incoming to you or outgoing to another address?

Is it always the same address or is it random?

Incoming.

I've been informed of 4 people who's e-mails are not getting through. i've contacted all 4 to ask if they are getting a bounce message, but only one replied. In his 3 attempts, he only recieved one error message which came a day after sending the message.

They have been using personal e-mail address (yahoo, gmail etc.) to send the e-mail, whcih is pretty inconvenient

If its random addresses that used to work, give it a day or two, your MX or A record has recently been changed. Dont quote me on this but I think TLS needs matching MX and Public IPs otherwise it fails. Some servers may not have your updated MX/A yet.

This problem existed before the A record was changed. The MX record, mail.*****.ie was not changed

By the sound of it the other end thinks you are offering TLS. Both sending and receiving servers need it configured.

Has TLS ever worked for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

It'd help if the full error message was provided.

You can check whether your server is advertising that it supports TLS by bring up a command window and trying to impersonate a mail server

Start> Run> CMD

telnet yourserver 25

This should give you a message like...
    220 myserver.ie Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.x.x.x

Type
    EHLO myclientpc.example.ie

The Server will respond with...

250-myserver.ie Hello [127.0.0.1]
    250-TURN
    250-SIZE
    250-ETRN
    250-PIPELINING
    250-DSN
    250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    ---
    250 OK

If your server is advertising that it supports TLS then one of the lines will be
    250 STARTTLS

If it does then perhaps a required certificate has expired.
    If it does not then perhaps the sending server is configured to not send mail unless the recipient server supports TLS.

Adding a certificate is found by right clicking on the virtual connector. Click on the 'Access' tab. Click on the 'Certificate' button under Secure Communication.

ressem wrote: »
    If your server is advertising that it supports TLS then one of the lines will be
    250 STARTTLS

I rant telnet as described above and "250 STARTTLS" did come up.

2 Questions

1) TLS is not selected in either "Authentication" nor "Outbound Security". Does this matter? Should i select them before working on the certificate

2)If i ignore the tls tick boxes detailed above, and go straight to the certificate, select "Renew", i only have the option to prepair the request and send later. it this right???

• Advertisement

Is it set to required on the Default SMTP Virtual Server?

Advertisement