Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How would you construct a blanket box?

Options
  • 17-01-2011 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Can anybody tell me an easy way to construct a box with a lid i.e. a blanket box. I know it can be put together with dove tail joints but these boxes will be covered so pretty joints are not required. I could put it together with tack nails probably? I just don't want it to fall apart easily.

Any guidance would be appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

The most simple way would be to join the sides and bottom with lats of wood, four lats on the bottom, two each on two of the sides. Screw or nail the lats to the 4 sides of the bottom piece and two lats on the each of the two short sides, then stand each side up and screw into the bottom and side lats, then hinge a lid on top. Unsightly inside, if you countersink the screw holes and dowel them outside it would look ok. I tried to include a drawing from open office but it would let me save as a jpg or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

You can use the 'print screen' button to save a screenshot of the screen onto your clipboard.. (so it's available to 'paste')

Then open Microsoft Paint, and 'paste' (control and V). Then resize your image etc.. and save as a jpeg, not a .bmp.

(Press Alt and PrintScreen to take a screenshot of the current window, not the entire screen.

DVD movies cannot be screenshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

Hey thanks a million for your replies, I'll look at those videos this evening.

Hopefully i'll be able to put them together. One last qs, what would you pay for an 8*4 foot shhet of 9mm mdf? B and Q is about €22 euro for a sheet this size, is that about normal, what would the trade price be one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

22 sounds ok,although if I was building I'd use pine,which broks on the Naas road at bluebell sell in sheets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

kikililly wrote: »
    Hey thanks a million for your replies, I'll look at those videos this evening.

Hopefully i'll be able to put them together. One last qs, what would you pay for an 8*4 foot shhet of 9mm mdf? B and Q is about €22 euro for a sheet this size, is that about normal, what would the trade price be one?

You'll get a sheet of 9mm for around €10 in noyeks.... b+q very expensive ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Holy god thats a mental price for 9mm mdf. Buy it from noyeks as has been suggested. They can even deliver it out to u. I would use15mm or even 18mm mdf. Screw the main box together wit 3.5x50mm screws, fill the holes with filler, sand them level when dry and you can apply your finish then

Advertisement