Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New "Sky+ 160 "

Options
  • 06-08-2004 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

Sky are releasing a new 160 gb sky+ box in october at £399 in uk so probably €599 here. (rip off) U can however upgrade your current box for a new one which will then cost €399 i suppose :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

A lot cheaper just to upgrade the hard drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Skyuser wrote:
    Sky are releasing a new 160 gb sky+ box in october at £399 in uk so probably €599 here. (rip off) U can however upgrade your current box for a new one which will then cost €399 i suppose :rolleyes:

why are you speculating on price and using terms like "rip off" , surely better to make a judgement on the actual price when it is announced.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Tony, any information on the grapevine as to how this upgrade offer will materialise?

Will existing owners get a subsidisation on the cost of a new box or will there be a "callout" service to allow you to upgrade an existing 40GB drive in which case you could easily do it yourself??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Tony wrote:
    why are you speculating on price and using terms like "rip off" , surely better to make a judgement on the actual price when it is announced.
    Its called currency exchange Tony!!!! :cool:

Skyuser wrote:
    Its called currency exchange Tony!!!! :cool:

No I think its more like currency speculation. If you think its a rip off then do not buy it, if it does not sell then sky will drop the price as they have done on previous occasions.

• Advertisement

Talked to armstrongs the distributors today but they had no information unfortunately. My feeling is the DIY route will probably be cheaper though.

Tony, any information on the grapevine as to how this upgrade offer will materialise?

Will existing owners get a subsidisation on the cost of a new box or will there be a "callout" service to allow you to upgrade an existing 40GB drive in which case you could easily do it yourself??

Yes Tony I agree. I believe the contract is being ended/withdrawn from Pace and the new box will be manufactured by Thomson from October onwards, so the existing boxes will no longer be the standard.So as such an upgrade kit for existing boxes would seem pointless,as Sky will likely be promoting the new model's larger disk size along with its forward compatability(USB Ports)

Given that the bugs (17min etc) seem to have been resolved,a DIY seems the route to go,at least until perhaps the cost on the new boxes reduce.

I love the present Sky+ box,but had I realised they were intending to make an upgraded box available so soon (I imagined it was still another year away at least) I may well have held out for this V3 release.

Don't get me wrong,I would not be without Sky+ at this stage and I Know Sky keep these thing pretty close to their chests,but I am sure a lot of people who bought V2 boxes in the last few months would feel a bit cheated by Sky given that the next generation with this huge drive was just round the corner so to speak.

The only consolation may be that perhaps October is when the boxes go into production and as such may not be released for some time after this date??I rang Sky the other day but they had never heard of the new model, and gave the line to keep an eye on the Magazine for any future changes to products or special offers, but I suppose this is standard waffle in case sales of the current model are affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Oh quick Tony, there is somebody speculating that its gonna be made by Thomson. Whats the world coming to.

Skyuser wrote:
    Oh quick Tony, there is somebody speculating that its gonna be made by Thomson. Whats the world coming to.
    Further jibes like this will result in a banning

Consider that a warning.

Yes Tony I agree. I believe the contract is being ended/withdrawn from Pace and the new box will be manufactured by Thomson from October onwards, so the existing boxes will no longer be the standard.

On a slighly differnt tack panasonic are no longer producing digiboxes although luckily the pace seems much improved reliabilty wise. I suspect that the current sky+ may well become the "free" digibox and the standard digibox will disappear altogether, it must be said that this is speculation on my part as I've not had any official confirmation on this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, I'm saddened to hear Panasonic no longer are producing digiboxes :( They made some fantastic reliable boxes. Bah, it'll be back to Pace as soon as the supplier runs out of Pannies then :( I'm a tad worried if Thomson end up taking up the sole manufacture of Sky+ boxes.

Found this example (not final design) on the PVRUK Website:
    skyplus160.jpg

Advertisement