Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car Insurance at 27 Years Old and Provisional

• 21-05-2008 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi Folks,

Well, I recently arrived to the country, and Im going to get my provisional driver license next week. I'm 27 years old and I have my "Argentinian" full driver license, since I have 17.
    Now Im willing to buy a Subaru Impreza WRX 2.0 or something like that, 1997.. 1996.. and no waste more than 5000€.
    I have a lot of questions about the insurance, but here is the first more important:
    1. Do they insurance a car like this, when Im 27 but the car is 2.0cc engine?.
    2. How much do you think would be the charge of an insurance for me?.
    3. Whats your recommendation?.

Thanks for all the replies, and keep in touch ;).
    Andres.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I doubt you'll get insurance on a WRX with a provisional, but check around some of the online sites, Quinn Direct, 123.ie, insure.ie and brittoninsurance.com are a few worht checking.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

You'll probably need to ring around. The online quotes usually require that you are resident and working in Ireland for the past 3 years. e.g.

http://www.insure.ie/default.rad?AppID=insureie&WSID=Motor_Assumptions&affid=insureie&InsureSection=motor&plid=insureie

I'm just guessing but I'd imagine if you do get a quote it'll be at least a couple of thousand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Based on your given details if you get insurance under 4k your are lucky,

At least 2-3k, maybe even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭muddle84

http://www.xsdirect.iethey'll insure anyone on anythin for very little

the only catch is theres a €4000 compulsory excess which is quite a big catch!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 andresmalo

wow muddle84 they are the cheapest on earth.. it would cost me half of others.. I will ring them just to be sure but.. brilliant.. thanks a lot!.

• Advertisement

yes they are really cheap!!! but don't forget about the €4000 compulsory excess which means if you have a claim you must pay the first €4000 of that claim!!!!!

andresmalo wrote: »
    wow muddle84 they are the cheapest on earth.. it would cost me half of others.. I will ring them just to be sure but.. brilliant.. thanks a lot!.

Shop around, that just quoted me almost double what axa are charging me.

Sorry bud, which one is axa?

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Shop around, that just quoted me almost double what axa are charging me.

thats crazy!!! what you drive or how old are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Andres,

You should check with the Motor Tax Office to see if you can exchange your Argentinian licence for an Irish one. It might be the case that you will not have to take the test.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

and get insurance of around a thousand

we should really be facilitating people better in this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

There quoting me 300 quid more than I'm paying already ;)

esel wrote: »
    Andres,

You should check with the Motor Tax Office to see if you can exchange your Argentinian licence for an Irish one. It might be the case that you will not have to take the test.

esel,
    Unfortunetly Argentina is excluded from the list of allowed countrys that can exchange their full driver license for the the Irish one, anyway thanks for the info :)

I'm looking now a Peugeot 106, or a Citroen Saxo VTR 1.4.. instead of the scooby :( big change but.. is all that I can get until I get my full driver license here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

andresmalo wrote: »
    esel,
    Unfortunetly Argentina is excluded from the list of allowed countrys that can exchange their full driver license for the the Irish one, anyway thanks for the info :)

I'm looking now a Peugeot 106, or a Citroen Saxo VTR 1.4.. instead of the scooby :( big change but.. is all that I can get until I get my full driver license here.

Good. Nobody should be allowed drive anthing like a scooby with a prov.

Question Guys

I pass my driver theory test, and now I have my provisional driver license. Im from Argentina as you know and I have my Argentinian driverl license as well. I insured my car under my irish provisional driver license but.. Im wondering if I drive my car "ALONE" and the garda stops me, if I show them my Argentinian driver license what should they say?, I mean.. I can drive with my Argentinian driver license by law for one year since I arrive to Ireland, so.. I supposed to be "legally" driving?.

Thanks a lot.

Advertisement