Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Credit where it's due

Options
  • 04-06-2008 3:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭

Went to Advance on the Naas Road/Kylemore Road last Friday. My braking system was full of air and also needed a few adjustments. One of their guys spent 30 mins at it. I go to pay when I was finished and was told 'I was grand'. Have to say anytime I go to that particular branch of Advance I find them fantastic and sound. Not sure if it's cos they're attatched to the advance head office..

Anyways kudos to those guys, there's enough garage bashing on here so just wanted to put forward a bit of credit for a change

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Good to read some positive feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

just to back that up a little....

my front driverside parking light went on my passat and I couldn't get my hand in to change it so I went to a VW dealer who told me that I'd have to book the car into the garage to have it changed.

I said... "No thanks!"
    Headed up to my local advanced pitstop where the guys had it changed in about 2 mins and it only cost me €2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Another one.....

Went to my local bmw dealer, Conlons of Rathangan, to order some parts for a 5 series I used to have (just a few clips, less than €10). I mentioned that I wanted a bmw to standard trailer wiring adapter plug. The Parts guy handed me one FOC. Said not to worry about the price. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Are you saying he bled your brakes for free?

Will need tyres in September when I'm back in Dublin, must look these guys up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

There'll be a queue of cars outside looking for free services now Onkle, nice one! :p:p

Seriously though, thanks for sharing that. It'd be nice if this turned into a "garages are nice sometimes" thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Good to here theres still decent people in the trade...

There's plenty decent people in every trade in fairness, it's just finding them is the hard part.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

I have had a few experiences with advance in the past, most of them not very good. My company supply fleet vehicles and Advance are recommeded for tyres/bulbs etc. The trouble I found is that if you are just getting a replacement bulb/headlight, or any other minor item, they seem to barely acknowledge you (even when you arrange a time to come in). If however you want a service or 4 new tyres, they will have you sorted in no time. Its like when they see a fleet/lease car they rub their hands together as they know the driver is not paying out of his/her pocket and will generally agree to anything. The Head Office was our local branch at one point and was not great at the time. The Glasnevin branch was always good and so I generally got tyres etc from them as they took the time to do the smaller, less profitable things initially.

The missus has also dropped her car into a Ford Main Dealer this morning and was called to say she needed x,y,z done in addition to a general service and this would cost an extra €120. She was pressurised a bit on the phone to give the ok, but called me first. I called around a few other Main Dealers who were very helpful and spoke to a mechanic in one. He said that one of the extras that "needed to be fixed" was already included in the service price and the other major item that "needed attention" is generally not needed until about 40kms. ( her car has about 12000 kms). I assumed something was wrong and quizzed the garage over this. After speaking with the rude girl on the service desk who insisted these were totally necessary, she sent me through to one of the mechanics, who after the discussion basically said they weren't really needed. I asked if there was a fault/leak etc but he just said they like to upsell.

The only reason we used this garage was for convenience however the cost of the basic service is about €240. I thought this was steep as all other Dublin Dealers are about €180-€200. They confirmed that nothing extra was carried out in addition to the service.

Am I just being a bit bitter here. I dont mind paying for any service that is carried out honestly and professionally, but I'd imagine most people would just say to the garage...."ok, do it. whatever is needed". I will not mention the garage obviously, but it is not the first time this has happened
    :confused::confused::confused:

I will not mention the garage obviously

Why not?

Garages that perform positively deserve public praise here, equally so poorly run businesses need to be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

Well, I would like to see some sort of trend gathering rather than slating something because I alone have had problems. I try to be impartial and to think, "he maybe I'm being harsh?....is it fair for me to slate someone's business and give it bad rep just because I saw the red mist today?". I suppose the point was made to see if any other posters have had similar problems with Ford Main Dealers in Dublin. If this is the case, I think the garage should be named at that point....???

• Advertisement
Advertisement