Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Any good apps I should be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

closeline wrote: »
    Any good apps I should be on?

I think there's a thread somewhere with hundreds of pages of must have apps......

I find from using wakelock detector that maps is being constantly accessed on my phone even though I never use any app that requires it. Take today and yesterday for example, Maps was accessed 285 times for 23s each time! I have hardly been even using the phone. I definitely find my battery takes a hit using gps.

Incidentally f you lose your phone and have an app like cerberus, you can remotely turn on GPS via text command.

How do you find out maps was used that much?

What is the best app to have, say if you do lose your phone, and to be able to get it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

What is the best app to have, say if you do lose your phone, and to be able to get it back?

I have Cerberus, although thankfully I've never had to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Cerebus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Supposedly yes, because I've never tested it. And apparently it records any numbers dialed etc by new sim and sends them to you.

Oh I like the sounds of that mate!!

Cheers,
    M

PS: Installing it now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

madmoe wrote: »

Cheers,
    M

Yes. You can also get the lost phone to send you a text message with the new GSM [phone number] of the new SIM, and location, and a video, and a photo, and an audio snap and and and.

However, nothing will guarantee you get your phone back. It's just an assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I find from using wakelock detector that maps is being constantly accessed on my phone even though I never use any app that requires it. Take today and yesterday for example, Maps was accessed 285 times for 23s each time! I have hardly been even using the phone. I definitely find my battery takes a hit using gps.

Incidentally f you lose your phone and have an app like cerberus, you can remotely turn on GPS via text command.

I have found that also – Maps is constantly waking the device to report location.
    I have found that it seems to be connected to Google Now and also what location settings you have allowed Google to access to locate the phone. I find after a reboot the Maps app is not going mad again but it seems hit and miss. One day it will eat up all the battery and the next it uses very little – a bug I suspect in either Google Now on JB or on my crappy Sony.

I'd say turning off just the Google Location Service should solve the issue. disable the "Automatically Report Location from this Device" option

I found that disabling the Background location reporting, Location sharing and Location history along with disabling all Google Now cards that might use location fixed it but still allowed the cards that use your Gmail and search history to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

madmoe wrote: »

Cheers,
    M

I have Comodo mobile security. It's 100% free
    What happens if you lose it/it's stolen- can't the person just uninstall the security app?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

dinneenp wrote: »
    can't the person just uninstall the security app?

If you have root access you can make the app a system app which makes it undeletable (by normal means anyway). You can also hide the app so it won't appear in the app drawer, you use a special code in the dialer to access it.

I'm talking Cerberus here, I don't know about the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Ste- wrote: »
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flyersoft.moonreader

This can do it but the quality isn't great.
    Silly like things like mixing up read and read. Can be difficult to get your head around.
    Or any other e-reader with Text To Speech.

i was using cool reader.but the voice reading it was very robot like so i downloaded ivona text to speech.you have a choice of english aussie or american ladies reading for you :D
    its working well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Just got Cerberus, great app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Reading alot about targeted advertising etc like here http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/londons-new-recycling-bins-will-be-watching-every-step-you-take and was wondering is there an app or anyway too use your phone without your data being shared freely?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Slunk wrote: »
    Reading alot about targeted advertising etc like here http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/londons-new-recycling-bins-will-be-watching-every-step-you-take and was wondering is there an app or anyway too use your phone without your data being shared freely?
    Disable your wifi and data connection. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Hope this doesn't come across as spammy, but I thought some of you might be interested in the app I've just released called Map Quiz. Basically it's how well you know the countries of the world on a map. It also has the counties of Ireland to guess from, which I haven't seen in any other apps. Any feedback at all would be great.

You can get it at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.syncostyle.shadowplay. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Anyone know of any sites/apps like pumps.ie seen as that doesn't work anymore ?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭seklly

I use the anti-theft feature of the Avast app (I uninstall the main Avast app after it's set up). This means the app is completely invisible and can only be called up by dialing a number on your phone.

To use full functionality you need root access and app is installed to the system partition meaning if a 'thief' factory resets the phone the app will stay in place.

It actually worked for me, my phone was stolen in Poland last year and it was factory reset, when I arrived back in Ireland I had the guys phone number, home address, access to his texts, call logs etc.

Your man freaked out and I ended up getting my phone posted back to me!

I must take a look at Cerberus as well, looks like it gets good reviews.

Granny Smith's Baby Monitor.

Audio / Video over bluetooth, so not long range. Grand if kid is upstairs and you are down watch a movie.
    If kid cry's, press a button to play music on their android device.
    Press another button for two way talk. GO TO SLEEP BABY RANGER!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

So what's the best free anti theft app?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

RangeR wrote: »
    Granny Smith's Baby Monitor.

Audio / Video over bluetooth, so not long range. Grand if kid is upstairs and you are down watch a movie.
    If kid cry's, press a button to play music on their android device.
    Press another button for two way talk. GO TO SLEEP BABY RANGER!!!!!

I can't think of anything pervy/malicious that might get used for.......

SamHall wrote: »
    I can't think of anything pervy/malicious that might get used for.......

No more or less than any webcam app or hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

syncosised wrote: »
    Hope this doesn't come across as spammy, but I thought some of you might be interested in the app I've just released called Map Quiz. Basically it's how well you know the countries of the world on a map. It also has the counties of Ireland to guess from, which I haven't seen in any other apps. Any feedback at all would be great.

You can get it at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.syncostyle.shadowplay. :)

Good app just downloaded it there now and played all the levels to the end (excluding US States because I know where none are).

A couple of comments (not criticism):

- I like the way it tells you how quick you got the answer... Might be an idea to show a stats screen at the end of the level showing how quick you answered each one.

- I couldn't seem to click back into a level once completed. No big deal as I would assume it's the same countries in each level but if I wanted to show someone else the app I couldn't show the levels I had completed? I could be wrong on this

Thanks for trying it out, lassykk. That's a neat idea about showing you all your times at the end of the pack, I will definitely look into doing that. What I would also like to do is compare your times to the average of everyone else's, but I'd need a decent amount of downloads before that's viable.

As for not being able to play a pack after completing it, that is something I keep meaning to add, so thanks for pointing it out. Right now, you can go to the Settings menu, and clear your data (which keeps your coins), but that will reset all the packs. I'll get on adding a replay button right away! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Thanks for trying it out, lassykk. That's a neat idea about showing you all your times at the end of the pack, I will definitely look into doing that. What I would also like to do is compare your times to the average of everyone else's, but I'd need a decent amount of downloads before that's viable.

As for not being able to play a pack after completing it, that is something I keep meaning to add, so thanks for pointing it out. Right now, you can go to the Settings menu, and clear your data (which keeps your coins), but that will reset all the packs. I'll get on adding a replay button right away! :)

Looks ok but I get a blank blue screen for map area for the irish counties level, I guess I should see a country outline with county marked ?

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Looks ok but I get a blank blue screen for map area for the irish counties level, I guess I should see a country outline with county marked ?
    You certainly should! I had complaints about things like that happening before, but I thought I had fixed them all. It seems to depend on the version of Android and the phone you have. What version are you running?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭jaykay74

You certainly should! I had complaints about things like that happening before, but I thought I had fixed them all. It seems to depend on the version of Android and the phone you have. What version are you running?

samsung galaxy S3 and android 4.1.2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Got the daughter to d/l , she is playing it now , thinks it's cool that it has Facts with it . Will give you a better report later on .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

No probs at all. I was going to suggest a comparison with others but thought that might be expecting a lot! The main reason the times are good is because I could go to google maps and find the answer but my time would be huge whereas if you just know it the answer is between 3 & 5 seconds.

Enjoyed playing it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭corkie

Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded Slides Back Into The Play Store After Post-Launch Issues - androidpolice.com

Playstore link.

First level is free and then it's a $10 in app purchase to unlock the rest.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement