Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Those Sport Science clips make me want to get into that course even more, though I think it's beyong my reach.

Happy New Year, y'all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Hell yeah January means play-offs!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hazys wrote: »
    Could be against the Broncos, Ravens, Steelers, Texans or Jets...all will be great games, especially if its against the Jets cos Sanchez is going to suck in the snow.
    I wouldn't write-off Sanchez just yet... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

• Advertisement

jdivision wrote: »
    Feck Drew Brees, he's just thrown three interceptions for me in Madden. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/01/05/cushing.ap/index.html

Cushing wins defensive rookie of the year award. The 9th LB in 10 years to win the award.

The awards release schedule...offensive rookie of the year award l8r today:

January 6 (morning): defensive rookie of the year.

January 6 (afternoon): offensive rookie of the year.

January 7 (morning): comeback player of the year.

January 10: MVP.

January 13 (morning): defensive player of the year.

January 14 (morning): offensive player of the year.

January 15 (morning): All-Pro team.

January 17: coach of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

Jets going into wild card weekend with this to contend with.
    Any difference to the team?
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wilson-Jets-owners-daughter-passes-away.html

Prayers for her and her family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

What's Pacman up to these days does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I'm sure you mean Adam 'Pacman' Jones aye?

Just checked it up. Football wise, he's been realeased by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers for, and I quote:
    However, the Blue Bombers announced on September 2 that they were no longer going to pursue Jones after Jones made some remarks on an internet video including calling the league the United Football League when it is in fact the Canadian Football League

Solid going Pac.

More reading here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Jones_(American_football)

I swear you can't make some of this stuff up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Looks like Mike Shanahan is very close to becoming the new Redskins coach Will we see a return to the Glory days in Washington, or is Shanahan overrated?
    Mike Shanahan agreed to become the coach of the Washington Redskins on Tuesday, the latest step in a major overhaul of a troubled NFL team.

Shanahan's decision was confirmed to The Associated Press by an official within the NFL. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the team was not commenting on its coaching search.

The Redskins announced they would hold a news conference on Wednesday, although they did not say why.

The deal with Shanahan is for five years, the Denver Post reported on its Web site. The hire comes less than 48 hours after the Redskins fired Jim Zorn — and less than three weeks after front-office chief Vinny Cerrato resigned and quickly was replaced by general manager Bruce Allen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

I don't think Shanny is some super genius or galactic guru. But he's proven he can win with talent. His men play hard for him. I don't think he's the type of guy that will come in and overachieve. But he's not going to be a liability or cause the team to perform way below it's potential either. He's a solid choice. Now if they'd only do something about that owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well we will get to see how ruthless Mike is, imo he needs to hold onto DC Greg Blache as he has done a great job over the last two seasons. He needs to fire his son though, that offense has been horrendous. It will be funny to see what happens there with Kyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well we will get to see how ruthless Mike is, imo he needs to hold onto DC Greg Blache as he has done a great job over the last two seasons. He needs to fire his son though, that offense has been horrendous. It will be funny to see what happens there with Kyle.

Kyle Shanahan has been the OC at the Texans the last two years, they've been pretty good on offence. Matt Schuab had 4700 yards this year but the running game one of the least productive in the NFL after numerous ball security issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

frostie500 wrote: »
    Kyle Shanahan has been the OC at the Texans the last two years, they've been pretty good on offence. Matt Schuab had 4700 yards this year but the running game one of the least productive in the NFL after numerous ball security issues

He was the QB coach at the Texans 2 years previous to the being OC also. I like Kyle Shanahan. Will never be a Head Coach in my opinion but he will go on to be a solid OC the longer he goes on. As Frostie says he has done a good job with the Texans Offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Here's another one of the Sports Science segments, this time with Kris Jenkins testing how an average person would fare agains a lineman.

If you dont want to watch it, then at least fast forward to 4:20 to see complete ownage, hilarious in its brutality :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

frostie500 wrote: »

I agree, the Texans have been red hot throwing the ball the past few seasons. I think if they can get Clinton Portis back health it will really help the run game. Don't forget Portis used to play for Shanahan in Denver and hes well suited to that style.

Did anyone try out their QB/Baseball skills with snowballs?

Just me then? Hmmm.....

Weird thing is, i have a baseball and a football :o

:eek::eek: WTF? :eek::eek:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Footballers have way too much time on their hands...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

^^^^^^ Rofl, OMFG how bad is that:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Si Conando

That is gold! He made it with Nike 2 years ago as a pisstake, strange time to release it

Poor poor stuff there!!! ''Challenge that call'' is the funniest line!!

Did anyone else see this? Its a really good magazine article about the Marvin Harrison shooting case. I cant believe more is not being made of this story.

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201002/marvin-harrison?currentPage=7

Hynzie wrote: »
    Did anyone else see this? Its a really good magazine article about the Marvin Harrison shooting case. I cant believe more is not being made of this story.

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201002/marvin-harrison?currentPage=7

Someone posted that awhile back. Mad mad article.

Edit: snippet of the one you posted was posted before.

Someone posted that awhile back. Mad mad article.

Edit: snippet of the one you posted was posted before.

My bad didn't realize it was up already. I was just floored reading it. I knew there was something fishy about that case but the details in this article are crazy. Marvin Harrison is probably the last person in the NFL I thought would be involved in stuff like that.

Hynzie wrote: »
    My bad didn't realize it was up already. I was just floored reading it. I knew there was something fishy about that case but the details in this article are crazy. Marvin Harrison is probably the last person in the NFL I thought would be involved in stuff like that.

The article you put up is far superior with detail than the last. Holy crap on a stick Harrison has a dark background. Such a quiet dude and then you read that crap about him.

The article you put up is far superior with detail than the last. Holy crap on a stick Harrison has a dark background. Such a quiet dude and then you read that crap about him.

Ya the stuff about his half brothers and other family is rough stuff.

Stumbled across this website by accident today - it's the best players in the NFL's history by player number. it's a couple of years but perhaps we could do our own version???

i expect some contention about #12 :cool:

http://www.bestbythenumbers.com/2007/11/nfl-athlete-number-1-warren-moon.html

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    Stumbled across this website by accident today - it's the best players in the NFL's history by player number. it's a couple of years but perhaps we could do our own version???

i expect some contention about #12 :cool:

What website? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement