Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just back. Really enjoyed it, particularly the Hulk. Credit to Whedon for getting RDJ to act instead of the mugging that made up his performance in IM2.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Going tomorrow afternoon. I can't actually remember the last time I was excited about going to see a film in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Thinking of going to see this tomorrow. Don't know whether to go for the 3D or not. My mother is coming with me, and she's never seen a 3D movie (not sure she's missing out on much, really). Is the 3D worth it?

Great movie. But the 3d is a pure gimmick and distraction in this film. it does take away from the movie. For me its like watching a pirated cam rip of a movie. Its just an anti pirating move wrapped as a gimmick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Do not see this film in 3D, it's useless and actually ruins a few key scenes because you can't tell WTF is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Was I the only that had trouble readin the sub titles at the start beause of the 3D?

I've had enough of it now. Never going to go see a 3D film again. Was very uncomfortable today wearing the glasses and for some reason the 3D in the film seemed to be not able to keep up with fast action, like the 3D hindered what should have been a smooth flow in the action scenes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Saw it this evening , its scary good.
    I really wish I was about 10 or 11 watching it - it would have made an awesome memory.

Apparently the film is doing insane money from presales in the states.
    They finally got hulk right.I wonder if they'll go with the infinity gems next Avengers movie (they were in Odins trophy case in Thor ,but already in the gauntlet ).

The only thing is (and it already got to me while watching Thor) when they make Ironman 3 etc. and the hero is in trouble it'll be nagging me in the back of my head - just call Thor / Hulk / Captain America to help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

How would Thanos compare to Thor and the Hulk, power wise?

I've seen it, but bit harsh not to spoiler it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Is there any point seeing this if you haven't seen the other movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Nah go see it then watch the others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If possible watch Thor first as a lot of the story comes from that and maybe the first Iron Man, the rest aren't really that good/important...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,460 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

These prop replicas look class! I'd love the iron man mask!

http://marvel.com/news/story/18627/pre-order_efx_avengers_prop_replicas_soon

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

With the exception of the first ironman it's probably best to just read the plota on wikipedia. Unless you're devoted.:) In all honesty though prior knowledge isn't really essential. In fact I'd argue that it's only this film that I actually got a feel for the characters. Wish Whedon had done all the movies. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭freyners

un-freaking-believable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

sheehy83 wrote: »
    These prop replicas look class! I'd love the iron man mask!

http://marvel.com/news/story/18627/pre-order_efx_avengers_prop_replicas_soon

I want Thor's hammer. Would be so awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

Just home from the Savoy where I saw it in 3D. Movie is excellent, well directed and paced very well. The 3D has no effect on the movie at all and is not worth it, I will go again but to a 2D showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

AWESOME!

Just back from seeing it (great the way we here in Ireland and the UK get it a week before the US) and please believe the hype!
    This is an amazing superhero movie - Joss Whedon we beleived in you and you have delivered in spades! Dialogue, charactisation, equal screen time for all characters, action, humour, bits for marvel fanboys - you pulled it off!

Won`t reveal too much but there are so many highlights it would be hard to name them - but there is one moment in the final battle that will make you laugh so hard your face will be sore:-) (there are many more moments like this) - you`ll know when you see the scene.

Thank you Marvel and thank you Mr.Whedon:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I can't get over how good this was I'm going to have to go again over the weekend but this time in 2D. As someone said already the first bit of the movie was kinda hard to make out because it was too dark. Can't wait to see it again though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

If someone told me to show a movie to a movie to an audience from both genders and all age ranges to entertain all of the in some way Avengers would be it. So much in that movie for literally everyone, fans, non fans, action fans, comedy fans etc.
    A great all rounder. Visually beautiful , very very funny, excellent action and great fan service. Best movie of the year so far for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

got to agree with all the positives and negatives 1st & last time seeing a 3D movie stopped reading this thread a few days ago and only watched 1st trailor from way back, well worth not spoiling anything that wasnt in that, will have to watch it again in a quiet place so there is no clapping

and whats with people leaving before the after credits scene ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Arterialspray

Corholio wrote: »
    Pretty good film. I agree with an earlier poster saying about the pacing issues, it seemed a bit off in places. Also a lot of the interaction between characters seemed very forced, like it was done just to have one Avenger talk to another, like one would just step in from out of scene, this happened a few times.
    The fixing the engine bit was a waste of time I thought, it was like "lets repair the engine that was blown to in incineration"

Enjoyed it though, the final scene (well 30 minutes) is relentless. Thor had the best line in it I thought
    "You wan't me to put the hammer down!
    Like the post credits scene too, Thanos should be a great Avengers 2 villain
    The fixing the engine bit was a waste of time I thought, it was like "lets repair the engine that was blown to in incineration", were they not attempting to fix the other engine that wasn't blown off via freeing the debris shard? I didn't find that scene extraneous at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Just back from this and thought it was fantastic. I thought that it might end up a little too diluted because there were so many different main characters, but they paced it all perfectly. Can't wait too see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Arterialspray

How would Thanos compare to Thor and the Hulk, power wise?

Thanos is Marvel's equivalent of Darkseid, so extremely powerful. Has bested Thor many times and fought toe to toe with Odin though was unable to defeat him. As with all things comic though there's variability in each incarnation.

As an aside I have to say this is the first time I've been genuinely excited to see a film (perhaps the Dark Knight as an exception) and it didn't disappoint and I'm about as cynical as they come, simply superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Awful 3D, decent movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thought it was merely OK to be honest, verging on the disappointing. Biggest problem is a sluggishly paced and overlong first act that is neither funny, exciting or interesting enough. Actually wearisome waiting for things to inevitably kick off: kept waiting for
    Thor to show up in some exciting fashion, but ultimately he just sort of dropped in from the sky in an anti-climax. Kinda made his character cliffhanger at the end of his film pointless. Obviously the budget didn't quite stretch to Oscar winners!

Second act is a big improvement, as it gives Whedon room to work with his strengths: interesting, funny and confrontational people in an enclosed environment. The banter, the interactions and the dynamics between all the characters are strong.
    Loki's scene with Black Widow was particularly strong IMO, as were most of the interactions in Banner's lab
    . An unexpected
    Galaga
    joke around the middle is also the film's most deserved and nerdy chuckle.

Third act kind of combines the strengths and weaknesses of the first two. On one hand, it's fairly characterless, especially
    the alien enemy who basically just provoke a New York blowing up action scene
    , the ilk of which we've seen several hundreds times before. Yet at least with Whedon's clear directorial eye the action remains coherent (a compliment that seems weird, but is by no means a given these days) and the characters do get their chance to shine
    (even if Hawkeye and Black Widow are a bit unavoidably useless compared to the rest of the hyper powered friends)
    . Hulk gets the best punchlines.
    Literally

There were times when The Avengers threatened to become more, but ultimately it just felt too long for too little reward. Not to say it isn't entertaining: it most certainly is, and with anyone other than Whedon at the core it could have been much worse. But as is it's merely decent. It actually seems like a shame to more or less abandon the strong, interesting character motivations seen in the previous films. Obviously there isn't a hell of a lot of time for character work with so many personalities seeking your attention, but this at its worst feels like a mere stop gap between the 'proper' continuation of these characters' stories (the Captain and Thor especially).

So yeah, solidly entertaining, but must say my experiences were far removed from the excitement I've seen elsewhere. Some of the audience seemed to be loving it - too much so, I'd say, laughing their asses off at jokes that weren't all that funny - so what do I know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I think it's something you really have to buy into. A lot of people have this close affinity with comic book culture that I've never had much interest in. I've hated most of these movies too, so I doubt Avengers will have anything in it for me. I'll probably check it out on DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

So much win occured in that 2hrs 10 minutes. It was amazing and none of that 3D crap either, 2D ftw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Film was good but I have one question
    when Thor, Ironman and Captain America were fighting in the forest at the start after capturing Loki, Thors lightning gave Ironman 400% more power and when Thor hit Cap's shield they leveled the place. So then all through the last battle in the city I was waiting for Thor to give Ironman that power boost again cause he really needed it or some kind of team combo to happen to take out a load of bad guys. Only thing that happened was Cap reflecting Ironmans blaster to hit several bad guys in a camera shot lasting half a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Fantastic, fantastic stuff. some of the dialogue was hilarious, once it got going and the team got together it was entertaining as hell. Jackson is the biggest weak link of the movie, phones it in as only Jackson can, an whatsherface from HIMYM is fairly pointless. but given the wealth of characters everyone gets enough time, I was worried it would be all Stark and Cap but everyone gets their moments.
    I thought Ruffalo was brilliant as Banner, he looks akward all the time and plays him really understated, but its Hiddleston who steals the show, every scene he's in is brilliant.

The crowd I saw it with were loving it, some of my favourite moments:
    "that guys playing Galaga!"

Hulk slapping the sh1t out of Loki.

Thor v Iron Man

Thor v Hulk, especially when he batters him in the face with the hammer, the whole audience went "oooohhhh!"

the tracking shot following all of the group around the battle in New York, brilliant stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Loved it. Every character gets their moment to shine. Black Widow kicks ass and Hulk is hilarious. The end credit sequence sneak is worth the price of admission alone. I never thought I'd see my favourite villain on the big screen.

Advertisement