Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EB licence and caravans

Options
  • 20-07-2015 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Could someone explain this to me please. Do I need an EB licence to tow a caravan? I rang a couple of driving lesson places to get experience towing a trailer and got told I could not have the lessons without sitting theory test.

Is this a new thing or am I covered

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

cobweb wrote: »
    Could someone explain this to me please. Do I need an EB licence to tow a caravan? I rang a couple of driving lesson places to get experience towing a trailer and got told I could not have the lessons without sitting theory test.

Is this a new thing or am I covered

Is the caravan less than or equal to 750kg? If it is your ok, provided the combined weight of the drawing vehicle and the trailer do not exceed 3500kg.

With regard to the lessons, I would imagine their trailers are over 750kg as a requirement to sit the test so you would infact have to do the theory test and get a learners permit for an EB licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

THe caravan has an unladen weight of 750kg and max laden weight of 900kg while the car weighs about 1200kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

cobweb wrote: »
    THe caravan has an unladen weight of 750kg and max laden weight of 900kg while the car weighs about 1200kg

If you have an ordinary Category B licence, you may:
    Tow an O2 trailer, provided that the total design gross vehicle weight of the combination does not exceed a total of 3.5 tonnes..

For O2 category it must have brakes.

Weight of the car doesn't matter it's the DGVW which you will find on the VIN plate. The car will also have the gross train weight on the vin plate whic h you shouldnt exceed.

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

This crops up regularly. I looks like a lot of people do not get their head around the official speak on the issue.
    Here it is in plain English.

With an ordinary B licence you can:

1. Tow a trailer up to 750kg gross weight behind a vehicle with a gross weight of up to 3,500kg (equalling a maximum train weight of 4,250 kg)

2. Tow a trailer greater than 750kg gross weight behind a vehicle with a gross weight of up to 3,500kg
    Provided the total gross weight of the two (train weight) does not exceed 3,500kg and the trailer is not heavier than the towing vehicle.

The weights to be used when making the calculation are those recorded on manufacturer VIN plate of the trailer and towing vehicle.

• Advertisement

Thanks niloc, for that.

Advertisement