Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SUSI grant question

• 29-08-2014 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm going to college this September and I am still awaiting my SUSI grant. I'm just wondering when should I expect to hear back from them?

Also I live at home with my guardian, her husband has found work this year, I've got a part time job also and I think the combined income of the household next year may exceed the SUSI grant income limits (household will earn about 60,000) does this mean I won't get a grant next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Its impossible to say. SUSI is slow.

On income again - we cant say for certain either as income limits could change. However based on current income it is likely you wouldnt get a grant next year.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

So how do I become my own dependant? It's unfair that my guardians income effects my college grant. I'm over 18 and she has her own family. I still live here but I'm not her son. When the guardianship expires does her income still come into account?

Thank you very much for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Its complicated.

You cant really become your own dependent until you are over 23. You can become independent from your parents if you can prove you are irreconcilably estranged from them.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

If your legal Guardian's husband is not your legal guardian, then their income is disregarded.

Advertisement