Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Steyr replacement

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Oh right, so infantry only, until the other corps have to work with infantry, then that day, train them how to use the enhancements?

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Oh right, so infantry only, until the other corps have to work with infantry, then that day, train them how to use the enhancements?

Well done.

Not quite, everyone trains on the original weapon... the Aug A1, any troops going onto frontline duty, i.e. Nordic Battlegroup, overseas etc into an AOO where it is deemed the upgraded rifle will be used are given the new housings with the rail system pre-deployment to allow themselves to become firmiliar with the new sight system etc.

I'm assuming their only upgrading the housings to the A3 style with rails for attachment of different sights etc? If this is incorrect then my idea is obviously wrong and wouldn't work.

If its a completely new rifle then a systematic changeover from the old to the new rifle would probably be the best course of action I would think.

Oh and by the way, I don't think your sarcastic "Well done" is appropriate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

[Mod]A couple of posts removed, there.

OS, let it drop, please.[/Mod]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Well done.

The Brits did this for years with the L85. RLC and other supporting arms still have Iron Sights in the UK AFAIK. Not the ideal scenario, however army's rarely get their wish list, rather what the Treasury/Finance Department will allow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

The suggestion that the Infantry corps are the only ones doing real soldiering in the Irish DF is preposterious and very ill informed.

It's as proposterous as winding out the old line of "Cav and Artillery do the infantry role as well as the infantry do, and do their own jobs as well."

Cav and Arty don't do the Infantry role and the Infantry don't do the Cav or Arty role. Not one of those Corps you mentioned operate the same, have the same ORBAT's or equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Poccington wrote: »
    It's as proposterous as winding out the old line of "Cav and Artillery do the infantry role as well as the infantry do, and do their own jobs as well."

Cav and Arty don't do the Infantry role and the Infantry don't do the Cav or Arty role. Not one of those Corps you mentioned operate the same, have the same ORBAT's or equipment.

Of course not.
    But would you agree that there is no reason why a member of a Cav CTR should be carrying a different weapon to an infantry recce patrol? Why a Arty FOO should be equipped differently to an infantry sniper, for example?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

In ireland now, are the infantry components of an overseas Bn made up of soley infanteers or do they build an infantry unit from whoever is available regardless of that individuals corps? I thought that this was the old way and now generally infantry did infantry jobs etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Of course not.
    But would you agree that there is no reason why a member of a Cav CTR should be carrying a different weapon to an infantry recce patrol? Why a Arty FOO should be equipped differently to an infantry sniper, for example?

I would imagine that given the fact they're doing different jobs, they would be equipped differently...? Only my 2 cents lads, don't want to join the argument!

Would a sniper not carry either the DMR or one of the heavier sniper rifles and an Arty FOO would carry either the steyr or the steyr + m203???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Excuse my ignorance but why is it just steyr that is in the running. I know nothing of military contracts but would an Irish soldier not prefer something like the m16A4 or something similar? Proven in battle etc....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Steyr is a proven weapon already.

it has seen combat, not just with ourselves but also with australian army, new zealand army, italian special forces, uruguay army, US immigration and customs service and austrians. Argentina is currently replacing its M16A2's with steyr augs.

its a decent weapon, simple to handle, accurate and very reliable in all conditions, its well built and well balanced and has a number of firing modes and interchangeable components etc.

Why go to the expense of re-equipping the entire army with a completely new weapon system? They are just talking about the upgrade of the existing kit to better sights and mounting systems - cheaper IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

constantg wrote: »
    I would imagine that given the fact they're doing different jobs, they would be equipped differently...? Only my 2 cents lads, don't want to join the argument!

Would a sniper not carry either the DMR or one of the heavier sniper rifles and an Arty FOO would carry either the steyr or the steyr + m203???

I'm a tanker, I carry a carbine equipped the same way as the infantry types are.

It's just down to money, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Of course not.

Of course a Cav troop should be using the same optics as a Recce Platoon, as in the best optics available. Don't quite see why a FOO would be armed the same way a Sniper would be though.

I think Tez was merely using his example in a Corps wide sense, rather than specific tasks. If you think of Arty, you think of gun lines first, rather than FOO's. I think he was trying to cover specific tasks when he said "Infantry type taks". I certainly don't think he was on a "Infantry do everything" buzz, which evoled into quite the ill tempered discussion. :pac:

Morphéus wrote: »
    In ireland now, are the infantry components of an overseas Bn made up of soley infanteers or do they build an infantry unit from whoever is available regardless of that individuals corps? I thought that this was the old way and now generally infantry did infantry jobs etc?

Infantry tasks go to Infantry heads.
    constantg wrote: »

Yes.
    Excuse my ignorance but why is it just steyr that is in the running. I know nothing of military contracts but would an Irish soldier not prefer something like the m16A4 or something similar? Proven in battle etc....

It's not a brand new rifle that's being bought, it's merely an upgrade for the A1's we currently have.

As for proven in battle, the Aussie's and Kiwi's are both using them in A'Stan.
    It's just down to money, really.

That's pretty much the nail on the head. If it's down to money and limited amounts of optics being bought at a time, they'll go to priority Unit's first.

Advertisement