Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

orange provocation

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

many hard line Loyalists would go to lengths to try and spark up a resurgence of Republican violence. Provocative marches like this one outside the church are done for this very reason... in the hope that Republicans would weaken their position at the table in Stormount

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

El Siglo wrote: »
    Why the fuck should I? I live here and have as much right to stay here as anyone else.

Well then stop whinging about the lack of atmosphere on a holiday you don't subscribe to. No-one is forcing you to stay or leave - your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

many hard line Loyalists would go to lengths to try and spark up a resurgence of Republican violence. Provocative marches like this one outside the church are done for this very reason... in the hope that Republicans would weaken their position at the table in Stormount

It was bigots like these that gave the ira the biggest recruitment campaign it ever had. This order is nothing to do with culture. It has its roots in vigilante groups like the peep o day boys. It strenghtens my theory that britian would rather lose northern Ireland. I feel sorry for anyone whatever their religion who has to put up with these bigots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

alastair wrote: »
    tbh the marching/bands/provocation loses all it's impact if you choose to ignore it, or allow it right into the devilish heart of popery. If it doesn't provoke a response it become rather less appealling to the bigots. The parades might never be an inclusive affair, but they certainly used to be non-contentious - and they can be again.

I've enjoyed the odd march in Derry - it's mostly high camp if you ignore the antagonists.

Its not so much of a laugh if you're stuck in your house while some shower who haven'r copped on that its not the 1500's anymore troop past. Yesterday they bussed themselves 6 miles instead of marching - just so they could march down the only part of the route that was contested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

tbh the marching/bands/provocation loses all it's impact if you choose to ignore it, or allow it right into the devilish heart of popery. If it doesn't provoke a response it become rather less appealling to the bigots. The parades might never be an inclusive affair, but they certainly used to be non-contentious - and they can be again.

Then why did the YCV have march outside a Catholic Church, in North Belfast, singing sectarian songs? Was that needed? They already got to go through the Ardoyne, they had their parade routes agreed upon. There was absolutely no need to go right in front of that church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭john why

HoggyRS wrote: »
    They are absolute scum of the earth. Is this an example of the "culture" they expect us to respect?

videos here:

did u hear that babe at the end of the first video(ill knock ur cu#t off son). nice lad

• Registered Users Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I've enjoyed the odd march in Derry - it's mostly high camp if you ignore the antagonists.

Do Republicans march down the Shankhill? No they don't and there would be hell to pay if they did but yet it's deemed ok for that lot to march where they are clearly not welcome flying the butchers apron.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Scum on both side imo, Britain is more than welcome to the sh!thole that is Northern Ireland.

john why wrote: »
    did u hear that babe at the end of the first video(ill knock ur cu#t off son). nice lad

This is the shower that lament for the days when it was Fenian furniture you used on a 12th bonfire and not pallets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The ol' 'just ignore it' spiel, such naivety. It's impossible to ignore - what do you want people to do? Wear ear protectors, blindfolds and lock themselves in a darkened room for a month?

It's a marching season not a marching day; did that fact pass you by or are you just here in a failed attempt to be condescending?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Scum on both side imo, Britain is more than welcome to the sh!thole that is Northern Ireland.
    Britain quite deliberately made that shithole. Why should we leave normal people to suffer in some chinless prick's wet dream?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Well then stop whinging about the lack of atmosphere on a holiday you don't subscribe to. No-one is forcing you to stay or leave - your choice.

Are you serious? So if you don't like it, tough? Well, that's a great mentality to subscribe to. However, if you don't like it you are allowed to air your displeasure, that's free speech and freedom of expression, the same free freedoms that allow these scum to parade around the place. So no, I don't like it and shouldn't have to be forced to leave. Would you tell the people in Ardoyne the same? Why should the hegemony of one group force the rest of us into acquiescence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

The irony of a bunch of jaffa scottish immigrant brain donors playing that song while in Ireland.

It would be the equivalent of a Klan cross burning in Freetown.

Nodin wrote: »
    Its not so much of a laugh if you're stuck in your house while some shower who haven'r copped on that its not the 1500's anymore troop past. Yesterday they bussed themselves 6 miles instead of marching - just so they could march down the only part of the route that was contested.

It's not like it's a surprise when it comes around each year though - if you don't want to be cooped up all day, then make sure you're out for the day - half the prods are off in Ibiza, - which seems the best plan given the alternative is closed shops and nothing to do at best. I've been manhandled by the eejits they walk ahead of the bands - I've no blinkers as to the motivations of many involved, but - parity of esteem and all that - if they really want to do this, and it's undoubtedly part of their cultural heritage, then they should be let knock themselves out - even in Dublin if that's what floats their boat. Ulster-Scots on the other hand... Now that's taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

And people wonder why there's riots? I mean come on, this is just utter provocation.

Imagine what would happen if the Ancient Order of Hibernians had a spectacle like that outside an Anglican Church in NI singing anti-British songs - what do you think the reaction would be?

It's just terrible. I mean communities who've been there a lot longer than those Ulster-Scots are being told to "go home". Who the fudge do they think they are? I wonder who should be telling who to "go home"? It's utterly pathetic.

The Orange Order are one of the main catalysts for tensions in NI, as ever. Hope they get banned. They talk about improving intercommunal relations, etc.., but how are the Orange Order helping that?

You don't see any exclusively Catholic bands marching around behaving like that. Why can't Catholics and Protestants just get along as they do in the Republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭john why

This is the shower that lament for the days when it was Fenian furniture you used on a 12th bonfire and not pallets.
    The dark days of 69 are gone they just cant handle that.

It's not like it's a surprise when it comes around each year though - if you don't (.......)the piss.

Nobody is saying they can't march. The problem is marching in nationalist areas and deliberate provocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Hoped this would be about fruit.

LOL. But I suppose it's actually about fruit and nuts. The latter being those tossers who parade around areas where they aren't wanted, wearing bowler hats and strange sashes, playing with their flutes while they bang big drums, and then go home and kick the shit out of the wife if she hasn't the tea and sandwiches ready.:D:D

In other words, those who are superior to the rest of us.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Scum of the earth, pure and simple. I feel really sorry for everyone that has to put up with their ****e.

How does it make sense to play the famine song? Hardly the brightest bunch are they?

El Siglo wrote: »
    Are you serious? So if you don't like it, tough? Well, that's a great mentality to subscribe to. However, if you don't like it you are allowed to air your displeasure, that's free speech and freedom of expression, the same free freedoms that allow these scum to parade around the place. So no, I don't like it and shouldn't have to be forced to leave. Would you tell the people in Ardoyne the same? Why should the hegemony of one group force the rest of us into acquiescence.

Like I say - no-one is forcing you to stay or leave. Likewise no-one is stopping you 'air your displeasure'. Likewise I'm free to point out that you're whinging about the lack of atmosphere on a holiday that you don't actually subscribe to.

'Hegemony'? How's that impacting on you now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Pedant wrote: »

You don't see any exclusively Catholic bands marching around behaving like that. Why can't Catholics and Protestants just get along as they do in the Republic?

:rolleyes: give me a break, hardly any prods left in the republic..they were driven out

Nobody is saying they can't march. The problem is marching in nationalist areas and deliberate provocation.

Provocation is usually a two-way affair. They can circle the church till the cows come home as far as I'm concerned - they just look like plonkers.

fryup wrote: »
    :rolleyes: give me a break, hardly any prods left in the republic..they were driven out

Half my family beg to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

john why wrote: »
    The dark days of 69 are gone they just cant handle that.

Somehow or other, I just can't see many of those dinosaurs every having been into 69. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Or any other kind of fancy fcuking. Maybe that's the real reason they are the joyless, bitter, begrudging creeps they are.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

fryup wrote: »

84% are Catholic. The rest are Protestants, other religious denominations or atheist/agnostic. Protestants are no treated badly at all by Catholics in the Republic or vice-versa. There is never confrontation, it isn't even an issue.

Provocation is usually a two-way affair. They can circle the church till the cows come home as far as I'm concerned - they just look like plonkers.

So fuck everybody, it doesn't bother you. Lovely.

How does it make sense to play the famine song? Hardly the brightest bunch are they?

"the famine song" brings them upto the 1840's. Thats progress.

So fuck everybody, it doesn't bother you. Lovely.

How's it bothering you then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I guess Michael really did know what he was doing all those years ago.

Advertisement