Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gas bottles

• 12-04-2011 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Any place do the half gas bottles around the lusk area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

have a look at this old thread their might be some where that suit
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055654591

• Registered Users Posts: 19 grafter12

I'm a noob to the campervan scene and have recently bought a secondhand van that was brought in from Germany a few years back. There are two gas bottles in it and I am struggling to identify them and get refilled as all the writing on them is in German, below are two pic of them.

gas1.jpg
    gas2.jpg

If anyone knows what type they are and if there is anywhere in or near Dublin that I could get them refilled I appreciate the assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

If I'm not mistaken my old Hymer was the same, it's a reverse thread so any Calor propane bottle should work. I used to keep one of each bottle so one for use in France and one for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

grafter12 wrote: »
    I'm a noob to the campervan scene and have recently bought a secondhand van that was brought in from Germany a few years back. There are two gas bottles in it and I am struggling to identify them and get refilled as all the writing on them is in German, below are two pic of them.

gas1.jpg
    gas2.jpg

If anyone knows what type they are and if there is anywhere in or near Dublin that I could get them refilled I appreciate the assistance.

Standard German bottles. I am lucky to have a Flogas depot near me and they have no issue filling them for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 grafter12

Thanks guys,

650, could you tell me which flogas depot you get yours filled in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Ending up getting mine in a shop opposite the glenside hotel for 19.40

grafter12 wrote: »
    Thanks guys,

650, could you tell me which flogas depot you get yours filled in?

Hi Grafter - sorry forgot to mention am down South. However at our depot the lads appear to have a range of connectors to fit an assortment of bottles.

T650 wrote: »
    Standard German bottles. I am lucky to have a Flogas depot near me and they have no issue filling them for me.

By the way Grafter, I use a small Irish gas bottle for our bbq so I carry that and the German bottle for the motorhome when we travel. I bought one of these adaptors in case I was ever stuck away from home and needed to use the Irish bottle for the motorhome.

Jumbo Adapter

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭line6

i'm in cork and would love to know anywhere local that could fill this type of bottle with propane for me

otherwise i would like to know if i can get the standard butane bottles filled with propane

cheers, tom

line6 wrote: »
    i'm in cork and would love to know anywhere local that could fill this type of bottle with propane for me

otherwise i would like to know if i can get the standard butane bottles filled with propane

cheers, tom

Hiya line6,

I get my German bottles filled at the gas depot at the Quartertown Industrial Estate in Mallow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

cheers, tom
    There is gas fill depot on Forge Hill just off the Togher exit of the N25.
    (Propane only in propane bottles)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭line6

thanks aujopimur and T650, nice to know those places are there - anyone know if there's a place that fills the butane bottles with propane?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

thanks aujopimur and T650, nice to know those places are there - anyone know if there's a place that fills the butane bottles with propane?

Do you mean "ordinary" butane bottles, filled with propane (ie with the click-on "Jumbo" connectors?) Many of the larger shops do them - e.g the CoOp Superstores (formerly 4Home) -- and the little shop on the Tramore Road in Waterford (opposite the Land Registry) have both full and half size ones with propane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

cheers, tom

The Calor depot in Whitegate can fill any type of bottle as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hi everyone, searching the forum for some info, so going to raise this thread from the grave............
    I have an auto-roller Ducato, German import, and it comes with two 11kg German propane bottles. Can any one advise me where I can get these refilled? Somewhere north of Athlone, and east of the Shannon preferably!

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Is there much in the price difference to have a bottle filled oposed to buying a replacement?

and is it just propane?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

I thought the German fittings were the same as our propane ones. Are you just trying to avoid paying the cylinder "deposit" on our ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

JonMac wrote: »
    I thought the German fittings were the same as our propane ones. Are you just trying to avoid paying the cylinder "deposit" on our ones?

Well Jon, If they are the same left-hand thread, then I can easily use an Irish type cylinder. I ask, not because I am trying to "avoid" anything, but because I hoped someone who had been in the same situation could advise. On a thread here somewhere, I read a post which stated that Irish bottles were squatter or fatter than German ones, and thus two will not fit in the space provided.

I had a VW T25 once which had the same German fittings, and whilst in France ran out of gas. So had to buy a French bottle and regulator, and cut the original one off and fit the new one. That was with a half size bottle, and if I had two full ones for this machine, should never run out abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

If it helps, our 1999 German camper was imported into Ireland in 2003. There is plenty of room for our propane and butane cylinders. The Spanish ones fit fine too. I've got the Gaslow Jumbo Spanish pigtails which fit our "vertical" fittings, and they unscrew to allow the "right angle" connections to be used as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jimbobwalton

Heading to france soon and have two 3/4 full bottles ...is it possible to get them topped up or do i just have to excahnge them for full ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I have a German import too and two Irish butane bottles fit in the gas locker though just about. By the looks of it the German bottles must not be as tall?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Heading to france soon and have two 3/4 full bottles ...is it possible to get them topped up or do i just have to excahnge them for full ones?

Are you sure they are 3/4 full? If they are then two 3/4 full bottles will last for ages if you are only cooking, far longer than a holiday for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jimbobwalton

fairly sure...I am going for 2 months so I better have them full leaving

Vendors who top up cylinders usually want them empty first so they can compensate for the bottle weight on the scales.

[Edit]: ¾ full is full anyways...they only fill to 80% liquid

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Reviving this thread if I may, but I'd love to know of somewhere in the midlands (I'm North Tipp/Offaly border) where I can get a German bottle filled.
    I spent ages at a local gas place, but my gas cupboard is an odd shape, and narrow, and none of the Irish bottles fit in it, so I'd prefer to get the German bottle filled.
    There were rumours of a skinny Calor bottle coming to Ireland, but it doesn't look it has got here yet.:confused:

I guess a second German bottle would be handy too, if any one has one going spare, I will gladly swap for beer tokens. Always good to have a spare bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jawacz

I have 2 available and am in Clonee D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Thank you!
    If I'm ever in the area I may just drop you a PM. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

This thread reminded me that I will soon need more gas.
    Does anyone know of anywhere in Mayo or Galway for the small, 2.75kg cyls.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Reviving this thread if I may, but I'd love to know of somewhere in the midlands (I'm North Tipp/Offaly border) where I can get a German bottle filled.
    I spent ages at a local gas place, but my gas cupboard is an odd shape, and narrow, and none of the Irish bottles fit in it, so I'd prefer to get the German bottle filled.
    There were rumours of a skinny Calor bottle coming to Ireland, but it doesn't look it has got here yet.:confused:

I guess a second German bottle would be handy too, if any one has one going spare, I will gladly swap for beer tokens. Always good to have a spare bottle.
    If you ever are in a Cork I have a couple of German "PrussiGaz" - one is fairly full, too. Also the regulators for them (though maybe to the old 50 bar standard)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭digger58

Hello knowledgeable people,
    We are new too camper van ownership and just jumped in at the deep end, a 12 week tour of Europe, to Greece and back. Question about gas, Van came with 2 propane cylinders, connectors are I believe POL type, different to the ones used here. I got snookered in France and ended up buying a cylinder and regulator. Is there any universal system? How many types are there in Europe? What about an LPG tank and fitting for refueling? Where can I get cylinders filled near Limerick? Thanks in advance,
    Tony
    DSCF1534.JPG

DSCF1535.JPG

Advertisement