Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GK selection

Options
  • 08-08-2014 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭

Right.

Everything's in the thread's title. How do you choose your goalkeepers?

A bit of personal background

Over the 4 years I've played the game I tried different options:
    1. An expensive keeper from a top team (ekfatt) (e.g. Cech, Szczesny) that I was playing every weeks coupled with a £4.0m keeper who was not guaranteed a game ;
    2. Partial rotation between an "ekfatt" and a cheapie who was guaranteed a game e.g. Mignolet / Boruc at the beginning of last year ;
    3. Rotating 2 cheap keepers from 2 teams which rotate the best possible and offer CS potential e.g. Marshall / Mannone & Mannone / Adrián last year.
    I can't say I've ever been really satisfied. When using a big gun I've been left with disappointing late goals while his team was flying ahead and while using the rotation I've been burnt by my own method (basically my away keeper was doing better than my home one). I've also been pretty badly inspired when dilemma happened (is it better away to a bad team or home to a top one ?).

Last year I kept track of my GK choices over the whole season.
    1. I started with Mignolet / Boruc for the first 13 GWs.
    2. Then I swapped Boruc for Marshall until GW20 included.
    3. From that point I decided to rotate 2 cheapies:
      1. to save cash for the strikeforce,
      2. because the big guns were not doing that much better.
    So went for the popular Marshall / Mannone combo for 5 GWs &
    finally got Adrián for the disappointing Marshall from GW26 'till the end.
    It's hard to know if I'd done better or worse with different solutions since my whole team would have been different. But the facts are the facts. I got 156 pts out of my playing keeper and my benched keeper got 139 pts. I only started to make consistently better decisions from GW26. Overall I made the right choice 45% of the time for 40% of bad decisions (the remaining 15% seeing both my keepers score the same amount of pts). Clearly it's not a good enough ratio. I had a great season, finished just shy of the top 1.5k and I know that a simple 5-10% shift of better decisions would have landed me in the top 1k.

This season choice.

So how do you guys do?

I made a poll based by coupling the options listed in this great article (=> http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/2014/07/17/fantasy-premier-league-player-list-analysis-goalkeepers-2/) with the best rotations listed in this other great article (=> http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/2014/06/24/premier-league-201415-home-and-away-rotation/).

One of the questions I'm wondering about is: DeGea + Myhill (£9.5m) to take advantage of United starting fixtures or Krul + Mannone (£9.0m) for rotation sake (though with Pantillimon's arrival Mannone may not be a clear number 1...) ?

edit

OK, just added the poll. I realise it's quite "thick". Ah well I tried to summarise the pros and cons of each combo from the 2 articles aforementioned. You'll probably find other combinations (New/Swa ; New/WBA ; Sun/Sto etc...) but I have to go now so couldn't complete the 25 maximum possibilities of the poll.

What is your GK combination? 100 votes

Lloris + Speroni (£11.0m) - good opening fixtures ; great rotation ; expensive
    0% 0 votes
    Courtois/Cech + Adrián (£11.0m) - good opening fixtures ; good rotation ; expensive
    2% 2 votes
    Courtois/Cech + Krul (£10.5m) - great opening fixtures ; good rotation ; expensive
    0% 0 votes
    Szczesny + Adrián (£10.5m) - OK fixtures ; good rotation ; expensive
    2% 2 votes
    Howard + Adrián (£10.5m) - bad opening fixtures ; OK rotation ; expensive
    0% 0 votes
    Howard + Boruc (£10.5m) - good opening fixtures ; good rotation ; expensive
    1% 1 vote
    Hart + Mannone/Foster (£10.5m) or Myhill (£10.0m) - poor op. fixtures ; good rot. ; starting GK ?
    1% 1 vote
    Szczesny + Green/Guzan (£10.0m) - OK opening fixtures ; OK rotation ; pb GW4
    2% 2 votes
    DeGea + Guzan/Krul (£10.0m) - great opening fixtures ; good rotation
    1% 1 vote
    Begovic + Fabianski (£10.0m) - great opening fixtures ; great rotation
    25% 25 votes
    McGregor + Fabianski (£10.0m) - good opening fixtures ; great rotation ; maybe expensive FWIW
    7% 7 votes
    Adrián + Speroni (£10.0m) - Good opening fixtures ; great rotation ; maybe expensive FWIW
    0% 0 votes
    DeGea + Foster (£10.0m) / Myhill (£9.5m) - great opening fixtures ; bad rotation ; starting GK ?
    0% 0 votes
    Lloris + Foster (£10.0m) / Myhill (£9.5m) - OK opening fixtures ; OK rotation ; starting GK ?
    23% 23 votes
    Boruc + Schmeichel (£9.5m) - OK opening fixtures ; great rotation ; promotted team
    1% 1 vote
    McGregor + Heaton (£9.5m) - OK opening fixtures ; great rotation ; promotted team
    0% 0 votes
    Krul + Mannone or Pantillimon (£9.0m) - good fixtures ; great rotation ; cheap ; starting GK ?
    0% 0 votes
    McGregor + Foster (£9.5m) or Myhill (£9.0m) - good opening fixtures ; good rotation ; cheap
    35% 35 votes
    Guzan + Foster (£9.0m) or Myhill (£8.5m) - good opening fixtures ; great rotation ; cheap
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gatame

Going with Begovic/Krul for the first 8 weeks. Will compare this with DDG/4m.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

iroced wrote: »
    ekfatt

Huh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Huh?!

Abbreviation for an 'expensive keeper from a top team'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Huh?!

haha :D sorry probably wasn't clear enough. Just my own personal shortening for "expensive keeper from a top team" .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Usually rotate cheapies but going DDG and Myhill to start.

I know I will end up wild carding early and when I do I will upgrade Myhill to someone who plays. I never feel comfortable having non-playing squad members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

I'm going for Krul plus 4.0m mostly because I'm not convinced of any of the other 4.5m keepers and Newcastle have a nice run. This could come back to haunt me, but I think the 0.5m can be used more efficiently on my defence than on a rotating keeper.

Voted Krul and Mannone (but may end up going Krul + Foster, who also rotate well). Have never tried rotating keepers really so going to give it a go this year. I think the key will be to pick the most logical choice (based on home/away, quality of opponents, form, etc) and once you do that you can't beat yourself up if the keeper you didn't choose does better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

The options I'm considering:

1. De Gea + Gilks (9.5)
    2. De Gea + Krul (10)
    3. Speroni + Green (9.5)
    4. Krul + Sunderland (9.0)
    5. Krul + Eliot (8.5)
    6. Green + Murphy (8.5)
    7. Begovic + Fabianski (10)

My whole backline and keepers are up for grabs but I'm considering rotations between Stoke/Swansea and Crystal Palace/QPR especially. I wouldn't put much faith in Sunderland/Newcastle rotation early on due to fixtures and defensive capabilities but is cheap and holds guaranteed starters.

I think QPR will be rather solid at the back and I believe 9 of their first 11 fixtures are in London and coupled with a Palace defender will be a great option early on but I don't actually know what way I'll work it yet and will depend on who's looking like likely starters.

The options I'm considering:

1. De Gea + Gilks (9.5)
    2. De Gea + Krul (10)
    3. Speroni + Green (9.5)
    4. Krul + Sunderland (9.0)
    5. Krul + Eliot (8.5)
    6. Green + Murphy (8.5)
    7. Begovic + Fabianski (10)

My whole backline and keepers are up for grabs but I'm considering rotations between Stoke/Swansea and Crystal Palace/QPR especially. I wouldn't put much faith in Sunderland/Newcastle rotation early on due to fixtures and defensive capabilities but is cheap and holds guaranteed starters.

I think QPR will be rather solid at the back and I believe 9 of their first 11 fixtures are in London and coupled with a Palace defender will be a great option early on but I don't actually know what way I'll work it yet and will depend on who's looking like likely starters.

7 options and 7 days left until the deadline! You need to eliminate one option everyday!

7 options and 7 days left until the deadline! You need to eliminate one option everyday!

:pac:

Sounds like the premise to a very terrible film. "FSA: Rotate Hard"

Nah I guess I'm really between 2 that being De Gea and a 4.0 or Speroni and Green but I'm open to other ideas

• Advertisement

:pac:

Sounds like the premise to a very terrible film. "FSA: Rotate Hard"

Nah I guess I'm really between 2 that being De Gea and a 4.0 or Speroni and Green but I'm open to other ideas

8. Krul + Foster.

Am I helping?!

8. Krul + Foster.

Am I helping?!

I'm wary about Newcastle defensively and I wouldn't trust WBA defensively at all, until they prove otherwise. So yes if I'm eliminating other options :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,321 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Gatame wrote: »
    Going with Begovic/Krul for the first 8 weeks. Will compare this with DDG/4m.

Me too, not in the poll

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

8-10 wrote: »
    Me too, not in the poll

Same here. De Gea and a 4 mill is the only other option I'm looking at, none of which are in the poll!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

The way I'm approaching it I'll be playing 3 defenders plus the keeper and of that 4 I want Man U and Chelsea cover plus rotating cheapies for the other two spots.

For that reason I'm most likely going for Courtois/4m plus Evans in defense. Mainly as Chelseas 6m defenders are liable to rotation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

FHFC wrote: »
    The way I'm approaching it I'll be playing 3 defenders plus the keeper and of that 4 I want Man U and Chelsea cover plus rotating cheapies for the other two spots.

For that reason I'm most likely going for Courtois/4m plus Evans in defense. Mainly as Chelseas 6m defenders are liable to rotation.

I'm on this combo at the moment also because it seems a little safer than De Gea and a 6m Chelsea defender though I'm a little concerned about Cech.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

irish son wrote: »
    I'm on this combo at the moment also because it seems a little safer than De Gea and a 6m Chelsea defender though I'm a little concerned about Cech.

I think the Crch/Courtois situation will be clear by the big kick off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

FHFC wrote: »
    I think the Crch/Courtois situation will be clear by the big kick off.

Hopefully, I don't see why they'd call Courtois back to bench him but I'll still be nervous waiting for their team announcement next Monday night :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭G1032

I've currently got Begovic and Krul. Haven't looked at my team in about a week and I don't usually like rotating keepers so these selections are subject to change

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'm going for Krul plus 4.0m mostly because I'm not convinced of any of the other 4.5m keepers and Newcastle have a nice run. This could come back to haunt me, but I think the 0.5m can be used more efficiently on my defence than on a rotating keeper.

That's what I'm doing for the first 8 fixtures. Did the same last year with boruc and Davis 8.5 combo till Dec .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Has there been any clue as to who will be starting for Sunderland?

Originally planned on having both Mannone and Pantilimon ut now I'm thinking Krul + Mannone would allow for rotations and be the same price.

Forster looks like he's going to Southampton for £10m. Would expect him to come into the game at 5.0m I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,822 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Forster looks like he's going to Southampton for £10m. Would expect him to come into the game at 5.0m I guess?

Yeah I'd say that's a good shout

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Speroni and Green for the first few weeks. DDG and a cheapie is my other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Bego and gilks for me. Switch bego to speroni when fixtures turn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Why is De Gea + £4m cheapie not in the poll! Seems to be by far the main choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IanOBo

Anyone cautious of picking De Gea given the new tactics?

roryc wrote: »
    Why is De Gea + £4m cheapie not in the poll! Seems to be by far the main choice?

Yep that and Begovic/Krul are among the most popular but not in the poll. There's some included that I'd say nobody has

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭G1032

Yep that and Begovic/Krul are among the most popular but not in the poll. There's some included that I'd say nobody has

Ya. Who in their right mind is going to have an 11m combo in goal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Most of the combinations above are pretty odd choices, and the poll is missing the two most obvious ones!

Advertisement