Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Food Science UL - Pros and Cons

Options
  • 26-01-2015 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I'm thinking of putting Food Science in UL as my first choice on CAO
    I did my LC last year and did Science Ed (biological) but really struggled with the physics module so I decided to take the rest of the year out. I really don't want to make the same mistake so
    I'm trying to make a very informed decision.

Can anyone who did/ is doing Food Science tell me about it?

What kind of person would this course be suited to? What are the pros and cons etc...
    Please don't tell me to go onto the up website I've done that, what I'm looking for is real life experience of the course!! Be brutally honest - don't sugar coat it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Hi

Graduated in Food Science last May, it depends what you want to work at when you finish, Am working in the Dairy Industry Lab but looking to get into New product development eventually. The course itself is handy enough if like all degrees you put the work in. Mainly Chemistry and Biology modules that build up your knowledge over the 4 years. Plenty of scope for coop and I'd say that nearly all my course are working or went on to further study.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Hi

Graduated in Food Science last May, it depends what you want to work at when you finish, Am working in the Dairy Industry Lab but looking to get into New product development eventually. The course itself is handy enough if like all degrees you put the work in. Mainly Chemistry and Biology modules that build up your knowledge over the 4 years. Plenty of scope for coop and I'd say that nearly all my course are working or went on to further study.

Can you comment on the ability to advance with solely a bachelors degree? Might not be something a 6th year has thought about!

Can you comment on the ability to advance with solely a bachelors degree? Might not be something a 6th year has thought about!

Are you referring to advancing to employment or further study?

Employment in the food industry is very good at the moment esp in the Dairy industry were the European milk quotas are ending in March and all the major Dairy players in Ireland are expanding their processing operations. Once you complete the degree course your are a qualified Food Scientist although with work experience you'll will always gain knowledge as new products and technologies are developed. All the major players offer good 2 or 3 year graduate programs that are reasonably well paid €25/30k. There are also many options that you can take to advance your career either in Production, R&D, Lab work or research. Getting a First Class or 2.1 also helps your cause to get into the best positions. This course is becoming more popular there were 28 students that graduated with me but I believe that the intake for this year was over 100 taking into account the average drop out of 25% that still leaves 75 due to graduate in 2018.

Also Food Scientist is employable worldwide and on the major skills shortage lists for Oz/NZ, US and Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

That sort of information is the stuff students need,
    as not many know going into some courses that they are essentially tied to do a phd to get anywhere in industry,
    or abandon the career.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Molojan

Employment in the food industry is very good at the moment esp in the Dairy industry were the European milk quotas are ending in March and all the major Dairy players in Ireland are expanding their processing operations. Once you complete the degree course your are a qualified Food Scientist although with work experience you'll will always gain knowledge as new products and technologies are developed. All the major players offer good 2 or 3 year graduate programs that are reasonably well paid €25/30k. There are also many options that you can take to advance your career either in Production, R&D, Lab work or research. Getting a First Class or 2.1 also helps your cause to get into the best positions. This course is becoming more popular there were 28 students that graduated with me but I believe that the intake for this year was over 100 taking into account the average drop out of 25% that still leaves 75 due to graduate in 2018.

Also Food Scientist is employable worldwide and on the major skills shortage lists for Oz/NZ, US and Canada.

Wow - thanks for the answer I appreciate you going into such detail! It's great to know that there are jobs for some

• Advertisement

Wow thanks for the detailed answer! It means a lot that the level 8 degree is enough to get you a job in many areas of the field. Can I ask if you think this degree (and possible careers from it) would be suited to a people person?
    Thtats my biggest worry about food science - to be stuck in a lab in a very impersonal job. I got A's in biology chemistry and geography which I'm presuming would all be linked? Maths is a very definite weak point of mine I should add. Thanks agin for your time.

Speaking from experience of my Lab it is far from a solitary position, there are always meetings, people from other departments coming an going and plenty of chat with my colleagues during the working day. It is better and you'll get further as a people person. Maths was my only problem during the course as I went back as a mature student having never done my leaving cert but there is plenty of help with the maths learning center if you go an ask. If you enjoy food its a big plus and if your interested in how is produced from a technical point of view even better.

Speaking from experience of my Lab it is far from a solitary position, there are always meetings, people from other departments coming an going and plenty of chat with my colleagues during the working day. It is better and you'll get further as a people person. Maths was my only problem during the course as I went back as a mature student having never done my leaving cert but there is plenty of help with the maths learning center if you go an ask. If you enjoy food its a big plus and if your interested in how is produced from a technical point of view even better.

Thank you again for the detailed information - this is the kind of stud that you can't find on a prospectus. Just on a final note - I'm not sure if you'd be able to give me any information on this but nothing ventured nothing gained! What is the difference between Food Science and Health in UL and Nutrition and Health Science in CIT? Is the one in UL more geared twoards Industry or something along those lines? Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Molojan wrote: »
    Thank you again for the detailed information - this is the kind of stud that you can't find on a prospectus. Just on a final note - I'm not sure if you'd be able to give me any information on this but nothing ventured nothing gained! What is the difference between Food Science and Health in UL and Nutrition and Health Science in CIT? Is the one in UL more geared twoards Industry or something along those lines? Thanks again.

Is the CIT a bachelors degree?

Better to study the course that would emphasis chemistry and biochemistry.

Molojan wrote: »

I worked with peeps that have done the CIT degree and they are along the same lines, UL course leaders are big into Dairy and it is heavily loaded for that but with the EU milk quotas being lifted thats no bad thing, UL have just announced a 35M euro investment through Enterprise Ireland into Milk and Milk proteins research so employment at the end of the course is almost guaranteed, also CIT coop is shorter and falls mid season so they find it harder to get placement and experience is what employers are looking for. I personally loved my time in UL met a lot of new friends and still regularly visit the campus for coffee and chats with the ones that have gone on to masters and PHds. I say that 95% of my class at did not go on for masters etc are working in the Food processing industry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement