Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCAA 2014 Season Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

Oklahoma Sooners 10/1 look like the bet for me this year. They have a lot of returning starters from last year and if they start Trevor Knight and give him time to find his feet we know what he can do.

I am not that up to date on the BIG 12.....does anyone have any other views?. I usually stick to the SEC!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Apparently Philip Lutzenkirchen died in a car crash this weekend. He was the Auburn TE the year they won the national championship and was one of Cam Newton's favourite targets that year. Didn't hear much of him since then, but he really stood out that year, for both his play and his name I guess. Was surprised I hadn't heard of him since, but apparently a hip injury foiled his pro career. Such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Apparently Philip Lutzenkirchen died in a car crash this weekend. He was the Auburn TE the year they won the national championship and was one of Cam Newton's favourite targets that year. Didn't hear much of him since then, but he really stood out that year, for both his play and his name I guess. Was surprised I hadn't heard of him since, but apparently a hip injury foiled his pro career. Such a shame.

Jesus, that's terrible news. He reportedly didn't have his seatbelt on either. He was a guy that no one could say anything bad about, on or off the field.

http://theplainsman.com/view/full_story/24776049/article-Philip-Lutzenkirchen-transitions-from-football-to-finance-after-NFL-stint
    Auburn prides itself on being a family.

A few years ago, one member of the family found a way to capture the hearts of the Auburn faithful like few have managed to do.

His name is Phil, but he is also known as “Lutzie.”

Philip Lutzenkirchen was a tight end on the Auburn football team from 2009 until 2012.

In that span of time, he became the top scoring tight end in Auburn career history with 14 career touchdowns.

He broke the single-season touchdown record for touchdowns by a tight end in 2011.

Lutzenkirchen also caught three game-winning touchdowns during his Auburn career, including the famous fourth-quarter touchdown to complete the “Camback” in 2010’s Iron Bowl at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

At 6-foot-5, Lutzenkirchen could catch and run as well as he could block in Gus Malzahn’s Hurry Up, No Huddle offense.

“He’ll fit in well in any system,” Malzahn said at the 2013 Senior Bowl. “He’s very flexible. That’s his biggest asset. He can do a lot of different things well, and he’ll be very successful.”

After winning a national championship in 2010 and breaking records in 2011, Lutzenkirchen’s collegiate career ended in the 2012 Ole Miss game after trying to play the entire season with a hip injury.

“I heard if I had come out last year, I would have been taken in the third or fourth round,” Lutzenkirchen said before the 2013 NFL Draft. “But I’ve never regretted coming back to play my senior year and getting my degree. We didn’t finish the way we wanted to, but I still thought I’d be a fourth- or fifth-round pick in this year’s draft.

“It was a long and frustrating day for me that Saturday by not getting taken.”

Regardless of his absence on the field, fans still cheered on “Lutzie.”

After graduating from Auburn, Lutzenkirchen was signed as a free agent by the St. Louis Rams. The hip injury, however, lingered and affected Lutzenkirchen’s play.

Lutzenkirchen was released several months later, but said he has no regrets.

“I got released, and I could tell it was the right time to step away from it,” Lutzenkirchen said. “It was a tough decision, but not many people get that opportunity, and I’m just glad I got the shot.”

After being cut from the Rams, Lutzenkirchen delayed making any decisions about his future for a few more months.

“I gave it about a month or two to see if any teams would call,” Lutzenkirchen said. “After I had my hip surgery, it kind of went downhill from there, and I didn’t get back to my career here, athletically and physically.

“So, I decided to look elsewhere and hang up the cleats.”

Soon afterward, Lutzenkirchen met Brandt McDonald at Tim Hudson’s annual Iron Bowl Charity Golf Tournament.

Brandt is the Owner & President at McDonald & Barranco, Capital Wealth Management in Montgomery and graduated from Auburn in 1989 with a degree in finance.

It didn’t take long for the two to hit it off.

“We started having a conversation about life after football, and it just so happened that he was looking and trying to figure out what he was going to do,” McDonald said. “He’s got honesty and integrity, he’s an honorable person and he’s proven that to the Auburn people, so that was a hurdle that we didn’t even have to overcome because I knew that immediately.”

McDonald hired Lutzenkirchen shortly afterward as an assistant financial adviser. McDonald saw Lutzenkirchen’s knowledge of sports and connection with Auburn as a business advantage.

“We manage money for a lot of [professional] athletes and a lot of them have gone to Auburn and so it was like a hand in glove for Phil to join us,” McDonald said.

When asked if McDonald would do the famous “Lutzie” dance after Lutzenkirchen signs a big client, McDonald said there would be a good chance.

“If he brought on board a first-round draft pick, I’d do it,” McDonald said. “I might not look as good as him, but I’d do it.”

Read more: The Auburn Plainsman - Philip Lutzenkirchen transitions from football to finance after NFL stint

RIP. :(

DGB is a Sooner. Hell of a coup for Stoops even though it's likely he won't play this year. Hard to imagine this would have happened if Oklahoma weren't confident he won't jump ship for the draft in a year.

First Mayfield, now DGB - early bet on Oklahoma to win it all in 2015/16.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

• Advertisement

Have you lads seen the 30 for 30 called Youngstown Boys? I've included a link to watch the full show. Here's the description:
    The stories of two Ohio State football figures connected with Youngstown, Ohio—running back Maurice Clarett, a native, and coach Jim Tressel, former head coach at Youngstown State University—exploring their football exploits at Ohio State, including a national championship in 2002, and their scandalous exits from the school.

They show a nice bit of football from the 2002/2003 National Championship Game, what a game that was and play by Clarett to strip Sean Taylor.

Do any of you remember watching Clarett at the time and/or the fallout in summer 2003?

It does seem a massive shame how it all fell apart. Adults (e.g. Andy Geiger) living off the success of what are, at the end of the day, mostly kids and then suddenly doing whatever they can to crush them if things don't go their (the adults) way just doesn't really sit well with me and is the main aspect of college football that I hate. The system needs to be revamped from top to bottom but I'd wager that the same thing will still be being said in another 10 years time.

Anyway, here's the link for the show and it's well worth a watch - http://www.sockshare.com/file/D9E4840027AA1D54#

Huge game announced today - USC take on Alabama at Cowboys Stadium in 2016. Heard the rumours a few months ago but refused to believe them. Can't wait for that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Huge game announced today - USC take on Alabama at Cowboys Stadium in 2016. Heard the rumours a few months ago but refused to believe them. Can't wait for that game.

I'll be trying to make my way to that one, if I can! Imagine ticket prices will be nuts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Jesus that will be amazing. No chance of getting tickets though

Fastest player in college football this season. There's YouTube videos of each player available if you follow the link:

http://heismanpundit.com/2014/07/21/the-fastest-players-in-college-football-2014/
    It’s time for my often-imitated, never-duplicated annual list of the fastest players in college football.

There are few subjects in sports more debated — and more misunderstood — than speed. While almost every major sport puts a premium on it, they seem to be unable to settle on a standard by which to accurately measure it.

Football programs at all levels and the media that cover them rely mostly on the 40-yard dash to quantify who is, and who is not, fast. In and of itself, there’s nothing wrong with the idea that speed over 40 yards is a valuable asset. The problem is that it is not measured with any semblance of accuracy.

You know the old saying: “To err is human?” That definitely applies to the timing of the 40-yard dash. Almost every 40-yard dash time you’ve heard attributed to a player was timed by hand, meaning a human digit had a significant influence on its outcome. Even so-called electronically-timed 40-yard dashes require a human to start the clock once the runner begins the race on his own accord.

Studies have shown that such hand-based methods are prone to error and wipe away, on average, at least .24 seconds off the real time of a race. So that “official” 4.35 you think your favorite player ran at the combine? Yeah, it was probably more like a 4.59.

What’s more, 40-yard dashes are run under widely disparate conditions. For instance, wind gauges are not used. Some 40s are run on a track, others on grass and still others on artificial turf. Some runners use spikes, while others run in sneakers. This extra bit of unrecorded variation adds even more unreliability to 40 times. Nonetheless, this is rarely taken into account when 40 times are discussed.

Luckily, we have an accurate standard by which to measure speed. It’s called Fully Automatic Time, or FAT. This electronic timing method has been required in track for record purposes since 1977. No track time is officially counted as a record — whether on a personal or world level — that is not recorded with FAT. Furthermore, the governing bodies of track and field require wind readings and standardized running surfaces at sanctioned track events. The goal is to create uniform conditions so that times all over the world can be compared and contrasted with confidence.

So why doesn’t football use FAT for the 40-yard dash? As Rob Rang reported last year, the NFL tried it at the 2012 scouting combine. But the results were kept secret and the FAT timing was dumped in 2013 in favor of a combination of hand and electronic times. Clearly, marketing and hype takes precedent over accuracy at the NFL combine. No one wants to rave about a running back who just ran a 4.7, right?

College football strength coaches don’t use FAT times when they time their players, either, though all it would take is a walk over to the track offices to pick up the equipment. Hand times may be for your mama, but FAT is still apparently too accurate for the hype-filled world of strength and conditioning. Bigger, stronger and faster is the mantra in those circles. A better one would be bigger, stronger, faster and not accurate.

Forget the NFL and strength coaches. We still have the ability to reliably quantify the fastest players in college football because scores of football players also ran track in high school and continue to do so in college, giving us quality data with which we can rank their speed.

And so we get to the 2014 edition of college football’s fastest players, which first started at HeismanPundit.com back in 2005. To make this list, I weighed a variety of track marks, including the indoor 55 and 60-meter dashes, the outdoor 100, 200 and 400-meter dashes, the 110-meter and 400-meter hurdles and the long jump (for those wondering, it usually requires a good bit of foot speed — or turnover, as it’s called — to jump a certain distance). I also take into account when the races were run, whether a player has been injured and how often they competed. It’s important to note that some of these players were not full-time track competitors when they ran their marks, or did so while cross-training with football (a very difficult thing to do). Also, I assume that the wear and tear of football dilutes the importance of times more than a couple years old. Wind-legal marks took precedent over windy ones and such factors as times run in cold-weather states and altitude were considered. When push came to shove, the 100 meters served as the most leaned-upon standard, though a phenomenal mark in another event certainly carries a lot of weight. The sources for these marks were TrackandField News.com, Dyestat.com and the US Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association, which puts out its own annual list of top football/track participants.

So this is really a list of the players in college football who are quantifiably the fastest. Could there be players not on this list who are faster? Sure, but without valid track marks you won’t be able to make that case, save with anecdotal evidence.

Before we get to the players, keep in mind that this list does not measure football ability, but merely one vital facet of athleticism. It’s no different than measuring height or wingspan on a basketball player. The players who make this list are really, really fast — the cream of the crop in this category — but that doesn’t mean players who didn’t make it aren’t fast, too.

Finally, let’s dispense with the notion that there is ‘football’ speed and ‘track’ speed. The ability to start and stop and change direction are attributes unto themselves and not elements of being fast. Neither is the unique ability to maintain one’s speed in full football regalia. Face it, what most people see as speed on the track not translating to football is really just a matter of a player not being very good.

On to the 2014 list:

1. Tyreek Hill, RB/WR, Junior, Oklahoma State – Hill, a native of Douglas, Ga., signed with the Cowboys out of Garden City Community College and enrolled in the spring. He’s already been tabbed the Big 12 Newcomer of the Year. He ran his marks as a 2012 senior in high school, with his 200 meter time coming up just shy of the nearly 30-year-old prep record. You can’t run 20.1 in the 200 meters at any time without being a phenomenal physical talent. For those who disagree with Hill being on top of this list, think of the fastest current football player you know and ask yourself: Could he run 20.1 in the 200m? The answer is probably no. So, despite being a couple years old, his times are elite enough to carry over and make him this year’s fastest player in college football.

10.19 (100m), 20.14 (200m)

2. Raheem Mostert, RB, Senior, Purdue – Mostert had an excellent track season this past spring, winning Big Ten titles in the indoor 60-meter dash and the 100 and 200 meter dashes. He ran a wind-aided (+2.6) 10.15 in the 100 at the NCAA East Regional Championships before going on to finish 13th in that event at the NCAA Championships. On the gridiron, he had 11 carries for 37 yards and averaged 23.5 yards on kickoff returns, including one touchdown, in 2014.

6.63 (60m), 10.28 (100m), 20.65 (200m)

3. Devon Allen, WR, Redshirt Freshman, Oregon – Figuring out where exactly to put Allen on this list was difficult as he’s an elite hurdler who only dabbles in the sprints. Ignorance of track and field in the modern college football media is a sad fact, which means few fully appreciated Allen’s recent accomplishments. Here’s the thing, folks: It’s one thing to be a college football player who runs track — there’s a slew of those players every year and only a handful do so at a high level. But it’s another thing to have the physical capability to train for football in the fall (and take all the physical punishment that comes with it) then come out in the spring and switch one’s body to an entirely different discipline and still perform at a world-class level. The Oregon freshman not only won the NCAA title in the 110-meter high hurdles, he did so in a meet-record time of 13.16, beating out runners who spent the fall preparing for track, not getting hit on the football field. He then went on to win the same event at the U.S. Championships. To give you an idea of how fast 13.16 is, consider that it would’ve been among the top 10 times in the world in 2013. He’s rare. You can’t run that time without being very, very fast. However, given that there is also an element of precision and timing to the hurdles that has less to do with raw speed than technique, I’ve placed him in a very respectable third on this list. But he could very well be the fastest. Look for Allen, who redshirted last season, to be one of Marcus Mariota’s main weapons this fall.

6.85 (60m), 10.56 (100m), 20.98 (200m), 13.16 (110m HH)

4. Kolby Listenbee, WR, Junior, TCU – Listenbee ran some blazing times this past track season, posting a best of 10.23 in the 100 meters (though he went as low as 10.12 with a heavy wind). He caught two passes for 23 yards for the Horned Frogs in 2013.

6.70 (60m), 10.23 (100m), 20.92 (200m)

5. Levonte Whitfield, WR, Sophomore, Florida State – Whitfield was No. 1 on last year’s list and his drop to No. 5 this year is less about him and more about what others have done since then. He still has an argument for being the fastest of the bunch and he certainly has made the greatest impact on the football field thus far. Whitfield caught five passes for 89 yards, rushed three times for 110 yards and averaged an astounding 36.41 yards (with two touchdowns) on 17 kickoff returns. Of course, his touchdown return against Auburn in the national title game with under five minutes to go was one of the biggest plays of the season and sparked the Seminoles to a win in that contest (watch him destroy the pursuit angles in the tape). His best speed marks came as a senior in high school and he did not run track in the spring, so I’m docking him ever-so-slightly here. The rigors of football are not to be underestimated and undergoing a training regimen that isn’t focused solely on speed is a factor. But being fifth on this list is no shame. He’s still amazingly fast.

6.64 (60m), 10.28 (100m), 20.98 (200m)

6. Dennis Thurgood, CB, Senior, Wisconsin Eau-Claire – Thurgood makes his second appearance on this list after a fine season on the track. He blazed to personal bests of 6.68, 10.28 and 20.86 to cap off an athletic year that saw him notch 34 tackles and six pass breakup for the Division III Blugolds in the fall.

6.69 (60m), 10.28 (100m), 20.86 (200m)

7. Broderick Snoddy, RB, Junior, Georgia Tech – Snoddy rushed for 150 yards on 24 carries in the fall for the Yellow Jackets and then showed off his track skills in the spring by blazing to times of 6.67, 10.28 and 21.07.

6.67 (60m), 10.28 (100m), 21.07 (200m)

8. Khalfani Muhammad, RB, Sophomore, California – Muhammad led the Bears with 445 rushing yards and four touchdowns as a true freshman. He also caught 14 passes for 184 yards and a score. The true sophomore was the California state champion in the 100 meters and 200 meters as a senior in high school.

10.33 (100m), 20.73 (200m)

9. Damiere Byrd, WR, Senior, South Carolina – Byrd caught 33 passes for 575 yards and four touchdowns last season for the Gamecocks. He didn’t run track in the winter or spring, but he did run a 6.66 in the 60m the previous track season, which is a really fast mark to go with his best high school and college times.

6.66 (60m), 10.41 (100m), 21.21 (200m)

10. Kailo Moore, RB, Sophomore, Mississippi – Moore rushed for 69 yards and caught three passes as a true freshman last fall for the Rebels. He then posted a fine season on the track, notching personal bests in all three sprint disciplines.

6.79 (60m), 10.43 (100m), 21.14 (200m)

• Advertisement

Complete Idiot Roundup 22/07/14

LSU DT Trey Lealaimatafao is recovering in hospital after punching a window in LSU's gym after an argument with his girlfriend. The glass tore his bicep, revealing the bone beneath. Though initial reports of a possible amputation proved exaggerated, he'll miss the entire season.

TCU's best defensive player, DE Devonte Fields, is set to be dismissed from the programme after punching his girlfriend, pointing a gun at her and threatening to "blast" her.

Georgia DT Jonathan Taylor has been arrested for the second time this offseason after strangling a girl in his dorm. A dismissal will likely follow.

Bowling Green RB William Houston is currently in jail after being arrested for attempted rape of a passed out girl at a house party.

Idaho's leading WR Dezmon Epps has been dismissed after being charged with DUI.

I hereby set the over/under for Idiots this day next week at a generous 3.5. Place your bets.

Darnell Solomon gets his own Idiot entry as he's a special kind of stupid.

A 5-star WR prospect who has his pick of offers from Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Notre Dame, South Carolina (the list goes on...) attended Georgia's Dawg Night at the weekend - a camp where prospects come to see Georgia and workout. While there, he decided to take the opportunity to break into a girls dorm, and helped himself to an iPhone and a wallet with cash inside. Interrupted by the girls returning home, he legged it.

Take a bow Darnell.

Joe Bergeron, RB
    Jalen Overstreet, RB
    Chevoski Collins, CB
    Josh Turner, S
    Kendall Sanders, WR
    Montrel Meander, WR

All kicked off the Texas team over the last couple of days. The first 4 for violation of team rules, the latter 2 for being charged with felony sexual assault.

So much for setting the over/under Idiots for the week at 3!

Joe Bergeron, RB
    Jalen Overstreet, RB
    Chevoski Collins, CB
    Josh Turner, S
    Kendall Sanders, WR
    Montrel Meander, WR

All kicked off the Texas team over the last couple of days. The first 4 for violation of team rules, the latter 2 for being charged with felony sexual assault.

So much for setting the over/under Idiots for the week at 3!

Lol just coming in to post this

Oklahoma's much hyped 5-star running back Joe Mixon celebrated his 18th birthday on Thursday night by breaking a woman's face in 4 places after harassing her and her friends, and is currently hiding from the police while his lawyer communicates for him.

Maybe I'm just paying more attention, but this has been a particularly reckless week in CFB.

FYI, if anyone is interested in College Fantasy Football, there's a thread set up over here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057257395

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just checked on the bargain alert forum and it seems Setanta are doing a deal via facebook. 1 euro for the first month and no contract.

If I'm reading this correct you can sign up any time in August and get the deal. Therefore if I sign up the day before the season starts I should get a month of football for a euro.

I guess it's to tempt the soccer crowd with a low offer and then hopefully (for Setanta) to keep their subscription long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Just over two weeks until it starts back up again. Can't wait.

Winner: Oregon
    Underachievers: Florida State
    Surprise Package: Texas
    Heisman: Braxton Miller

Winner: Florida State - They've oftne underachieved based on their preseason hype, especially in the last few years but that was mostly based on a potential they hadn't yet reached. This time it's different - they've reached that potential already. They return a load of quality starters, and they have the easiest schedule of any championship hopeful. Hard to look past them.

Underachievers: Oregon. Their annual loss to Stanford on top of what I think will be a defeat against Michigan State.

Surprise Package: Marshall - expecting them to go undefeated for the year and Cato to be a Heisman contender while doing so.

Heisman: Has to be a QB, so I'll go with Bryce Petty to put up another set of monster statistics to take home the Heisman.

By the way, we have up to 3 spots available in the college fantasy football league if anyone wants to join.

Big trouble at Notre Dame.

Their #1 WR, #1 CB and #1 DE, and a depth LB have all been apparently banging a tutor in exchange for her writing their papers for them. So they are likely academically ineligible for last season. Word is a lot of wins will be vacated (including their 2012 undefeated regular season) and the players involved will be suspended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

This is what happens when you cancel practice....

Big trouble at Notre Dame.

Their #1 WR, #1 CB and #1 DE, and a depth LB have all been apparently banging a tutor in exchange for her writing their papers for them. So they are likely academically ineligible for last season. Word is a lot of wins will be vacated (including their 2012 undefeated regular season) and the players involved will be suspended.

Out of interest, what happens to the players from back then that were involved but are now in the NFL or elsewhere? I presume nothing, but I'm unsure.

Braxton Miller dislocated his throwing shoulder. Rumour is that he could be out for the year. We'll find out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 swedstef

Braxton Miller dislocated his throwing shoulder. Rumour is that he could be out for the year. We'll find out today.

Miller is out for the year according to Ohio State's official web page.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nearly There:

Thursday Night/Friday Morning:

South Carolina v Texas A&M 11pm BT Sport 2
    Boise State v Ole Miss 1am ESPN
    Vanderbilt v Temple 2:15am BT Sport 2

Friday Night/Sat Morning

Conneticut v BYU 0:00 ESPN
    Arizona v UNLV 03:30 ESPN

Saturday

Penn State v UCF 13:30 ESPN
    Virginia v UCLA 17:00 ESPN
    West Virgina v Alabama 20:30 ESPN
    Florida Statre v Oaklahoma State 01:00 BT Sport2

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Couple of big games missing from that list unfortunately.

Clemson/Georgia and Wisconsin/LSU. Both are on ESPN college pass though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Anyone getting College Pass this year and is there any cheapo option using proxy unblocker?

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »

They're not so funny when it's your own team's defensive captain :(

Advertisement