Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saxon gluten free beer(by Carlsberg)?

• 04-07-2012 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Reckon I've a yeast/gluten allergy which is a pain cos I love me beer!!Did a bit of research,saw yeast and gluten free beer like Estrella Daura and Greens.All seem very pricey(and reviews are mixed on how they taste!).
    Came across Saxon beer,brewed by Carlsberg-http://www.saxonbeer.com/
    Interested to know if anyone has seen this around?Or any other decently priced yeast free beer?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Pretty much every mass-produced lager will be yeast free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

BeerNut wrote: »
    Pretty much every mass-produced lager will be yeast free.

So is Carlsberg etc yeast free?I thought most lagers here contained yeast,wheat,gluten?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

No wheat. Gluten: yes probably. The yeast will all have been killed and filtered out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Before you cut out beer etc, go to your GP, they can do a blood test to confirm or deny your suspicions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Before you cut out beer etc, go to your GP, they can do a blood test to confirm or deny your suspicions.

Good idea. My wife was sure I'd an allergy to wheat as I was having awful sinus problems. Turns out it was a mild infection that had never been treated. Dose of anti biotics & I was fine. Dr confirmed no allergy & I can drink beer again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Yeh,I'll go to GP next week,fingers crossed its just an infection!!Don't fancy having to give up the few beers!

toby2111 wrote: »
    Yeh,I'll go to GP next week,fingers crossed its just an infection!!Don't fancy having to give up the few beers!

I thought I was Coeliac, turned out to just be a bad virus. Went to the GP, had the results the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

If you're getting checked make sure you get a proper anti-body test done. There are a load of spoofers these days offering all sorts of food intolerance tests that aren't worth a damn. My own dad got fleeced by one of these on referral from his own GP.

http://www.coeliac.ie/coeliac_disease/getting_diagnosed

hardCopy wrote: »
    If you're getting checked make sure you get a proper anti-body test done. There are a load of spoofers these days offering all sorts of food intolerance tests that aren't worth a damn. My own dad got fleeced by one of these on referral from his own GP.

http://www.coeliac.ie/coeliac_disease/getting_diagnosed

Good point, my gp actually took the blood tests and sent them to a hospital lab. I wasn't referred to anyone else

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

toby2111 wrote: »
    So is Carlsberg etc yeast free?I thought most lagers here contained yeast,wheat,gluten?

All alcohol drinks have yeast, particularly beers, ciders and wine. I have a yeast intollerance myself and even small amounts of beer will repeat on me the next day. Only had 5 cans and a chinese last night (msg is full of yeast) and don't feel great today, :mad::mad:

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

yoyo wrote: »
    All alcohol drinks have yeast, particularly beers,
    Mass produced beers have been filtered to within an inch of their lives. 0.5 micron filters are physically too small for 99.99% of yeast to pass through.
    (msg is full of yeast)
    MSG is Mono Sodium Glutamate, a chemical, just like Sodium Chloride. There is no yeast in either.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Tube wrote: »
    Mass produced beers have been filtered to within an inch of their lives. 0.5 micron filters are physically too small for 99.99% of yeast to pass through.

MSG is Mono Sodium Glutamate, a chemical, just like Sodium Chloride. There is no yeast in either.

I went to an expert who informed me beer has yeast in it, maybe not a huge amount, but enough to upset people with intollerances. Same as there yeast in msg (I think yeast extract is part of MSG). The fact that I wake up after having a chinese or meal full of msg feeling bloated (no alcohol either) means that it effects me, and I have a yeast intollerance. Fwiw I had 5 cans the following day/no meal with a lot of msg and felt fine,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

The fact that I wake up after having a chinese or meal full of msg feeling bloated (no alcohol either) means that it effects me,
    Not really scientific tho, is it? Maybe you have a problem with yeast, and something else, like MSG itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Thought I was caoeliac (prob not correct spelling) a couple of years ago, went on a gluten free diet, had blood and scope tests and came back negative, consultant suggested I change my beer, changed from heineken to carlsberg and not a bother since, try change your beer in the mean time while your waiting for results

Advertisement