Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chargers Thread

• 03-05-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭

Now is as good a time as any to see how many Boltheads who bleed blue n gold we have round here. This thread can be used for all things related to our beloved Chargers.

RIP #55.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Good man, all the other teams have their own threads so we might as well too.

Have to say i'm feeling pretty good with the off-season we've had, a lot of competition for positions in camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Here is to a great year.

By my reckoning all the Chargers fans have now posted in the thread, good job lads :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

More of a lurker than a poster. I'm happiest about resigning hardwick, saddest about seeing dielman retire but it was for the best. Draft looks really promising too. Hoping Gaither can do what he did at the tail end of last year

At the minute we are really short at CB. At this rate need Gilchrist and Wright to perform x10 times better.

A better pass rush will benefit them though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Gaither is a strange case

Drafted by the Ravens in the supplemental draft
    Came in and was superb, we reckoned he would on the team for the next decade
    Got switched to RT when Michael Oher arrived and was unhappy
    Mysterious back injury flared up that nobody realy knew what was happening
    Cut by the Ravens, signed and cut by the Chiefs, rejected by the Raiders
    Comes to San Diego and looks absolutely superb for the last few games of the season

Could be one of the best FA signings the Chargers make for a long time
    But nobody knows can he be consistent

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

not only do we have a thread. We also have a San Diego Chargers Irish Fans facebook group which has been in existence for a few years

Some of you may be on it already. Damo I know you are!!

PM if anyone wishes to join.

RIP Junior.

rgs
    LF

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

ac20 wrote: »
    not only do we have a thread. We also have a San Diego Chargers Irish Fans facebook group which has been in existence for a few years

Some of you may be on it already. Damo I know you are!!

PM if anyone wishes to join.

RIP Junior.

rgs
    LF

Jaysus another new handle!, I can't keep up with you. U naming yourself after Cason then?.

I make it there should be 7 of us on here. At least I know of 7 posters off the top of my head who have proclaimed their devotion to the Bolts.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Gaither is a strange case

Drafted by the Ravens in the supplemental draft
    Came in and was superb, we reckoned he would on the team for the next decade
    Got switched to RT when Michael Oher arrived and was unhappy
    Mysterious back injury flared up that nobody realy knew what was happening
    Cut by the Ravens, signed and cut by the Chiefs, rejected by the Raiders
    Comes to San Diego and looks absolutely superb for the last few games of the season

Could be one of the best FA signings the Chargers make for a long time
    But nobody knows can he be consistent

That's the thing Mike and welcome to our soiree here btw!. Many are saying now that he has 'been paid' he will slack off. I'm hoping not. He is saying all the right things now and we have fantastic O line coaches who will not tolerate wasters. In fact our principal O line coach last year is our OC this year. Gaither will be gone as fast as he arrived if he starts to arse about.

Problem is we do not have a decent backup. Right now that man is Mario Henderson whose attitude is also questionable, nevermind his abilities.

• Advertisement

Rochey18 wrote: »
    At the minute we are really short at CB. At this rate need Gilchrist and Wright to perform x10 times better.

A better pass rush will benefit them though.

Agree. Jammer is almost done. I like Cason so not too worried there. I'm not sure Gilchrist is in fact an NFL quality corner. He could be a great FS but we set there with Weddle. Wright's first year was a total waste, he barely saw the field at all so God knows what he will bring. I say we'll go after a vet in the next month to backup/replace Jam.

Ingram will be a beast though and we might even get something out of Larry this year, who knows. Pass rush cannot be any worse surely.

Larry has been a good pass rusher without getting sacks up over runs the the passer a lot though, and really good in run stop.

Pitty he isnt healthy, BUT if he can I think we have a really good linebacker unit.

Butler was great last year, I love him think he can be a top MLB in the league.
    Exciting to see Mouton too, Fans on the chargers forum really like him.

I think we've a really solid linebacking corp for this year, especially if English can stay healthy (and that's a big IF). My only concern is have we a 4th ILB after Butler, Spikes and Mouton, Diggs did well enough last year but i didn't think he was re-signed.
    The pass rush was atrocious last year but a lot of that was because all our OLBs had to play too many snaps because of injuries.
    CBs definitely have me worried so we have to have a good pass rush to help them out. Jammer and Cason both had bad years but they both have enough potential to rebound, Gilchrist should improve but Wright doesn't seem like he will be up to much, i hope i'm wrong about him.

Our offence will be ok if the line holds up. I think Gaither will continue playing well this year and Dombrowski and Greene should provide good competition for the LG.

I think Matthews will have a huge year, he improved a lot from 1st to 2nd year and with a natural FB leading the way and making holes we should have a really solid running game.

Oh yeah....Philip Rivers for MVP

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Padji1

Another Bolts fan here, serious Antonio Gates fanboi!

Very sad to hear of Junior Seau. RIP.
    Another case of players being unable to adjust to the normal life after being absolutely idolised and wanting for nothing for the majority of their adult lives.
    It reminds me of Ray Liotta's character from Goodfellas when he goes into witness protection, going from being somebody to being a regular Joe Schmuck.

Really happy about the 2012 draft. I think Ingram is gonna be a star and I didn't expect him to fall that far. Baker has potential to be a steal, same for Molk.
    The pick of Troutman was a bit strange, probably went a bit soon for him particularly as he is injured for his entire rookie season.

This brings me on to my next point, how the fcuk does David Chao still have a job as the Chargers doctor?
    http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Chargers-Team-Doctor-Faces-News-Allegations-112065179.html

They seem to be very high on Troutman.

My favourite pick besides Ingram is Green. We really needed new bodies at TE.

Seems like Florence may be coming back too.

They seem to be very high on Troutman.

My favourite pick besides Ingram is Green. We really needed new bodies at TE.

Seems like Florence may be coming back too.

Agreed, Green has the physical characteristics of the 'new breed' of TE like Gronk, Graham etc. May need to bulk up his slender frame to improve at blocking but working under Gates can only be a good thing.

Florence could be a good signing. Think it;s about $3m of a salary cap hit. If that's correct, that's not bad value for a solid CB who will likely become a starter immediately.

BTW, what sites do you guys use for Charger info and who do you follow on Twitter?

3M cap hit? That cant be right can it?

On twitter I follow

Gehlken he is the beat writer for San Diego UT
    Acee was beat writer last year
    Johnston is a PR guy

The official Chargers forum is pretty good, they dont seem to understand the Salary Cap system though, want to sign every free agent going.

Another is Bolt Talk

Padji1 wrote: »
    Agreed, Green has the physical characteristics of the 'new breed' of TE like Gronk, Graham etc. May need to bulk up his slender frame to improve at blocking but working under Gates can only be a good thing.

Florence could be a good signing. Think it;s about $3m of a salary cap hit. If that's correct, that's not bad value for a solid CB who will likely become a starter immediately.

BTW, what sites do you guys use for Charger info and who do you follow on Twitter?

I'm not mad about the idea of Flo coming back. But we do need some vet help at CB no doubt about it. As for web/twitter etc I check out the below;

bolttalk forum, UT, justice is coming, si, nfl.com yada yada yada

on twitter - gehlken, acee, christopher smith, annie, canepa, prguy bill johnston, peter king, clark judge, jim trotter, marty caswell, darren smith, ray chan, tko, gates, shareece wright, gilchrist, pro football talk, reyes, eddie royal, bolt beat, gach, vincent brown, jay posner, notajsmith, scott bair, corey liuget, john spanos, hester, lucab12, adam schefter, chargers_chris, lombardi, tim sullivan, mort, nick h, bolts from the blue, roman oben, joel price, scott yoffe......

so only a few :D

3M cap hit? That cant be right can it?

On twitter I follow

Gehlken he is the beat writer for San Diego UT
    Acee was beat writer last year
    Johnston is a PR guy

The official Chargers forum is pretty good, they dont seem to understand the Salary Cap system though, want to sign every free agent going.

Another is Bolt Talk

Do you post on Bolttalk?. PM me your handle if you do.

Cheers lads, haven't looked at Bolt Talk myself. Been a lurker on Bolts from the Blue for some time.

I think the Florence $3m is incorrect, may be closer to $5 as he secured a better contract after being on $3m previously.

• Advertisement

Florence signs with the Broncos at $4.5m which is reasonable.
    We have signed most of our rookies apart from Taylor, Troutman and Baker but will likely be done this week.

I see we are favourites for 10 out of our 16 games:
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/may/09/vegas-places-odds-chargers-schedule/

Padji1 wrote: »
    Florence signs with the Broncos at $4.5m which is reasonable.
    We have signed most of our rookies apart from Taylor, Troutman and Baker but will likely be done this week.

I see we are favourites for 10 out of our 16 games:
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/may/09/vegas-places-odds-chargers-schedule/

I see Taylor is the last man standing. Apparently a hold up on bonus payment if he is starter day 1.

Can't get over the fact that we are faves for so many of the games. A couple really caught my eye ie. Bengals and Panthers. They are home games yes but I wouldn't have thought either game will be as easy as -5 or -6.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Nice to see the turn out last night for Junior Seau at Qualcomm Stadium. The Chargers estimated over 20,000 fans turned out to see off their local hero. It was an honour to have him play as a Patriot for his last 4 seasons. Universally loved and respected, may the big guy R.I.P.

There was talk of 60000 people showing up.

I thought there be more then 20000 anyways, watched it last nite.
    Good to see LT back too.

@Leslie91 No dont post on Bolttalk, been meaning to sign up for a while now.

Video clips from last night are up on the chargers website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Oh it's out of date at this stage but it's so funny :D
    Created by a Chargers fan

You've all seen it but it belongs in your thread

mrjerseys wrote: »
    Draft looks really promising too. Hoping Gaither can do what he did at the tail end of last year

Another Bolts fan?. Jaysus there are more on here than I thought. Gaither is the proverbial 'riddle wrapped up in an enigma'. Like you said here's hoping. I had/have great hopes for the TE Green, but did not like Acee's comment as to how he was doing. He said something like as expected, 'promising'. I interpret that as looks like the guy has some skills but is a long way from being the finished article.

Ingram, for me, will make a big impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Wow I thought I was the only bolts fan round here! :D
    SD seem to have a huge following!

Wow I thought I was the only bolts fan round here! :D
    SD seem to have a huge following!

Dunno bout huge but there is a few of us alright. Welcome!.

#BoltUp

• Advertisement

Seen on NFL.com that turner ready to trust Mathews, about time.
    This guys Tds will go way up being able to run the ball in the red zone.

Cant wait to see him this year.

Another Link of interview with Mathews.

Advertisement