Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Double-Dip Waxing

• 19-08-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi everyone!

I've been having a Hollywood for about a year now, and I have tried several salons, sometimes travelling quite far, but I've yet to find somewhere that doesn't double-dip their spatula! I find it absolutely revolting, and I never ever go back once I see they do it. Its becoming a right pain now, to the extent where I put it off longer than I should, because I always come away with hideous pimple-like lumps all over the waxed area, I dread to thing what disgusting bacteria or fungus I've caught off someone from it! Anyone know of anywhere with a better hygiene record? South side of Dublin would be best, though I'm willing to travel for somewhere clean!!

(Also, if they don't use strips, all the better, I find strips to be far more painful!)

Thank you in advance!!

S_S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Abrean

Waxperts in Dun Laoghaire, they have a policy of no double dipping!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Seeking Self

I've heard of Waxperts a few times, their name comes up a lot. Must be a good sign! I can't understand why this isn't a wide spread policy! I'm sure I'm not alone in my disgust. I'll give these guys a go, their website is really cool.
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I always go to Simply Beauty in Sandyford, they never double dip. I got to Olivia there, she does a great job.

Brilliant, thank you! I'll go take a look.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

My friend gets those pimples after brazillian waxing - when they asked about it in the salon, they were told that a small number of people get that reaction to the wax. The salon in question uses hot wax (waxperts are probably the best brand), which is what should be used for any wax 'down there', and doesn't double dip the spatula.

On a somewhat related topic: is it normal for salons to double dip when waxing legs? Or is it preferable that they don't?

• Advertisement

convert wrote: »
    My friend gets those pimples after brazillian waxing - when they asked about it in the salon, they were told that a small number of people get that reaction to the wax. The salon in question uses hot wax (waxperts are probably the best brand), which is what should be used for any wax 'down there', and doesn't double dip the spatula.

On a somewhat related topic: is it normal for salons to double dip when waxing legs? Or is it preferable that they don't?

Now that's very interesting. I didn't know that. I'll have a chat with my therapist next time and see if there's anything I can do to prevent it.

I'm actually not a leg waxer. Would you believe I'm too afraid to get it done! I wouldn't have a problem with them double dipping on the legs, but they probably use the same wax pot for bikini area and legs, in which case, I would consider it as bad. I don't want anyone else's ass juice on my legs, thank you very much!!

I get those pimples after waxing too. I find exfoliating really helps, as sometimes you can be in danger of ingrown hairs if you get them. It's nothing to do with douple dipping.

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    I get those pimples after waxing too. I find exfoliating really helps, as sometimes you can be in danger of ingrown hairs if you get them. It's nothing to do with douple dipping.

The double dipping is still beyond gross though. I tried exfoliating them before but they were quite sore, they come up quite fast too, so I don't think I'd be able to catch it before they appear. Thanks for the tip though, I might try a cloth or something soft and see if that helps instead.

The double dipping is still beyond gross though. I tried exfoliating them before but they were quite sore, they come up quite fast too, so I don't think I'd be able to catch it before they appear. Thanks for the tip though, I might try a cloth or something soft and see if that helps instead.

Absolutely - double dipping is extremely unhygeinic. But that aside, you can still get the pimples :)

Mine come up fast and really hurt too - you probably are getting ingrown hairs? Have you tried to get at them with a tweezers to see if there are hairs in there (sorry for being so candid)

I wouldn't have a problem with them double dipping on the legs, but they probably use the same wax pot for bikini area and legs, in which case, I would consider it as bad. I don't want anyone else's ass juice on my legs, thank you very much!!

Salons shouldn't be using the same wax for legs and bikini area. The salon I go to uses green wax for the legs and a pink wax (in this case, Waxperts) for the bikini area. They're in different pots and are applied and taken off differently (from what I've been told, as I'm too chicken to get the bikini area waxed!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

Urbana has a policy of no double dipping - and it's on a poster in each of their rooms! I didn't even realise this was a thing until I saw their signs and I've been getting waxed for 15 years now. There's one in the city centre and another one in Drogheda. I go every six weeks so get a reduced price for a brazilian and they also do a loyalty points/discount scheme. There's a girl named Anne in there who is fantastic.

convert wrote: »
    Salons shouldn't be using the same wax for legs and bikini area. The salon I go to uses green wax for the legs and a pink wax (in this case, Waxperts) for the bikini area. They're in different pots and are applied and taken off differently (from what I've been told, as I'm too chicken to get the bikini area waxed!).

Yep, this is the case. There's green, pink and white wax. The white wax uses strips, whereas the green and pink are 'hot wax', which peels off directly. The pink wax is used for sensitive areas such as the bikini line and facial areas, and the green on less sensitive areas. Depending on your needs, the white/strip wax can also be used on face and legs.

At least that's how it is in my salon anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I was in Brazilia today and I'm almost 100% certain the girl was double dipping. She was changing the thingy, just not after every go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Are we talking about double dipping in a "communal" wax pot? I wouldn't be happy with that. I went to Wax in the City and they use an individual pot of wax for each client, they throw it out in front of you after. Can't really recall if there was double dipping though!

I think we're talking about a communal pot...

Twee. wrote: »
    Are we talking about double dipping in a "communal" wax pot? I wouldn't be happy with that. I went to Wax in the City and they use an individual pot of wax for each client, they throw it out in front of you after. Can't really recall if there was double dipping though!

Yeah like the big vat thing they heat the wax in. It's common practice to re-use the same spatula for you, and the same pot for every person, meaning there's a high chance for fluid transfer. Which is really disgusting. No one should be happy with it. We should demand better. Waxing costs a fortune, we should get what we pay for.

To be honest, as long as they are not reusing the spatula, it doesn't bother me if they use the same pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I did my training in Brazilia with the Lycon wax, and the trainer actually told me there was "no need" to change the spatula after each application, so you're probably right Pythia.

Advertisement