Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nightowl

Thank God for boards.ie! :)

I been having murder with my modem the last few months and have had call out after call out.I'm gonna get on to them tomorrow and ask for a new Scientific Atlanta modem

Why don't you try to above method Dublinproud? It's easy enough to setup however the next firmware upgrade is going to push me towards a Scientific Atlanta modem.

I hate ring UPC tech support they keep stating that they are not aware of any firmware updates! I work in IT and if I rolled out a bunch of updates that messed with everybodies equipment I'd be sacked on the spot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pokertony28

hi i hav 30mb broadband all i can get is 1,2mb asec download speed when all along i was get in 3.8mb a sec its like this weeks now and upc said all is grand when its clearly now how do i get full speed back checked o many pcs all is same crap speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Tirtytree wrote: »
    HA! I have exact the same symptoms. The online light would not come up and if it does the internet isnt there. And with, say, 5 attempts it never did. I'm curious what exactly is the problem? As I understand a modem exchange won't solve the issue - in general?

Thanks.

No idea the engineer that came out spent ages trying to get original modem back on net, he got the online light on just no webpages, he rang control and they just said to swap the modem out he did and it worked

Last night must have been a glitch as its working fine this morning

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

bricks wrote: »
    Either on purpose or by accident its been killed. I've tried everything it just won't pick up a WAN ip when its in bridge mode.
    Probably not much chance of anyone from UPC confirming if this is a permanent change or if its just a mistake.

they havent disabled it, i have my new modem in bridge mode working fine

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

nightowl wrote: »
    Why don't you try to above method Dublinproud? It's easy enough to setup however the next firmware upgrade is going to push me towards a Scientific Atlanta modem.

I hate ring UPC tech support they keep stating that they are not aware of any firmware updates! I work in IT and if I rolled out a bunch of updates that messed with everybodies equipment I'd be sacked on the spot!

Looks like i might have to try that. I just called technical support and i'm still getting fobbed off, giving me the "its a noise problem in the Dublin 5 area". Very reluctant to give out new modems :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

I've just had UPC installed this week, and the speed should be 25MB, but this is what I'm getting. Wiill have to make a phone call tomorrow..... :(

1412894223.png

A second test brings up this:

1412900347.png

Using the UPC speedtest brings up 10.42MB download and 2.46MB upload but I don't know how to share the result here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

cardol wrote: »
    I've just had UPC installed this week, and the speed should be 25MB, but this is what I'm getting. Wiill have to make a phone call tomorrow..... :(

1412894223.png

A second test brings up this:

1412900347.png

Using the UPC speedtest brings up 10.42MB download and 2.46MB upload but I don't know how to share the result here.
    Wired or wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Looks like i might have to try that. I just called technical support and i'm still getting fobbed off, giving me the "its a noise problem in the Dublin 5 area". Very reluctant to give out new modems :mad:

I fought with the tech support and cancelations department over this. They are very very reluctant to provide a different modem. In the end I cancelled my subscription for broadband with them, 2 weeks after being connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

I think everyone is in the same boat here.. The cisco modem is a piece if ****!!
    I had mine in bridge mode and the same thing happened to me.
    I'm trying to get it working in DMZ mode and if my speed are down i'll be having murder with tech support..

But there is no one else that can offer speeds even close to upc.. AARRGGHHH!!

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Wired or wireless?

Wireless! I wanted the 12MB package but with a wireless modem, and was told the modem with that package was not wireless, so I agreed to buy the 25MB package with the wireless modem.

Speed today:

1413715247.png

Just going to make a phonecall now! It's 14:37

Update at 18:20 - Person at UPC was very thorough and went through a lot of options with me. After about 30 minutes, as I had to go, she said she would get one of the engineers to call me later today and arrange to come out and have a look at my modem....she was extremely helpful.

• Advertisement

No -one called back so I rang them at 20:45 and was told someomne would call me the next day.
    No-one called me the next day, and I rang them at 20:00 and was told the issue had been escalated to the Limerick office as they apparently had better resourses to deal with it. I was told someone will defo call me tomorrow and go through various options over the phone. I explained that had already been done 2 days ago without success. Significant pause. Then I was told someone would call me tomorrow.
    I pointed out I was a customer for less than a week and so far was not overly impressed, and might feel a need to cancel my contract. Was reassured someone should probably call tomorrow. Hmmm
    OK, let's wait and see.........:confused:

Speed now:
    1416245537.png
    Just noticed, the time is one hour behind us!

Forgot to say, I had to have my landline number ported to UPC and got a letter from them on 27th July. It had a Porting Form attached. When the engineer came out on Friday to install the cables for my BB, he ported the number using software on his phone. He said there was no need to fill in the form and I could bin it. So I did.
    I mentioned tonight that my phone still hadn't ported over (I would get a text to say it had) and was told to fill in the form I'd received. I explained what the engineer had done and was told such a thing wasn't possible, and to go online and fill in the form there. I have now done that.

Never ending fun...............

• Registered Users Posts: 20 guff daddy

I had to have my landline number ported to UPC and got a letter from them on 27th July. It had a Porting Form attached. When the engineer came out on Friday to install the cables for my BB, he ported the number using software on his phone. He said there was no need to fill in the form and I could bin it. So I did.
    I mentioned tonight that my phone still hadn't ported over (I would get a text to say it had) and was told to fill in the form I'd received. I explained what the engineer had done and was told such a thing wasn't possible, and to go online and fill in the form there. I have now done that.

Never ending fun...............

Exact same thing happened to me - engineer said he would port the number, it didn't happen, when I rang UPC (a week later) they said I would need to fill in the form. The phone finally transferred a couple of weeks later.

Apparently the porting form is what closes down your account with your previous supplier, so now I'll be billed for 3 extra weeks. Thanks UPC!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

Anyone have any experience connecting an Apple Airport express into their UPC wireless network?

Have just yesterday switched from Vodafone to UPC, in search of faster BB with some cash savings.

I had an Apple Airport express connected through my Vodafone BB so was very happily playing music wirelessly on a Bose from iTunes on laptop on the other side of the room.

My UPC BB setup yesterday was not without problems. My Sony Vaio running XP couldn't get a wireless connection. Rang tech support and basically he talked me through removing the default wireless connection and setting up a new one with a different password. He said XP objects to the default p/w :confused:

Anyway, got a wireless connection. Then tried to reset up the Airport express on my new UPC connection. Set the aiport back to factory settings. Laptop picked it up. Went through a few steps until finally I selected 'add airport to my current wireless network'. Then got an error saying no wireless connection was found. It not only couldn't find the airport, but my UPC wireless connection was down also. Each time I tried this, I had to remove the current wireless connection and allow the laptop to find it again and reinstate it by reinserting the password.

Am wondering if it's to do with security settings. UPC tech appeared to pretty much disable mosty of my security settings yesterday when sorting out my connection problem.

Would post more detail on exact settings and errors if I was at home trying it right now, but am in work. Was just hoping someone else had managed to successfully connect an airport.

Thanks,

guff daddy wrote: »
    Exact same thing happened to me - engineer said he would port the number, it didn't happen, when I rang UPC (a week later) they said I would need to fill in the form. The phone finally transferred a couple of weeks later.

Apparently the porting form is what closes down your account with your previous supplier, so now I'll be billed for 3 extra weeks. Thanks UPC!

Great! I can look forward to being billed by my previous supplier too!

Incidently, my first UPC bill arrived today. It's dated 28 July, which is two days before the engineer came to set up the cables and modem.
    UPC Packs = €4.57
    Telephony = €7.47
    Non Direct Debit Charge:mad: = €2.99

I still have not had my phone ported over, I wasn't even using UPC BB when the bill was sent. And up until two days ago (last Tuesday) whenever I rang UPC and was told to input my account number, there was no account under that number. So even if I'd tried to set up Direct Debit, I wouldn't have been able to. It was something I'd planned to do in the first week or so over the phone with them, so!!! Word of warning to anyone else switching to UPC. Get your Direct Debit sorted before you even get your BB and phone!:mad:

Finally, UPC Tech Support will not guarantee any kind of speed on a wireless modem as there can be too much other interference. I am stuck with the speeds I now have unless I get a new computer with Win7. I currently have WinXP, which "may" be a barrier to getting any decent speeds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Finally, UPC Tech Support will not guarantee any kind of speed on a wireless modem as there can be too much other interference. I am stuck with the speeds I now have unless I get a new computer with Win7. I currently have WinXP, which "may" be a barrier to getting any decent speeds!

The OS is irrelevant, XP does not make your Wifi network slower. No ISP will guarantee speeds over Wifi, as it is not something that is within ther control. Expecting them to offer such a guarantee is expecting the impossible. Check the speed with a wired connection, this is the ONLY way to do it. If that speed test is poor, then you have an issue you can take to UPC support. If it's not slower than expected, then there's nothing for UPC to do.

If wireless interference/range/quality is the issue, then there are some things you can do to improve it. Change the channel, move the modem so it's closer, move any DECT cordless phones away from the modem/computer. There are factors that can effect Wifi that nothing can be done about too. External interference, from somewhere out of your control. Thickness/materials of walls, ceilings, etc. Range from the modem to the computer if they have to be where they are.

If you need the speed, then you should not be connecting via wifi.

jor el wrote: »
    The OS is irrelevant, XP does not make your Wifi network slower. No ISP will guarantee speeds over Wifi, as it is not something that is within ther control. Expecting them to offer such a guarantee is expecting the impossible. Check the speed with a wired connection, this is the ONLY way to do it. If that speed test is poor, then you have an issue you can take to UPC support. If it's not slower than expected, then there's nothing for UPC to do.

If wireless interference/range/quality is the issue, then there are some things you can do to improve it. Change the channel, move the modem so it's closer, move any DECT cordless phones away from the modem/computer. There are factors that can effect Wifi that nothing can be done about too. External interference, from somewhere out of your control. Thickness/materials of walls, ceilings, etc. Range from the modem to the computer if they have to be where they are.

If you need the speed, then you should not be connecting via wifi.

Thanks for the advice jor el.:) I am currently searching through my friends for someone with a laptop who can come round and we can do a wired sppedtest. With modem and computer having to be where they are (until I can afford to rewire!) the distance is approx 10ft, with a wall inbetween. Signal strength is generally "good" to "very good", so that's not an issue.

Incidently, since I was unable to get a wireless modem on their 12MB package, it seems to me that the wireless modem on their 25MB package should deliver. Otherwise, I would have gone for the 12MB package and got someone in to install extra phonelines.....:confused:

Also, do you (or anyone else reading this) have any thoughts on the charges, especially the telephony and non direct debit charges? I'm about to phone them today, but don't honestly know if they are entitled to add them.

Signal strength is generally "good" to "very good", so that's not an issue.

don't be so sure about that. I've found that signal strength (as indicated by the OS software) is never a good indication of what speed you'll get, or even of the actual signal strength.
    Incidently, since I was unable to get a wireless modem on their 12MB package, it seems to me that the wireless modem on their 25MB package should deliver. Otherwise, I would have gone for the 12MB package and got someone in to install extra phonelines.....:confused:

The speed they give you is only ever for a wired connection. Wireless is an extra feature, so there is no onus on them to be able to provide 25Mbps over the wireless network. You'd have been better off with the non-wireless modem, and adding a router of your own.

You could also give Homeplugs a try, and forget the wireless all together. Homeplugs can be problematic though, so they're not an ideal solution. They're also kind of expensive.
    Also, do you (or anyone else reading this) have any thoughts on the charges, especially the telephony and non direct debit charges? I'm about to phone them today, but don't honestly know if they are entitled to add them.

The non-DD charge is standard, and yes they can (and do) apply it. They should have been able to take the DD details at the time you ordered. Your account number should be on the bill you received.

If you're supposed to be getting a bundle price for broadband and phone, then you'll need to ring them about that. They often get this completely wrong on the first bill (often could even be always). They will still be listed separately on your bill though.

They also started charging me from the day I ordered, and not the day it was installed/activated which was 4 days later, so get them to credit back your two days too.

jor el wrote: »
    don't be so sure about that. I've found that signal strength (as indicated by the OS software) is never a good indication of what speed you'll get, or even of the actual signal strength.

When I was with VF, signal strength was so low, pages wouldn't load or timed out. It's the main reason I left VF (well, that and the fact they cut me off without taking the DD from my bank account:rolleyes:).
    The speed they give you is only ever for a wired connection. Wireless is an extra feature, so there is no onus on them to be able to provide 25Mbps over the wireless network. You'd have been better off with the non-wireless modem, and adding a router of your own.
    My thoughts since yesteday!
    You could also give Homeplugs a try, and forget the wireless all together. Homeplugs can be problematic though, so they're not an ideal solution. They're also kind of expensive.
    Not sure I need these, as the engineer did instal a UPC socket in my study, but then said the phone had to be in here too, as it would have to be connected to the modem once the number ported over. But if my phone is in here, I won't hear it when I have doors shut. I suppose I will have to bring the modem in here and trail a phoneline out to the hallway. I just don't do it at the moment because of expense.
    They also started charging me from the day I ordered, and not the day it was installed/activated which was 4 days later, so get them to credit back your two days too.
    Will ask them to credit me for the four days I wasn't activated. :)

Speed today on a 25MB wireless modem:

1418719620.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ogormank

Hi guys,
    I am looking for some help on wirelessly connecting two EPC2425 routers (and yes I know one of these is bad enough). So firstly does anyone know if this is possible?

I basically have my main one connected connected by cable to a NAS, and when I want to stream movies in the bedroom the signal strength is not good. So I want to put the second ECP2425 in the spare room and use it as a repeater to try boost the signal in the the bedroom.

I have looked on line an can see lots of people talking about using an EPC2425 but with a different make of router.
    I also see a lot about bridging router, but from what I know about bridging this is not what I want.

Any help greatly appreciate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

In relation to the UPC cisco modem not working in bridged mode, I have found a workaround.
    Seems that you can use the 192.168.100.1 IP of the router when it has just booted up

If you navigate to
    Setup

|
    |

Advanced Settings
    ---- > IP Address Pass-through

You can enter the MAC address of your own router.

I thought this was not working as my own router (dd-wrt) had a 192.168.1.x IP. However after 5 minutes the WAN IP was assigned to the router.

May work in the long run. We'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Not sure I need these, as the engineer did instal a UPC socket in my study, but then said the phone had to be in here too, as it would have to be connected to the modem once the number ported over. But if my phone is in here, I won't hear it when I have doors shut. I suppose I will have to bring the modem in here and trail a phoneline out to the hallway. I just don't do it at the moment because of expense.

Once your eircom line is disconnected you can just connect a phone line from your modem to any phone wall socket. This will distribute a phone signal to all the sockets in your house allowing you to plug the phone in anywhere you want. Another option would to pick up another cheap dect phone and register it to your UPC base. If you do ever go the homeplugs route these were the cheapest I could find - work grand for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 nicbel76

Hi guys,

how do you change the original wireless password given by UPC and written on the back of the Cisco EPC2425?

Is it the WPA Pre-Shared Key that needs to be changed or else?

my apologises if that was asked before but can't find the right post.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 nicbel76

nicbel76 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

how do you change the original wireless password given by UPC and written on the back of the Cisco EPC2425?

Is it the WPA Pre-Shared Key that needs to be changed or else?

my apologises if that was asked before but can't find the right post.

i've changed the WPA pre shared key and it looks like a caused trouble as now i can't connect anymore and not even access the http://192.168.1.1

id be very grateful if anyone could help me, any advice on what to do?

My friend brought his laptop around yesterday evening and we hooked it up directly to the modem and ran Speedtest.net. It came up as just over 16MB. So I rang UPC again and spoke to Chris who ran through a few things in the modem page and then when I ran another speedtest on my PC, using Magnet speedtest, it came up as just over 8KB. Very low. He also asked for the make of my wireless card, and he then looked it up and said I should be getting speeds up to 18MB or 19MB using wireless. And he said it doesn’t matter what OS I use…. They have now agreed to send out an engineer on Tuesday afternoon who will have his own laptop and can see what’s wrong. :)

Speed today:

1421658249.png

ogormank wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I am looking for some help on wirelessly connecting two EPC2425 routers (and yes I know one of these is bad enough). So firstly does anyone know if this is possible?

No, you can't do that with the 2425. You need a different router, one that can be configured as a wireless repeater.

Well, the UPC engineer came around on Monday (not Tuesday!) and ran speedtests on his laptop with the WiFi both activated and deactivated on my PC. With WifI deactivated on my PC he was getting speeds up to 21MB on his laptop, but with WiFi activated on my PC, he got speed up to 10MB. So he said I would need a new Wireless card as the one I have is only capable of receiving up to a certain limit and is draining the signal(?) preventing his laptop from getting decent speeds.
    I'm not very technical so that might not be exactly what he said, but it's the general gist.
    I have now ordered a new Wireless card.......

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabriele

Hi All,

Since yesterday I costantly having intermittent connection. I have tried to call upc 6 times, and all of the times they were not able to provide any useful information:

First was a problem in the area, then it wasn't, then was a problem with the modem, than it was a problem that need to be escalated, the next time was a problem of my OS in my pc (I have 3 pc conncted one with xp, one with vista and one with 7 ultimate....)... And after every call I was promised an immediate call back... which obviously didn't happen.....

So around 6 I did the last call to the call center..... I am usually a very calm person... even my wife got scaried because i was screaming.... I know, it is not the fault of the guys that takes the calls, they cannot do anything from there and I am well aware of it since I am in technical support too, but COME ON!!!! some clear information, some damn troubleshooting or clear lifeline!!! they cannot just fill us with useless bla bla bla so we drop the call, it is not fair, it is not a support!!!!
    So I finally spoke with the manager, the only one that had some technical knowledge to know what a DSLAM is....,and a technician will arrive to chec my line.... Wednesday evening from 1 to 6 (I will need to take a day off!!!!!!!!!!)

Apart for all this long boring story, Does someone else have the same issue (intemittent connection, no poor technical support)? Maybe the ones located in clonsilla or nearby??

Thanks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Giraffe Giraffe

Gabriele wrote: »
    Hi All,

Since yesterday I costantly having intermittent connection. I have tried to call upc 6 times, and all of the times they were not able to provide any useful information:

First was a problem in the area, then it wasn't, then was a problem with the modem, than it was a problem that need to be escalated, the next time was a problem of my OS in my pc (I have 3 pc conncted one with xp, one with vista and one with 7 ultimate....)... And after every call I was promised an immediate call back... which obviously didn't happen.....

So around 6 I did the last call to the call center..... I am usually a very calm person... even my wife got scaried because i was screaming.... I know, it is not the fault of the guys that takes the calls, they cannot do anything from there and I am well aware of it since I am in technical support too, but COME ON!!!! some clear information, some damn troubleshooting or clear lifeline!!! they cannot just fill us with useless bla bla bla so we drop the call, it is not fair, it is not a support!!!!
    So I finally spoke with the manager, the only one that had some technical knowledge to know what a DSLAM is....,and a technician will arrive to chec my line.... Wednesday evening from 1 to 6 (I will need to take a day off!!!!!!!!!!)

Apart for all this long boring story, Does someone else have the same issue (intemittent connection, no poor technical support)? Maybe the ones located in clonsilla or nearby??

Thanks!!!

I'm having the same issue - Completely different area though in d6w. I know of others having it too and a couple of replies in this thread saying the same thing.

I too had them promise to call back and they didn't. Took about 20 minutes to get one of them to even acknowledge there was a problem because of their piece of **** speed test

I got an engineer out a couple of weeks ago and because it was fine when he was out, it was said to be fine.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056355866

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

... even my wife got scaried because i was screaming....

You awknowledge it's not the fault of the agents, yet you scream at them over the phone? I think sir, you need a life or a hobby. Screaming at someone over the phone is not going to help any matter, and it's certainly not going to entice that person to try help you any further.
    the only one that had some technical knowledge to know what a DSLAM is..

How relevant would it be for UPC's technical support to know anything about DSLAMs? They wouldn't be aware of what they are, as they are trained for supporting Cable products.

Advertisement