Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

one of these days I'll play a character that can use a zweihander... the game just feels wrong to me unless im using a high dex build

roll roll stab stab roll

Rolling is dead handy alright, I tend to stick to lighter armour and keep the weight down, put on black iron armour to tank up and take on Ornstein and Smough just to see if it made any difference, rolling was akin to throwing a sack of spuds down a stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

one of these days I'll play a character that can use a zweihander... the game just feels wrong to me unless im using a high dex build

roll roll stab stab roll
    DO IT... i used the Uchi and a dex build on my 1st PT and loved it... 2nd time round I decided to go for STR and used the Zwei. It's slow as fvck to swing and was tough to stick with coming from the Uchi but man I learned to love it...it's a beast...lightning +5 baby!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

So I've gone with a Cleric for my 3rd character. Up to the 1st Bell in 2 hrs...using Astora's Sword but getting invaded alot and minced and had a real struggle with the Bell Gargoyles (not a problem on the 1st or 2nd PT)

Thoughts so far...
    The Cleric is tough to start with
    No useful Miracles to speak of yet
    Going to go with a faith/Dex build
    Think I'll get an Uchi and level it up and drop Astora's sword till the Catacombs later

When do I get good offensive miracles and what are the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

GK1001 wrote: »
    So I've gone with a Cleric for my 3rd character. Up to the 1st Bell in 2 hrs...using Astora's Sword but getting invaded alot and minced and had a real struggle with the Bell Gargoyles (not a problem on the 1st or 2nd PT)

Thoughts so far...
    The Cleric is tough to start with
    No useful Miracles to speak of yet
    Going to go with a faith/Dex build
    Think I'll get an Uchi and level it up and drop Astora's sword till the Catacombs later

When do I get good offensive miracles and what are the best?

Join the sunlight warriors covenant to get your lightning spear miracles. Then follow rhea's story to get wrath of the gods or seigmeyers for emit force. With my cleric I used a divine claymore(beast) until I got the sunlight blade miracle to use on my zweihander.

Lightning spears and a good divine weapon will serve you well for most if not all the game.

(Just seen you said faith/dex so maybe an uchi or washing pole)

I'm still in the Way of White covenant, have been since the beginning. Although I've killed most of the other NPC's aside from the onion armour guy I actually like that dude.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    I'm still in the Way of White covenant, have been since the beginning. Although I've killed most of the other NPC's aside from the onion armour guy I actually like that dude.

Did you kill Solaire? :(

Mickeroo wrote: »

If he did, can we get him banned??

Jesus no, he's proved himself over and over, me and him are gonna kick O&S's asses later. killed Lautrec though. And that smug fecker sitting at the bonfire at the beginning, and the monk guy up the steps. The pyromancer guy and big hat Logan are still there though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you eh... kinda screwed yourself out of a quest or two there

you eh... kinda screwed yourself out of a quest or two there

That's for 2nd playthrough krudler to worry about :pac: Is it weird I'm nowhere near finished this game but am already looking forward to doing it all again (except Blighttown, cos fcuk that place).

• Advertisement

That's for 2nd playthrough krudler to worry about :pac: Is it weird I'm nowhere near finished this game but am already looking forward to doing it all again (except Blighttown, cos fcuk that place).

My first playthrough I went in blind like I did with demons souls. That character now sits at the first Blightown bonfire underpowered, crestfallen...alone. Destined to become just another hollow among the hollows.

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    My first playthrough I went in blind like I did with demons souls. That character now sits at the first Blightown bonfire underpowered, crestfallen...alone. Destined to become just another hollow among the hollows.

Go back down there as a sorcerer and make the place your bitch.

Go back down there as a sorcerer and make the place your bitch.

Don't worry, I've had 6 playthroughs since but still feel sorry for that first guy.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah, blight town is a paradise compared to some of the areas you have to go through yet, one in particular. :pac:

Yeah, blight town is a paradise compared to some of the areas you have to go through yet, one in particular. :pac:

Awww don't tell me that :( I love Anor Londo, it's all nice and clean and big it makes a change from sewers and small laneways. Reminds me a bit of God of War.

Yusss, beat Ornstein & Smough. Brought up my faith so I can use Astora's sword, going to tackle the Catacombs next and can't be doing with those skeletons regenerating.

Met the big serpent thing in Firelink and went to the shrine down below, dead handy being able to warp between a few bonfires now. is it just those certain ones or do more open up? I have firelink, undead parish, anor londo, the depths, and the chamber when Gwynevere was available to warp to, yay for less backtracking.

If I have a Raw sword and there's an option to turn it back into say a Zweihander +5, does that mean I can then change it into a fire or lightning sword?

Yusss, beat Ornstein & Smough. Brought up my faith so I can use Astora's sword, going to tackle the Catacombs next and can't be doing with those skeletons regenerating.

Met the big serpent thing in Firelink and went to the shrine down below, dead handy being able to warp between a few bonfires now. is it just those certain ones or do more open up? I have firelink, undead parish, anor londo, the depths, and the chamber when Gwynevere was available to warp to, yay for less backtracking.

If I have a Raw sword and there's an option to turn it back into say a Zweihander +5, does that mean I can then change it into a fire or lightning sword?

There'll be a few more you can warp to but you have to get to them first. You'll be wanting a divine weapon for the catacombs (farm knights in anor londo for one of their spears if you don't have one).

If you bring Zweihander back to a normal one you should be able to change it to lightning/fire or whatever you like. I was always told on here Raw weapons are crap anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Conza41

I'm sorry for not replying in almost a week. I've not really been near Dark Souls until last night.

Anyway, I finally tackled Blighttown and I've beat it. What a massive pain in the behind that was. I still had the elite knight armour, dragon crest shield and the Drake sword. Been getting used to backstabbing them big orc-like things with the massive wooden club, fairly easy to take down. Them tiny red lizard things destroyed me first time I encountered them. I took my time going down Blighttown, trying to take on one at a time. When I finally reached the bottom, it was worse. The spider-like things were okay, easy enough to kill. The flies bugged me though, because they were hard to hit. Oh, and the swamp...The way it poisoned me loads of times. I was grateful for those purple moss' I took off the demonic foilage in the Darkroot Garden.

Anyway, I fought my way to a nice bonfire, went out and was invaded by a dark spirit. Killed her with no problem and went back to the bonfire, discovering that I was human after killing the dark spirit, I seen a summoning sign and had my first taste of co-op with another player. Needless to say, he was a hell of a lot better than me. We went straight for the boss. Beat Chaos Witch Quelaag the first time, thanks to my co-op partner. Rang the bell and went further into Demon's Ruins. Which after defeating the ceaseless discharge, quickly left after spotting about 10 Taurus' demons and a Capra demon. Not having that! :pac:

Went back to the Undead Parish bonfire and had my first taste of Sen's Fortress. I'm finding it worse than Blighttown. My Drake Sword is doing little damage to the serpent things, and the enemy that shoots lighting at you while you're dodging traps keeps getting me killed.

Still trying to find better gear, I feel the Drake Sword isn't doing too well. I bought a fire orb from Laruentius and I'm finding it helpful, although there's only 6 uses. If anyone's got any pointers regarding Sen's Fortress, or better gear, it'd be much appreciated. Oh, and I've also got Dark Souls for the Xbox 360 if anyone is interested in doing some co-op! :)

Thanks.

There'll be a few more you can warp to but you have to get to them first. You'll be wanting a divine weapon for the catacombs (farm knights in anor londo for one of their spears if you don't have one).

If you bring Zweihander back to a normal one you should be able to change it to lightning/fire or whatever you like. I was always told on here Raw weapons are crap anyway!

There's two knights outside the hall that O&S were in and they're pretty handy for farming souls, 3000 a pop each. Haven't gotten one to drop a spear yet even with that ring that ups your discovery, it's mostly shields they drop.
    I had Astora's sword the whole time but hadn't enough Faith for it so bumped it up to level 14 and can use it now, takes 4-5 hits to take down a skeleton but they stay down so that's not so bad, have enough titanite to bump it up a few levels too.

Feck it sure, I'll undo the raw Zweihander and make it a lightning one instead, might do the same with the uchigatana and make it a fire weapon, may as well as have plenty of unused titanite to do it.

There's two knights outside the hall that O&S were in and they're pretty handy for farming souls, 3000 a pop each. Haven't gotten one to drop a spear yet even with that ring that ups your discovery, it's mostly shields they drop.
    I had Astora's sword the whole time but hadn't enough Faith for it so bumped it up to level 14 and can use it now, takes 4-5 hits to take down a skeleton but they stay down so that's not so bad, have enough titanite to bump it up a few levels too.

Feck it sure, I'll undo the raw Zweihander and make it a lightning one instead, might do the same with the uchigatana and make it a fire weapon, may as well as have plenty of unused titanite to do it.

When you say knights do you mean the giant guys or the normal size ones? It's the normal size ones that drop the silver knight spear. Took me ages to get one though, don't think it dropped until NG+ after I had given up on it.

Don't underestimate standard upgrading either, my Iaito 15+ destroyed most enemies pretty easily. There'll be a few areas where you can farm titanite different further down the road, you can also buy twinkiling titanite for magical weapons from the giant blacksmith in anor londo (if you found him?).

Worth having a look at the wiki for "snuggly the crow" too if you need certain types of titanite ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Conza41 wrote: »
    I'm sorry for not replying in almost a week.
    Still trying to find better gear, I feel the Drake Sword isn't doing too well. I bought a fire orb from Laruentius and I'm finding it helpful, although there's only 6 uses. If anyone's got any pointers regarding Sen's Fortress, or better gear, it'd be much appreciated. Oh, and I've also got Dark Souls for the Xbox 360 if anyone is interested in doing some co-op! :)

Thanks.

Superdigzi if you want to add me. At undead parish on second play through. Have done very little co op so I think there will be a bit of trial and error from the start. Also playing a bit of gta so xbox time is probably split 50/50 at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Conza41 wrote: »
    Went back to the Undead Parish bonfire and had my first taste of Sen's Fortress. I'm finding it worse than Blighttown. My Drake Sword is doing little damage to the serpent things, and the enemy that shoots lighting at you while you're dodging traps keeps getting me killed.

Thanks.

Did you find the Iaito in Blighttown? It's a far better weapon than the drake sword if you level up your dex.

For Sens, a lot of enemies can be killed using the traps, the two at the entrance for example you can lure down to the doorway then step on the pressure pad and it should kill at least one of them. Get a shield with good lightning defence as well, can't remember off the top of my head which one I used. It's a short area but only has one bonfire so can be a bit frustrating

Right, so I got a lightning Zweihander now. went down to the lordvessel place, got told I have to find souls of other characters (bosses?) and am working my way through the catacombs, have a divine club so that's dead handy for it.

I'd imagine this was most people's reaction to beating Pinwheel

WoodyWhat1.gif

"was..was that it?"

I'd imagine this was most people's reaction to beating Pinwheel

WoodyWhat1.gif

"was..was that it?"

good luck with the next section, it's by far the most horrible part of the game. It's made a lot easier with a certain item you can get from the demon ruins though. Having said that, still worth getting to the first bonfire as it's not far in and you can warp to it.

I'd imagine this was most people's reaction to Pinwheel.

"was..was that it?"

I've always believed that people go the catacombs later than the devs intended resulting in a pushover boss fight. I think it was intended for players who were in the lowish levels and still being a little cautious about rushing enemies. Given too much time, Pinwheel can do big damage and even one shot lower level players but he just ends up being rushed and beaten to a pulp by most.

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    I've always believed that people go the catacombs later than the devs intended resulting in a pushover boss fight. I think it was intended for players who were in the lowish levels and still being a little cautious about rushing enemies. Given too much time, Pinwheel can do big damage and even one shot lower level players but he just ends up being rushed and beaten to a pulp by most.

I just legged up to him and clattered him three times, was more of a chore getting to him than beating him, those bloody wheel skeletons :mad:

I did venture down there way back at the beginning and was swiftly murdered, having a divine weapon makes all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Finally have the chance to get back into Dark Souls after having to put it down for months.

The most annoying thing is I now have no idea where I am in the game or what I was doing!! I think I had just reached the Dukes Archives..but I have no idea what to do after that!

Either way really looking forward to it

good luck with the next section, it's by far the most horrible part of the game. It's made a lot easier with a certain item you can get from the demon ruins though. Having said that, still worth getting to the first bonfire as it's not far in and you can warp to it.

The tomb of giants? I have the light spell from whatsherface in Darkroot so getting around isnt too bad, those huge skeletons are a pain in the arse though.

• Advertisement

This thread is like crack. I got the platinum trophy recently but now I just have to play again. Never done a cosplay build so think I'll try good ol Solaire and get some jolly co-operation going.

Advertisement