Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solid Oak Table Top

• 28-11-2010 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi Folks,

I have a table with a solid oak frame, the table top is glass, the glass basically just sits on top of the frame.

I'd like to replace the glass top with a solid oak table top, as close a match as possible to the frame.

The dimensions of the table are 94cm x 220cm.

Any ideas on where I could get a large enough piece of wood to do this and what the likely cost would be.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

you will need to join multiple boards together to achieve that size.try your local joinery to get them to plane up the planks for you

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BitsAndBytes

Thanks Galwaydude, do you know if this type of work is expensive?

Would it be possible to get the joinery to provide the top in a finished state? ie. treated and ready for use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I would imagine they should be able to provide the table top in a finished state. Not sure how much it would cost. Your joinery should be crying out for work in this current climate so you could be suprised at how cheap they might do it for you

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭keith gallagher

Dunnes Workshop in Rahugh in Kilbeggan looked after a table top for my mother. My sisters kids done a bit of a job on it. They mixed a stain to match the existing colour then sanded it down and re-sprayed it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Oddly enough I had a Customer in Yesterday in sorta the same boat, had a Wrought Iron table with a Glass top, and Kids being Kids the Table no longer has a top.

Joining some 200 - 250 X38/50 mm Boards up is probably the easiest way to do it,

Keith, thanks for the advice.

Mahatama, where abouts are you based, and what is the likely cost of this. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks again to all who replied.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Keith, thanks for the advice.

Mahatama, where abouts are you based, and what is the likely cost of this. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Ah, I'm in Brisbane in Australia, So Delivery might be a bit exxy :D:D:D

Just a tad.

Thanks again for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭keith gallagher

Ah, I'm in Brisbane in Australia, So Delivery might be a bit exxy :D:D:D

Man I'm so envious of you guys in Oz. I love all the different burls from the Goldfield region. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭oraiste

You could get solid oak worktop cut to size. I've made a desk using a solid oak worktop and used Woodworkers (based in Terenure) who can supply and cut a worktop to the size required.

For example:
    http://www.woodworkers.ie/prices/p_worktops_solid_wood.shtml#Oak

30mm thick = €314.60 (3000mm x 1000mm)
    40mm thick = €400.55 (3000mm x 1000mm)

It's not cheap but gives a good quality finish.

The worktop would look something like this:

oak-08.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Hi Folks,

I have a table with a solid oak frame, the table top is glass, the glass basically just sits on top of the frame.

I'd like to replace the glass top with a solid oak table top, as close a match as possible to the frame.

The dimensions of the table are 94cm x 220cm.

Any ideas on where I could get a large enough piece of wood to do this and what the likely cost would be.

Thanks
    about 250 to 350 sprayed clear (prob best screwed onto frame as it will help stop top from cupping or moving too much) thats in 45mm oak

Really appreciate the feedback folks.

Advertisement