Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wind farm for the Midlands

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Old diesel wrote: »
    BTW when I say improvements - it wouldn't be massive improvements im expecting either particularly in the shorter term - but the way I look at it - is that even small improvements in performance make a big difference if you add them up across a fleet of turbines around the country.

4 to 5 percent would be a start - but I realise it takes time
    Solar was delivering 7% a year price reductions for most of the last 35 years, now it delivering even more .

Wind turbines prices drop by about 14% each time global installed capacity doubles. Expect similar drops from tidal turbines / wavepower when they go mainstream.

In theory you can't get more than than 33.7% from a single solar panel.

In practice the record is 44.7% because you can use several layers that are are more efficient for different colours. But that's expensive and you need to use mirrors to collect lots of light.

Most cheapo panels today are around 10% efficient but sunlight is free and 20.4% has been done - ie. you only need half the surface area.

IBM claim to have gotten 80% efficiency out of solar panels, but that's including using the heat

In theory if you used mirrors to heat a special collector to 1,000C then you can fine tune the solar panels to the thermal radiation emitted and in theory you could get up to 80% efficiency.

Advertisement