Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Letters coming in for interviews & informal offers. Post here! Mod note 1st post.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

Received emails yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Eenie

fiinch wrote: »
    you can check to see when UCD have sent out their interview offers here guys, best of luck! http://www.ucd.ie/registry/admissions/mynews.html
    Im pretty sure i clicked on the 'thank' link, but thought I'd make sure, glad I did. Thanx for that, now I have another thing to check compulsively along wit my email!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just got this email from Tallaght.
    Hi xxxxx,

The college will be sending invitations to applicants this week. As I understand it the Dept of Humanities are short-listing Social Care applicants this year.

If you do not receive an invitation to interview this week it may mean you have not been shortlisted. If you then need clarification please contact the Dept – details below.

http://www.it-tallaght.ie/humanities

Hope this helps, good luck with it and sorry about the delay.

Best

Gareth

Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Hey,

Just wondering has anyone heard from Maynooth re Youth and Community course?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

did nt get into Maynooth. they suggested that i do the access course. disappointed with the news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Eenie

john 08 wrote: »
    did nt get into Maynooth. they suggested that i do the access course. disappointed with the news.
    Sorry to hear that John 08, I know ya prolly don't wanna hear this, but there must be something out there that's a better fit for you. I empathise tho, I didn't get 4 of the 7 courses I applied for this yr, but am tryin to take a philosophical approach to it all. Let's see how calm I am if I get a no for my first preference! What's for ya won't go by ya

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

It is gutting not to get accepted but them telling you to do the access course is a good thing. They are telling you what to do to get a place next year! And when you do start the degree course, the access course will have you prepared for the work! I am saying this as someone who has been there, done that and just finished 3rd year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dougiex06

I have an interview for Science in Maynooth tomorrow. Fairly nervous, I'm just here going over the course. It was a late application but hopefully they wont hold it against me. Presume it will just be general mature student questions.

*about me
    *why i want to do the course
    *what do i want to get out of it
    *my financial situation
    *how I'll cope with the young ones

Has anyone heard of any curveball questions they've thrown out or any advice?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

I know its probably not what you want to hear right now John, but when I applied the first time for a post grad diploma with Maynooth they suggested I do the level 7 cert first. So I did and the following year when I applied for the H.Dip again they remembered me and I was pretty much waved through. I know its a adding a year to your studies which is a sickener but at least it shows they see your potential. Doing the access course will really prepare you for the degree and, like Larianne says, it will put you that much ahead of the game when you do get onto the degree.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

thanx for the messages. i still have one more college left to hear back from, unfortunately i wont hear back from them till the 4th of july.
    this is nt a good time to be just off the ciggs, ha :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

Hey everyone! Its about two & half weeks since I heard from DIT business school secretary. I've read and re-read the same e-mail decipher what "a few" weeks might mean! :) Do you think it would be ok to email her again, or maybe should I consider e-mailing the head of the course??

Thanks - freaking out now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

ghpeople wrote: »
    Hey everyone! Its about two & half weeks since I heard from DIT business school secretary. I've read and re-read the same e-mail decipher what "a few" weeks might mean! :) Do you think it would be ok to email her again, or maybe should I consider e-mailing the head of the course??

Thanks - freaking out now :)

The best bet is to give admissions a call. I found them quite helpful. I am not sure if it applies to the School of Business, however, I was advised that as soon as decisions are made the head of school provides a list to admissions - in turn, admissions contact candidates by e-mail. For example, the School of Law decisions were e-mailed out at the end of last week.
    Undergraduate Admissions

Address: DIT Admissions Office, 143 - 149 Lower Rathmines Road, Rathmines, Dublin 6
    Opening Hours: Monday to Friday, 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm.
    Staff: Pamela Butler, Matthew Lysaght, Helen Shine
    Main Line: +353 1 402 3445
    Advanced Entry: +353 1 402 3302
    Fax: +353 1 402 3392
    General Email Enquiries: admissions@dit.ie
    Advanced Entry Email Enquiries: advancedentry@dit.ie
    Parttime Email Enquiries: parttime@dit.ie

rc_irl wrote: »
    The best bet is to give admissions a call. I found them quite helpful. I am not sure if it applies to the School of Business, however, I was advised that as soon as decisions are made the head of school provides a list to admissions - in turn, admissions contact candidates by e-mail. For example, the School of Law decisions were e-mailed out at the end of last week.

Thanks a mill :) Will do tomorrow... Hopefully the can end the suspense! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

ghpeople wrote: »
    Thanks a mill :) Will do tomorrow... Hopefully the can end the suspense! :D

The waiting is the worst. That last long weekend was a killer man!

Good luck; hope all goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brennie16

anybody hear from DIT on a engineering course yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AlfieBear

auskid wrote: »
    no, no interviews for social science i think they just go on the msap and personal statement. bit of a nightmare having to wait till july nail biting away.

hi auskid,

ring the admissions office in ucc 021 4902272. they can tell you 'unofficially' if you have been given a place. cao letters are being sent out on the 4th july, we should receive them on the 5th.

best of luck! :)

Hey! Rang DIT for business this week and got nowhere. Sent an email to secretary and she said external examiners were in so no interview decisions had been yet. So it might be the same for your course. I'm thinking we'll have to hear by next week in time for interviews and cao?? :) Fingers crossed tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Hey so i got accepted for marketing in DIT so win. Got a email there2-3 days ago.

Interview was much more causal compared to DCU marketing.

DCU i got grilled. Tougher interview. Much more formal then i was expecting.
    Should've of been more prepared for DCU but happy i got DIT.

One thing in the interview i noticed was they pretended they knew what place i picked on the CAO.
    As far as they should be concerned what ever interview your at currently is 1st place on your CAO. I was asked 3 times where i placed marketing DIT.
    They asked it in a certain way that made it seem like they already knew but just wanted you to reconfirm.

I was also asked if i had anything holding me back like big loans, Interest in travelling, Kids, anything that might make me think of dropping out or that would prevent me from focusing on college.

Hey so i got accepted for marketing in DIT so win. Got a email there2-3 days ago.

One thing in the interview i noticed was they pretended they knew what place i picked on the CAO.
    As far as they should be concerned what ever interview your at currently is 1st place on your CAO. I was asked 3 times where i placed marketing DIT.
    They asked it in a certain way that made it seem like they already knew but just wanted you to reconfirm.

I was also asked if i had anything holding me back like big loans, Interest in travelling, Kids, anything that might make me think of dropping out or that would prevent me from focusing on college.
    Well done! DIT marketing is my 1st choice, but I applied late so I'm hoping to hear this week if there will be interviews!

Did you know if there were many interviewing on the same day as you? I'm hoping I hear soon but when its going so late I'm not too hopeful... Who interviewed you if you don't mind me askin?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

yeah i had my interview during the DIT summer exams, seemed liked there was a few before me and after for various course. Head of the course and something like a mature student welfare person interviewed me, she was quiet nice.

I couldn't tell you if its too late or not, DIT seem to be a fair bit slower with stuff like this compared to DCU and NCI. Just incase though i would have a back up of a PLC for september or something just to say you have tried and liked going back to college, it is something that they seem to appreciate.

• Advertisement

They do know where your course is placed. I emailed the CAO a while back to ask this. See here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77909706&postcount=80

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭anfield bound

Larianne wrote: »
    They do know where your course is placed. I emailed the CAO a while back to ask this. See here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77909706&postcount=80

I was talking to a guy from a certain HEI to schedule an interview and he made it abundantly clear that he had a copy of my CAO choices in front of him. "So how did it go at Trinity?" and "Have you heard back from UCD yet?" were the first subtle clues, followed up with "Ah, History and Political Science, now THERE'S a course I'd love to do...any luck with that?"
    I wasn't overly surprised that they knew my choices, but I was stunned that this person was so casual about me knowing they knew!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 thebutlerdidit

I had interview with the head of section & another member of staff at DKiT last Thursday, 14th. I felt it went well & engaged well with both. I hope I'm what they are looking for in a candidate - course was DK650, HC in Culinary arts btw.

Going into DIT tomorrow afternoon for an interview for DT416 which was my 1st choice, so fingers crossed

Just received email this evening requesting my attendance at interview on the 27th June for DT432A

It's a relief to get the opportunity to present myself for these interviews & hope I am what these institutions are looking for. This means a lot to me personally and have made some drastic changes in my & my families lives to be able to return to education. Many sacrifices have been made which can hopefully be repaid by having a successful time in college

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭auskid

AlfieBear wrote: »
    hi auskid,

ring the admissions office in ucc 021 4902272. they can tell you 'unofficially' if you have been given a place. cao letters are being sent out on the 4th july, we should receive them on the 5th.

best of luck! :)

Thanks for the tip alfie bear ,WOOHOO I TOO GOT ACCEPTED FIRST CHOICE SOCIAL SCIENCE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

That_Guy wrote: »
    Just got this email from Tallaght.

Fingers crossed.

Yea Tallaght are ALWAYS so late with interviews. I have one today. I am not entirely sure why, I deferred from last year, after I had already started the course. So am not sure what way to approach the interview or wha!!! Should be interesting. I shall report back.

I was talking to a guy from a certain HEI to schedule an interview and he made it abundantly clear that he had a copy of my CAO choices in front of him. "So how did it go at Trinity?" and "Have you heard back from UCD yet?" were the first subtle clues, followed up with "Ah, History and Political Science, now THERE'S a course I'd love to do...any luck with that?"
    I wasn't overly surprised that they knew my choices, but I was stunned that this person was so casual about me knowing they knew!

Yea they know exactly where you placed them. I could see a copy of my CAO course list in the hand of my interviewer last year so it was obvious as heck. I didn't like it tbh, WHERE you placed them on the list should be of no relevance to them. To them it should be they were your first choice, regardless of where or why you actually placed them on the list. I mean we have hundreds of reasons why the list is in the order it is.

Larrianne did you get any feedback from the CAO when you emailed them on this issue?

Got offered a place from an unexpected phone interview today for DIT business & management and was told I'd probably will get offer for 1st choice once I get speak to dept head in the next few days!! So have my second choice if it doesn't come through! Sooooo relieved.... Yipeeeeeee :D

hdowney wrote: »
    Larianne did you get any feedback from the CAO when you emailed them on this issue?

Just what I copy and pasted in the post linked above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Just what I copy and pasted in the post linked above.

So a miserable point of meh then :(

Well today was..... odd. I really felt that I didn't have a place at all. Like I was always of the opinion that if you deferred your place was there for you the following year, after all you deferred a place you had been offered. But today in my interview I felt like I was very much back in the pool with the rest of the mature students. Hmm. We will see come my birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AlfieBear

auskid wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip alfie bear ,WOOHOO I TOO GOT ACCEPTED FIRST CHOICE SOCIAL SCIENCE

Congrats Auskid! I got accepted in Social Science also (first choice too!). Really looking forward to it now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 brennie16

brennie16 wrote: »
    anybody hear from DIT on a engineering course yet?

just got an email and got offered a place in DIT for level 7 and level 8 so happy out.....:)

Advertisement