Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mac Donagh Station Shopping Centre

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

woohoo! thats great, thanks. i'll be heading there this weekend so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

TK Maxx is still open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

You mean you can find something to buy in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've gotten some decent clothes very cheap there before. It just takes a bit of digging :)

On another positive note, there's signs up saying that the bowling alley will be open in November \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Firetrap wrote: »
    You mean you can find something to buy in there?
    I was in there recently and while their homeware section is fairly good and well organised, their clothes section is a joke!
    Stephen wrote: »
    On another positive note, there's signs up saying that the bowling alley will be open in November \o/

2008 or 2009 ... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

bout time!!!!

Stephen wrote: »

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

According to the website:
    The Bowling Centre
    Following hugh volumes of enquiries, we are pleased to announce that the new Bowling Centre is expected to be open in early November. The most demanded leisure activity requested by the citizens of Kilkenny, the Bowling Centre will offer a fantastic leisure activity to all ages.

and
    St Canice's Kilkenny Credit Union
    One of Ireland's largest Credit Unions, St Canice's Kilkenny Credit Union is due to open during October in Goods Shed Square, MacDonagh Junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

wheres Good Sheds Sq??

and Eddie Rockets is open!

didnt have any money to go in there myself today but i had a nice walk around Mac Donagh at about 4:30 ish and Edide Rockets was fairly busy!
    Should be an excellent boost for the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

KatCookie wrote: »
    wheres Good Sheds Sq??

didnt have any money to go in there myself today but i had a nice walk around Mac Donagh at about 4:30 ish and Edide Rockets was fairly busy!
    i love everything about eddie rockets...except the price:(

• Advertisement

wheres Good Sheds Sq??

The Good Shed is right in front of the stair case. Its where Londis, The Peter Marks hairdressers are and Cafe Q when they get around to working on it. I think St. Canice Credit Union is supposed to open a branch in the Good Shed in Nov IIRC.

It might add some life to the place. What idiot decided to stick the ATM in the basement beside the jacks? Were they expecting the clientele in the shopping centre to be so well-heeled that they'd be flashing gold credit cards in Field's and...er...Barretts?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

I worked on the construction of the complex and was just wondering is there any memorial to those's buried in the foundation and im not talking about the recent there is a buriel ground to the famine Victims there which was dug..... if you entered from the station/dublin road entrance and headed diagonal right all the way to thew corner where the bridge is heading to the gaa ground you would be in the grave yard Just a thought why it might not be doing too good.

Nah, I think it's because they've got a dire mixture of shops in there. The anchor store is wrong (Dunnes) and then you've got expensive shops like that jewellers and Mexx alongside bargain basement shops like Barratt's and No Name. They should've put in Marks & Spencers as the anchor (I'd have preferred Tesco but they don't really go into shopping centres these days), added a decent shoe shop, a jewellers that doesn't sell watches that start at €200, a Boots type pharmacy, a couple more clothes shops, somewhere decent to have a bite to eat (NOT all that overpriced coffee/panini nonsense) and maybe a shop selling digital cameras/televisions.

Possibly too, they opened at the wrong time - just as the economy was starting to turn down.

Marks and Spencers werent that interested because Kilkenny has a small population, even though its classified as a city and all that..
    Tescos also werent too interested because they wouldnt own the property (which is why they build on the outskirts of towns)

and when you look at the layout of the place, you realise that theres many empty retial outlets (eg opposite zumos and to the left of Next) you dont really notice them becasue they have giant signs or maps on the wall where the entrance would be.. theres still MANY empty shops..

Marks & Spencer went into the new shopping centre in Athlone. Don't know how the population there compares to Kilkenny. They're also in Mullingar, though I've a feeling there's a big commuter population there. It's a pity nonetheless. One big Dunnes in Kilkenny is enough.

You're right about the empty shops. There's a coming sign for Tom Tailor that's been there since the shopping centre opened. It'll be there for quite a while yet I'll bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Apparently Dunnes have decided to postpone opening their new store in Ferrybank because they fear that in the current climate it would draw custom away from McDonagh. Anyone hear any more about that?

Well i dont think anyone would say to themselves, "lets go to the far side of kilkenny to do shopping" when they could just hope over the bridge to Waterford..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭JohnC.

fricatus wrote: »
    Apparently Dunnes have decided to postpone opening their new store in Ferrybank because they fear that in the current climate it would draw custom away from McDonagh. Anyone hear any more about that?

It's certainly delayed (was supposed to open last month and no sign of anything in the future) but I don't know the reason why, or if they will even bother at all now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well i dont think anyone would say to themselves, "lets go to the far side of kilkenny to do shopping" when they could just hope over the bridge to Waterford..

haha, have to agree, any problems I could see with a Dunnes in ferrybank is drawing business away from one in waterford

• Advertisement

Kahless wrote: »
    It's certainly delayed (was supposed to open last month and no sign of anything in the future) but I don't know the reason why,

Supposedly they are losing atleast €50,000 a week on the Junction shop. I doubt there will be any expansion to the Dunnes Empire any time soon.

I find it hard to have any sympathy for them. It doesn't surprise me though - any shop where they have to fill the fridges with boxes of Capri Sun and sell out of date food is clearly in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

One always has to be careful with regards to perishable food in Dunnes in McDonagh. I was over there 2 weeks ago and the bread was out of date that particular day. I think they must be sending some of the "due to go out of date" stock down to Kieran st for quick selling because I saw a huge amount of bagels, rolls etc in that store that were almost past their sell by date.

On a positive note...Eddie Rockets is finally open! I was over there last night and it was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Nightwish wrote: »
    One always has to be careful with regards to perishable food in Dunnes in McDonagh. I was over there 2 weeks ago and the bread was out of date that particular day. I think they must be sending some of the "due to go out of date" stock down to Kieran st for quick selling because I saw a huge amount of bagels, rolls etc in that store that were almost past their sell by date.

I went in there to buy, among other things, batteries. They had Duracell with "2002 FIFA World Cup - Korea/Japan" written on them.

Needless to say, I took my custom elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Marks and Spencers werent that interested because Kilkenny has a small population, even though its classified as a city
    't

Clonmel isn't that much bigger and Marks and Spencers are opening there soon

Not fair :mad:

Kilkenny being classified as a city wouldn't have anything to do with it really. I've a feeling that only people who are from Kilkenny make a big deal out of its city status. To everyone else, it's just a big county town like any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Namesco wrote: »
    't

Clonmel isn't that much bigger and Marks and Spencers are opening there soon

Where are they opening in Clonmel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

mick_irl wrote: »
    Where are they opening in Clonmel?

The Show Grounds, on your lefthand side when coming into the town on the waterford road.
    The first Marks & Spencer store to open in the southeast will be located in the new Showgrounds Shopping Centre in Clonmel. The 11,150sqm shopping centre is being developed by Greenband Investments, whose directors are Limerick-based Paul O'Brien and Mary Moran.

It's expected to create 250 jobs during construction, plus a further 100 new positions when the scheme is completed in May 2009.

The 2,100sqm M&S anchor store will offer a wide range of womenswear, menswear and childrenswear, as well as a food hall and an M&S cafe.

The deal was negotiated by Marks & Spencer agent Caren Leon, of CBRE, in London.

Jonathan Smith, M&S head of Ireland, said: "We're delighted to be anchoring the Showgrounds Shopping Centre with a brand new M&S store, bringing 100 new jobs to the area."

I wonder did they even consider Kilkenny, but then with the planning headaches they would of gotten I don't blame them. The South Tipp county council actively expressed interest to M&S about being the anchor tennant

Yes, they should've thought outside the box rather than going for safe old Dunnes who were presumably more than happy to block rivals from coming into Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

fricatus wrote: »
    Kahless wrote: »
    It's certainly delayed (was supposed to open last month and no sign of anything in the future) but I don't know the reason why, or if they will even bother at all now.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    haha, have to agree, any problems I could see with a Dunnes in ferrybank is drawing business away from one in waterford

The reason I heard that they've postponed opening is because not all the units are filled and they're not interested in going into it till they are all filled because they don't want people turning up there and thinking that it's not open similar to what happened in McDonagh Junction.

Advertisement