Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tofurkey in Dublin

• 19-07-2012 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭

I dropped into the wonderful Supervalu in Churchtown today (it's not like other Supervalus!) and spotted some Tofurkey products.

Slices and "Polish" sausages were on offer. I've only tasted the "oven roasted" slices so far and they were a bit bland but I know they'd taste better in a sandwich. A chunky 156gm pack of slices is €3.86 and a pack of 4 big sausages weighing 397gm is €5.51

Not cheap but certainly not prohibitive either.

Will report back after further testing!

http://www.tofurky.com/index.html

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Was that the price when on offer?!

Must give these a try thanks. Wonder do other supervalus have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Was that the price when on offer?!

Must give these a try thanks. Wonder do other supervalus have it.

No that was just the shelf price, I don't expect them to be on offer anytime soon.

the Churchtown SV is a rather special place! Fantastic selection of foods in every department and even a Kosher section which stocks vegetarian food no other SV would even be aware of. The tofurkey was stocked besdie these kosher products, they'd have a few more items I've never seen anywhere else as well and of course Tivall and a few other 'known' brands.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh i must have misunderstood, I thought you said they were on offer in the OP, but you just meant available I take it, heh.
    I hope to visit this haven some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

best supervalu.... in fact best shop around - have some in the fridge to try too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Yeah, the SuperValu in Churchtown is good spot, alright! I haven't seen the Tofurky stuff there, but I'll check it out the next time I'm threre. The "Gourmet Bank" place a few doors down isn't bad, either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

tried my tofurkey hot dogs last night - they were pretty good :D possibly the best "hot dogs" I've ever had - mind you they aren't cheap so they'd want to be lol

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I dropped into the wonderful Supervalu in Churchtown today (it's not like other Supervalus!) and spotted some Tofurkey products.

Slices and "Polish" sausages were on offer. I've only tasted the "oven roasted" slices so far and they were a bit bland but I know they'd taste better in a sandwich. A chunky 156gm pack of slices is €3.86 and a pack of 4 big sausages weighing 397gm is €5.51

Not cheap but certainly not prohibitive either.

Will report back after further testing!

http://www.tofurky.com/index.html

Thanks, will pop in this weekend and have a look!

I've since tried the 'hot dogs' and the peppered slices and I have to say all the products seem to have an aftertaste that I just don't like. Pity. I really wanted to like them! The peppered slices were about the best because the pepper hid the aftertaste. :D

We thought the kielbasa and 'roast beef' deli slices had a powdered garlic aftertaste, but everything else was pretty good (also tried the hickory smoked turkey, peppered slices, turkey slices and italian sausage).

I tried the Italian sausage. I liked them, the texture is better than Vegideli (Who I feel have gone down hill recently).
    They were too pricey for what they are though.
    So I don't think I would buy them again.

• Advertisement

Sadly, Tofurkey in Churchtown is no more - I was in Supervalu twice since Christmas, and they didn't have it, and gave them a ring yesterday, their supplier can't get it any more.

Sadly, Tofurkey in Churchtown is no more - I was in Supervalu twice since Christmas, and they didn't have it, and gave them a ring yesterday, their supplier can't get it any more.

The Asia Market in Drury Street have a frozen roast half chicken type thing. It's not bad. When you go in the entrance head straight for the freezer at the very back.
    On another note I haven't seen the incredible satay sticks in there in a while. Marvelous yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

The Asia Market in Drury Street have a frozen roast half chicken type thing. It's not bad. When you go in the entrance head straight for the freezer at the very back.
    On another note I haven't seen the incredible satay sticks in there in a while. Marvelous yokes.

Tell me more about these (and possibly other!) frozen veggie foods in the Asia Market. I'm often in there, but the lack of English on many products steers me away from looking around. Do the products you mention have any English on them? Can you describe them a little? ...and I haven't a clue what satay sticks are! Looking forward to hearing more :D

Also - any idea if these products are also suitable for vegans?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

never even saw this tofurkey thread till now and it's too late :(

nourish also seem to have stopped stocking those lovely mixed cocktail sausages, I asked about ordering them in before and they tried but couldn't.
    Tell me more about these (and possibly other!) frozen veggie foods in the Asia Market. I'm often in there, but the lack of English on many products steers me away from looking around. Do the products you mention have any English on them? Can you describe them a little? ...and I haven't a clue what satay sticks are! Looking forward to hearing more :D

Also - any idea if these products are also suitable for vegans?

There was a thread here. Someone says there that the products are mostly vegan, I've no idea tbh though coz I never checked that. In my experience the products in asia market do often have english on them, you might have to look hard for it though. The skewers are often out of stock there or sometimes hiding at the back mixed up with the other veggie stuff. The skewers are amazin imo. All the stuff is in the freezer doors at the back over to the right.

I tried that before and wasn't too impressed, it was a bit like sweet, chewy bread. I'd prefer an ould can of mock duck to be honest! Or the vegi deli chicken pieces, they're great.

Must have a look for the satay sticks next time I'm in though.

Tell me more about these (and possibly other!) frozen veggie foods in the Asia Market. I'm often in there, but the lack of English on many products steers me away from looking around.

I have no idea if they're vegan but as it's basically gluten I imagine it's ok. they are all clearly labelled vegetarian satay/spare ribs/mutton/fish etc. The fish doesn't appeal to me on any level and I believe someone here said they were vile!

Once you're in the shop walk straight down to the upright freezers and they tend to be on the bottom two shelves.

I tried that before and wasn't too impressed, it was a bit like sweet, chewy bread.
    You're not wrong! I suppose it's the wheat gluten that gives it taht texture. Ok with beans in sauce of some other other sauce though.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

I have no idea if they're vegan but as it's basically gluten I imagine it's ok. they are all clearly labelled vegetarian satay/spare ribs/mutton/fish etc. The fish doesn't appeal to me on any level and I believe someone here said they were vile!

Once you're in the shop walk straight down to the upright freezers and they tend to be on the bottom two shelves.

I bought the 'chicken' and cooked it the other week. Was actually freaked out by how chickeny it was (I checked; I definitely hadn't bought chicken by mistake!). It browns like chicken, tastes like it, and has a similar texture. This really put me off! Won't be buying again, too freaked out by the sensation of eating actual meat (which I know is the point but eugh!).

holding wrote: »
    I bought the 'chicken' and cooked it the other week. Was actually freaked out by how chickeny it was

I'd have to say "sweet chewy bread" is a more accurate description!

A few years ago in New York I chanced a Chinese take away (with formica topped tables , plastic chairs) that said it did fake chicken etc on its menu. It was so Chicken-like it was absurd. I mean really, I couldn't help thinking they misheard the Irish accent. I checked my receipt and confirmed it was the 'fake' meat I got. A lot of the fake meats in the US, particularly Asian ones, are from old traditional recipies. Quite common in NY anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

I haven't actually tasted chicken in more than 13 years so will bow to your judgement slaphead :D

• Advertisement

holding wrote: »
    I haven't actually tasted chicken in more than 13 years so will bow to your judgement slaphead :D

For me it's over 30 years. It's a bit like riding a bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

I was excited to learn that Tofurkey products were being sold in Ireland only to find out it was a temporary thing. Hopefully they'll make a return to local shops since they taste much better and prefer tofu over Quorn IMHO.

In San Francisco, Tofurkey products (lunch meat, hot dogs, frozen "turkeys") are available in most supermarkets. The Italian Deli Slices (thinly sliced) were my favorite by far. The pepperoni were also a great product for baking pizzas at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 newstemp

Some Tofurky products are currently in Ireland, a local health food store, online at PlantGoodness 24 etc. Their Deli slices are the best that I have tried, and there are quite a variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Azrel

Nourish in Omni Santry have the hotdogs and 1 or 2 other Tofurky products.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 IndigoBlue

Nourish in Liffey Street and Wicklow Street now have a good range of the Tofurky products, including a lovely stuffed roast that we had for Christmas dinner :D

Advertisement