Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Customer Service Stories (Employee Side)

• 09-09-2015 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I've been screamed at because of a customer's mistake where they refused to take responsibility and not only did she hold up other customers in the queue, she shouted multiple times that I/the company had 'stolen' money from her. This was said in front of other customers (some regulars) and afterwards I thought about how it could negatively affect our reputation. Isn't that slandour? She threatened to call the Gardai over the issue and I assured her there was no need although I couldn't see how they could help.

Of course this kind of behaviour is going to happen in retail/customer service..it's inevitable but it doesn't make it any easier to deal with!

I wonder if anyone else has advice on having patience with difficult customers while somehow remaining professional?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

This is probably more suited to Work Problems. Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I worked in a large electronic retailer. I remember a customer listing of a list of things they wanted to do but then proceeded to ignore my suggestion because "what do I know, I'm only in it for commission", anyway laptop they got was typical 299 laptop. Customer came in 2 or 3 days later screaming the "not suitable for use" rubbish that no doubt they heard on here. I had wrote on the receipt what I had suggested, what the customer said and what the customer wanted to use it for. They called me and my manager 2 pr1cks, so we politely told her to jog on. Got a letter from the solicitor soon afterwards. We sent him all the info. Never heard anything after it. I always felt if the customer treated me with respect I would go above and beyond to help, if they came in kicking and screaming then it was very hard to even acknowledge them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    I worked in a large electronic retailer. I remember a customer listing of a list of things they wanted to do but then proceeded to ignore my suggestion because "what do I know, I'm only in it for commission", anyway laptop they got was typical 299 laptop. Customer came in 2 or 3 days later screaming the "not suitable for use" rubbish that no doubt they heard on here. I had wrote on the receipt what I had suggested, what the customer said and what the customer wanted to use it for. They called me and my manager 2 pr1cks, so we politely told her to jog on. Got a letter from the solicitor soon afterwards. We sent him all the info. Never heard anything after it. I always felt if the customer treated me with respect I would go above and beyond to help, if they came in kicking and screaming then it was very hard to even acknowledge them

Whatever about that customer and their attitude, its a bit worrying to read you describe them quoting the not suitable for use as "rubbish". In what way is quoting current consumer law rubbish? Its certainly what I would be doing if i wasnt happy with a product or service and to be honest you sound like the exact type of worker that I dont like- presuming that customers arent knowledgeable about their rights and entitlements. Im not a fan of the nightmare customer who bawls people out of it but equally I dislike workers who think customers are stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Whatever about that customer and their attitude, its a bit worrying to read you describe them quoting the not suitable for use as "rubbish". In what way is quoting current consumer law rubbish? Its certainly what I would be doing if i wasnt happy with a product or service and to be honest you sound like the exact type of worker that I dont like- presuming that customers arent knowledgeable about their rights and entitlements. Im not a fan of the nightmare customer who bawls people out of it but equally I dislike workers who think customers are stupid.

Well how else would you describe someone ignoring said advice and then throwing a tantrum after said ignored advice comes home to roost?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If you are informed a laptop is not suitable to your stated requirements, buy it, and then complain it's not suitable to your stated requirements then it has nothing to do with consumer law and all to do with the fact you bought a product that you had been told would not be suitable which leaves you no comeback on the matter of suitability.

As to OP; the chance the store would win a lawsuit over the matter is rather slim esp. as the lawsuit would most likely cause more negative press then one ranting customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Nody wrote: »
    If you are informed a laptop is not suitable to your stated requirements, buy it, and then complain it's not suitable to your stated requirements then it has nothing to do with consumer law and all to do with the fact you bought a product that you had been told would not be suitable which leaves you no comeback on the matter of suitability.

As to OP; the chance the store would win a lawsuit over the matter is rather slim esp. as the lawsuit would most likely cause more negative press then one ranting customer.
    "I just wanted to play a few tapes, and that slick snake oil saleman sold me a laptop P.C, am I saying that right" (other end of the spectrum but I guess similar to the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

You just chose what you wanted to read .... I'm very aware of consumer law, and I fully agree with it. It's when people decide to not take advice and then try throwing consumer law when they don't fully understand it, that i deem as rubbish. Have you ever worked in retail? Are you one of these people that believes those who work in it are idiots that can't get a "proper job" and therefore shouldn't be respected? If so you're as bad as them retail staff that don't care about or think their customers are stupid.

Personally I treated everybody equally, whether they were spending €10 or €5000. The company I worked for, the salesperson would also deal with problems, complaints etc. This actually discouraged me from recomending the "comission makers" and encouraged me to recommend whatever was suited to the customer, if I made comission so be it, but I knew if that customer left with a good taste in their mouth they would return and most did, asking for me by name. I remember actually getting a kick out of people thanking me for my help. Saying that I woudn't bend over and I would disagree with customers because contrary to belief, the customer isn't always right. But this actually showed that I'm not a robot regurgatating what the "big nasty corporations" want you to say.

Would I go back to work in retail?? I don't think so being honest. Not all but so many people treat you like dirt and think they can walk all over you.

Advertisement