Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Antarctica: Natural Feature or ???

Options
  • 02-05-2012 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Browsing on Google Earth, I noticed this "Feature" on the antarctic landscape.

I am wondering what the CT community thinks on this. is this simply a natural feature, or could it be something more ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Where water was flowing out the bottom of a Glacier or ice field. Nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Browsing on google earth? I envy you!

Dunno, would need to see the actual image, also, it looks like something is there that shouldn't be there, an edit like

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Ninjamonkey

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Where water was flowing out the bottom of a Glacier or ice field. Nothing more.

Thank you, yes, I would be of mixed opinion, I originally thought the same, but the more I looked at it, and examined the surrounding area, it just seems like it does not match the local surrounding. I am undecided. Logic tells me to believe that this is a wholly natural feature, but thats why I came to the CT community, I would like a peer review, and get comments from others who also would have a good input.

Many thanks for the input..

kryogen wrote: »
    Browsing on google earth? I envy you!

Dunno, would need to see the actual image, also, it looks like something is there that shouldn't be there, an edit like

Kryogen, thanks for your comments, I can assure you it is no edit, and you can verify yourself independently. it is taken directly from Google Earth, co ordinates are

66.36.12.83 S
    99.43.11.50 E
    Elev 508Ft

I originally thought what a cool feature, then as a examined it against the surroundings, it seemed to look out of place. - Dont get me wrong, I am not the first to find this, I just happened to notice it when browsing.

I would invite you to please verify yourself, by downloading google earth, if you do not already have it, and browse to the coordinates listed above.

Obviously I have no access to the google world servers, and the authenticity is a given, so that takes care of the edit ...

As for what it is. My own personal jury is still out :)

Thanks for your comment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Am I missing something with those coordinates ? Takes me to Caloocan City, Philippines on Google Earth.

• Advertisement

Duiske wrote: »
    Am I missing something with those coordinates ? Takes me to Caloocan City, Philippines on Google Earth.

Actually, probably my bad , they are DMS, not decimal shouldhave specified.

I have actually screen captured, including coordinates, and attached, so you can check out yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

wow what is that. its like a man made cave type thing. I didn't look at your coordinates but what is near by? just snow? How far away from coast is it. Most of the man made stuff is in the centre of Antarctica. Saw this on frozen planet. They're tryin to dig into this fresh water lake that has been cut off for thousands of years. Hope they're prepared for what they find.

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    wow what is that. its like a man made cave type thing. I didn't look at your coordinates but what is near by? just snow? How far away from coast is it. Most of the man made stuff is in the centre of Antarctica. Saw this on frozen planet. They're tryin to dig into this fresh water lake that has been cut off for thousands of years. Hope they're prepared for what they find.

Its actually N/NE , I have attached a zoome out pic, and circled the location

Its actually N/NE , I have attached a zoome out pic, and circled the location
    What do you think it is?

What do you think it is?

Well my first thought was a cool natural feature. However the more i looked at it, it seemed to be out of place with its surroundings. it does not appear to match the color or texture of the surrounding terrain. Admitedly this is hard to determine from a photo, but it does seem to look out of place.

That made we wonder is it artificial, and if so who made it ?

what do I think it is .. to be honest, I havent got a clue right now, and I still havent made up my mind. Thats why i was hoping a peer review on CT may throw up some interesting ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

If this was unnatural, surely Google would know about it. Why would they upload the data when it would have been far easier to suppress it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

RoboClam wrote: »
    If this was unnatural, surely Google would know about it. Why would they upload the data when it would have been far easier to suppress it?

Would google have checked every square foot of earth when the uploaded the data/images? If they did that would be some work force?

I don't know it seems unusual to me also. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

There's another one near it, if you move the streetview icon you'll see it

It's a volcanic crater.

It's a volcanic crater.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Google Co-ords are -66.603509,99.71998

Looks like any one of the 100 odd looking featues around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Would that be in the Neuschwabenland region?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

This is completely natural, and some are red which must be even stranger looking on google earth
    http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2009/04/ancient-frozen-ecosystem-produces-blood-red-ice-flows.ars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Would that be in the Neuschwabenland region?
    No.

Here's another one, in the same area
    e255db5aeef3.jpg

Best explanation I've seen is that they are melt pools, which look like this close up:

IMG_5005.jpg

Bunger_001.png
    If you look north where the mountains are is the Bunger Hills area, water looks very black, and even along the coast

• Advertisement

Thanks Jeboa,

I think this is case closed. - 100% proof here, that its a natural phenomenon. I didnt see the others, but good find.

Its incredible the places on earth that we never actually get to see, its kinda strange how we spend billions of dollars sending probes to other planets, while there is so much of our own unexplored ...

Anyway, thanks again to the CT community, and I think we can sefely put this one to bed !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

I've seen these images before. Inner/hollow Earth believers will tell you that is one of two entrances. Apparently is several miles in diameter. You can measure using Google Earth. :)

Advertisement