Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Have a look at the pattern unlock, untick show pattern, at least that's what i've done.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

wernstrom! wrote: »
    I got a (white) one X on eMobile a few weeks back. I've been happy enough with data coverage, although i've not really left Dublin since.

Could i ask where abouts in Dublin you would be? Thinking of getting the One X with emobile on Monday and am a bit concerned about the data coverage as I haven't heard the best. Will be mainly based around the south Dundrum/Stillorglin/Sandyford areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Balls.

Put in my new sim card, was asked if I wanted to change my settings for the new sim card, I naively picked 'yes' thinking it would only change around a couple of things, blasted thing has changed everything though, home screen et al. Tried putting in my old sim card but to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas of how to get my old homescreen/settings back? I could probably re-add all my apps and widgets to the homescreen and mess around with the settings but it'll take ages.....

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Balls.

Put in my new sim card, was asked if I wanted to change my settings for the new sim card, I naively picked 'yes' thinking it would only change around a couple of things, blasted thing has changed everything though, home screen et al. Tried putting in my old sim card but to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas of how to get my old homescreen/settings back? I could probably re-add all my apps and widgets to the homescreen and mess around with the settings but it'll take ages.....

Did the same myself! :(

Never found a solution...just had to redo everything again! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Does the one x take a regular sim or just a micro sim? Im on three and dont want to travel to the three shop for a sim, its an hour away.

Whats site are people using to get there cases and screen protectors from any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Takes a micro sim. And to be honest I had a regular sized sim before this, and the guy in the store just clipped off the card piece leaving the chip part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Saadyst wrote: »
    Takes a micro sim. And to be honest I had a regular sized sim before this, and the guy in the store just clipped off the card piece leaving the chip part.
    Cheers think ill just clip it what case you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

I've got the same case as the one PAMG pointed out here before if I could find the post... looks fairly decent and adds a fair bit of grip to it (which is my main concern as the white one x is quite slippy for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

dahamsta wrote: »
    Anyone using Exchange having trouble with Calendar sync?

Yes, think it occurred after 1.29 update but cant be certain. I've confirmed there's been no changes on the Exchange side of things so it must be something on the phone. Have you been able to get anything resolved yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Bought GTA 3 for €0.97 just to see what it was like on the phone.

It runs great. Also got Swiftkey x because I liked the trail. Any nice messaging app other than the one on the phone. I've been using Chomp which is basically the iphone messaging app.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm using Zimbra and haven't found a stock solution yet, using CalDAV Sync Beta while I wait. Annoying though, Google really do treat Exchange clients as second class citizens, which is silly given the numbers. I respond better to carrot than stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I'm contemplating moving from an iPhone 4s to this phone, has anyone else done the same?

I have an acer a500 tab already and previously had a HTC desire and Galazy S2. Not too keen on the S3 looks and no doubt will be another cheap feeling product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I'm contemplating moving from an iPhone 4s to this phone, has anyone else done the same?

I have an acer a500 tab already and previously had a HTC desire and Galazy S2. Not too keen on the S3 looks and no doubt will be another cheap feeling product.

I moved from an iPhone 4 to a HTC one S a few weeks back, battery was abysmal, viber & skype didn't work (phone was too new apparently).

Brought it back after 2 weeks of trying really hard to like it, but the constant HTC sense crashing, poor battery (if you don't kill the GPS battery is dead in 30 minutes), even trying to charge the phone in the car with a 10 watt charger I kept getting warning that the battery was draining faster than it could be charged, when listening to music and using the GPS together.

Brought it back and got an iPhone 4s instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Victor_M wrote: »
    I moved from an iPhone 4 to a HTC one S a few weeks back, battery was abysmal, viber & skype didn't work (phone was too new apparently).

Brought it back after 2 weeks of trying really hard to like it, but the constant HTC sense crashing, poor battery (if you don't kill the GPS battery is dead in 30 minutes), even trying to charge the phone in the car with a 10 watt charger I kept getting warning that the battery was draining faster than it could be charged, when listening to music and using the GPS together.

In all fairness it could have been the actual handset. Did you ask for a replacement first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

These posts are really annoying. Sometimes there's a dud in every batch of phones, iPhones included.

It doesn't mean the OS, the components or the actual phone part of the handset is rubbish.

I moved from the 4s to the HTC One X and I'm really glad I did.

What's better?

-It's faster.

-The camera software is better.

-The phone is more customizable.

-Widgets are so handy (for me). 4 taps to turn on bluetooth in the iPhone
    menu (when using BT in the car). You can have the BT widget on your home screen - tap once to turn on.

-Same with WIFI widget.

-When you download an app in Android, it's automatically added to your menu options; so let's say you download a photo editing app, when you want to edit a photo after taking one, it will be present in the menu options along with everything else you could possibly want to do with a photo.

-Picture messaging, on an iPhone you can to go into photos and send it, whether it be via mail or message. I've lost count of the number of times I was in an email and had to exit because you can't attach a picture from there. You can do all that in Android.

- I personally find Sense UI an attractive looking skin.

Leave the fashion victims to their devices*, you're wasting your time. If they want to overpay for their walled garden handsets because of a logo, that's their lookout.

* If you'll pardon the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

dahamsta wrote: »
    Leave the fashion victims to their devices*, you're wasting your time. If they want to overpay for their walled garden handsets because of a logo, that's their lookout.

I think that's a bit unfair to be honest. While I agree wholeheartedly with all the points raised by Bad Panda, the biggest downfall with this phone is the battery (which is mainly due to the amazing screen) and its terrible in comparison to a work mates iphone. Albeit i dont know how much they use it but i get just over 1 day from my htc with average usage and they get 2 or 3

Just found this on youtube regards a battery test although i dont know if its pre or post 1.29 update http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSV5i20jLZo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭loopymum

Where has everyone put their imei sticker service sticker?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

loopymum wrote: »
    Where has everyone put their imei sticker service sticker?

Still in the box!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I think that's a bit unfair to be honest. While I agree wholeheartedly with all the points raised by Bad Panda, the biggest downfall with this phone is the battery (which is mainly due to the amazing screen) and its terrible in comparison to a work mates iphone. Albeit i dont know how much they use it but i get just over 1 day from my htc with average usage and they get 2 or 3

Just found this on youtube regards a battery test although i dont know if its pre or post 1.29 update http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSV5i20jLZo

I agree, the battery isn't great for obvious reasons.

I used to be really hung up on battery life which is one of the reasons I got a 4s before, however, it's really not that big a deal. It's easy to be able to charge your phone 'in case'.

Bring the USB cable into work and charge before you leave (if you need to and are heading out straight after).

Also, a few of my friends would usually have a mini USB handy if I was at their place and battery would be low.

Another thing, it's much easier to have widgets at hand to simply turn off mobile data, auto sync, dim the brightness etc if your battery is critically low.

Mine's currently at 91% after 6.5hrs with a few texts, some browsing, checking/updating calendar events. Which isn't bad.

• Advertisement

The recommendation for modern batteries is to charge as you go, to avoid depleting them entirely. If anything, imho, this makes charging them every night a good idea. Mine lasts far longer than that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Well I am in the opposite boat to you, I have a 4s 64GB and it's the worst phone I have ever used. It's not a patch on my old 4s either - its buggy, laggy and the finish isn't as good. It's had a loose back cover from new!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Well I am in the opposite boat to you, I have a 4s 64GB and it's the worst phone I have ever used. It's not a patch on my old 4s either - its buggy, laggy and the finish isn't as good. It's had a loose back cover from new!

You could have got a dud phone, did you try getting a replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Anyone got a recommendation for a screen protector for the One X? Have noticed a few micro scratches starting to appear along side one or two more noticeable ones, more than I was expecting, want to nip it in the bud before it gets too much worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Must just be a dud or you, not the phone.

Ive had the iphone 4, 4s, htc one s and htc one x.

To say the One S is worse then an Iphone 4 is ridiculous, the Iphone 4 is using technology from 2 years ago. One S is way faster, i also found the battery life on par with the iphone and the design of the One S is really good, probably the nicest phone ive ever had design wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

manu2009 wrote: »
    Must just be a dud or you, not the phone. - Sorry didn't mean to touch a nerve, just giving my experience from a first hand perspective as a previous owner, didn't realise I wasn't allowed say anything negative about the phone, must be me so;).

Ive had the iphone 4, 4s, htc one s and htc one x.

To say the One S is worse then an Iphone 4 is ridiculous, - Where did I say that?

the Iphone 4 is using technology from 2 years ago. One S is way faster,- Way faster than the iPhone 4 yes, approximately the same speed, as the iPhone 4s that I replaced it with

i also found the battery life on par with the iphone and the design of the One S is really good, probably the nicest phone ive ever had design wise. - I agree with you on the design of the phone, it looks nice alright, battery in my opinion/experience was worse that the iPhone

Is it normal for apps like Viber and Skype not to work on new android phones until an update specifically for a new phone is release?

Both Skype and Viber support said that the apps hadn't been configured/tweaked for the HTC One S yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Anyone got a recommendation for a screen protector for the One X? Have noticed a few micro scratches starting to appear along side one or two more noticeable ones, more than I was expecting, want to nip it in the bud before it gets too much worse!

I bought these & they are spot on!!:)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/370605466416?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Have always used:
    http://www.bestskinsever.com
    I think they're excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Sorry didn't mean to touch a nerve, just giving my experience from a first hand perspective as a previous owner, didn't realise I wasn't allowed say anything negative about the phone, must be me sowink.gif.

Just hate when people make posts saying a phone is awful bad when its not.

Where did I say that? You said the "battery was abysmal" and apps weren't working, i just assumed you meant this in comparison to your iphone 4.

Way faster than the iPhone 4 yes, approximately the same speed, as the iPhone 4s that I replaced it with

Yes once dual core was introduced most phones are fast enough that you wouldn't notice the speed difference, the One S's processer is faster and newer then the 4s's though.

I agree with you on the design of the phone, it looks nice alright, battery in my opinion/experience was worse that the iPhone

Hate how iphone users always talk up the battery life, its not that much better and for me the one s was on par with the iphones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

Is it normal for apps like Viber and Skype not to work on new android phones until an update specifically for a new phone is release?

Both Skype and Viber support said that the apps hadn't been configured/tweaked for the HTC One S yet.

I've had the HTC One S since mid April and both skype and viber worked straight away for me.

Advertisement