Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

Areas to avoid in D15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I live in coolmine and it is generally really safe and quiet and its extremely settled. i personally wouldnt go near waterville and st mochtas because of the high proportion of people renting. no community spirit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Another...born in D15 and lived there most of my life. Rented for a while in Foxrock/Carrickmines area and saw equally as much trouble at night with youths hanging around etc...
    These houses in D15 look like miserable places to live alright
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/huntington-outfarm-lane-castleknock-dublin-15/1762605
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/fionn-uisce-castleknock-road-castleknock-dublin-15/370830
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/67-georgian-village-castleknock-dublin-15/1259984

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I live in Corduff.

It's a council estate but now a large majority of the houses are owned by the occupants.

Castleknock and Carpenterstown etc maybe more affluent but I can tell you for sure that very few areas in the d15 area have a community spirit like Corduff.

Yes we have our g****s but so too does everywhere. Allot of the scum of the past are dead now or long gone from the area and all in all it is an area that has matured fairly well.

Smashing Shotokan club
    Smashing football club
    Smashing sports facilities
    A proper LOCAL watering hole
    A top class creche
    A relatively decent health centre

Ballycoolin to the north, the aquatic centre and hospital to the east, the ITB to the west and the Blanchardstown centre to the south. Not bad.

It is one of the last few areas in D15 where you not only know your neighbor next door but you'll know your neighbors in the estate generally. Unfortunately that is not so prevalent in newer estates and affluent areas to boot. Some people like to keep to themselves but I'm a social animal.

It maybe a boring cliche but it's not where you live, it is how you live.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I and others have listed some great amenities that are in our area that oddball has chosen to ignore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

amdublin wrote: »
    I and others have listed some great amenities that are in our area that oddball has chosen to ignore.

Thought it was Oddjob, Nah your right.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

nudger wrote: »

Thought it was Oddjob, Nah your right.

OK folks, last warning, back on topic and cut out the personal digs or I'll be handing out cards and/or bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

To answer the OP I would say the following places in D15 are perfectly safe to live and bring up a family in:

In no particular order:

Ongar
    Clonee
    Tyrrelstown
    Clonsilla
    Carpenterstown
    Blanchardstown
    Castleknock
    Huntstown
    Hartstown
    Warrenstown

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I mentioned castleknock because you were yacking on about it being cheap.

You have mentioned tyrellstown once or twice. Far from a ghetto. Have you been there tecently? There are many different nationalities livinh there ranging from irish to imigrants from africa to italians and spanish working in ibm and ebay. Its not a ghetto though.

Id take it any day over soi disant nice area like bedsit heaven parts of rathmines or concrete hell parts of stillorgan.

Personally i think Tyrellstown is a ghetto in the making. The houses are too close together and the off licence is a rip off :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Wow Diddler so basically the whole area is grand..you didnt leave anything out besides ladyswell and whitechapel..fortlawn, sheepmoor, etc

To answer the OP I would say the following places in D15 are perfectly safe to live and bring up a family in:

In no particular order:

Ongar
    Clonee
    Tyrrelstown
    Clonsilla
    Carpenterstown
    Blanchardstown
    Castleknock
    Huntstown
    Hartstown
    Warrenstown

Thats all of D15 so ;)

Forget the train, the 39A is the way to go.

Wow Diddler so basically the whole area is grand..you didnt leave anything out besides ladyswell and whitechapel..fortlawn, sheepmoor, etc

They are in blanchardstown and Clonsilla :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

I live in Corduff.

It's a council estate but now a large majority of the houses are owned by the occupants.

Castleknock and Carpenterstown etc maybe more affluent but I can tell you for sure that very few areas in the d15 area have a community spirit like Corduff.

Yes we have our g****s but so too does everywhere. Allot of the scum of the past are dead now or long gone from the area and all in all it is an area that has matured fairly well.

Smashing Shotokan club
    Smashing football club
    A top class creche

Ballycoolin to the north, the aquatic centre and hospital to the east, the ITB to the west and the Blanchardstown centre to the south. Not bad.

It is one of the last few areas in D15 where you not only know your neighbor next door but you'll know your neighbors in the estate generally. Unfortunately that is not so prevalent in newer estates and affluent areas to boot. Some people like to keep to themselves but I'm a social animal.

It maybe a boring cliche but it's not where you live, it is how you live.

No, it's not.

I have no idea what g****s might refer to, but not every area has scumbags and burglars. Not every area has to wait for the local knackers to die from being shot or overdosing on drugs.
    Smashing Shotokan club
    Smashing football club
    A top class creche

I have no idea what Shotokan is, and every other amenity you mention is basically provided by the taxpayers and doesn't exist in a decent area.

Apart from the watering hole.

If you are not living or from D15 then why are you trolling here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

OP,
    might be worth your while looking at the Racecourse or Rathborne, both in D15 and close to the train, and closer to the city center (if that is where you are commuting to) than other places mentioned, nice areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Molly1983

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Diddler1977
    I haven't heard of anyone being mugged.

I work in huntsmen and personally know of an elderly lady with an intellectual disability who was mugged last weekend feb17th after getting off the bus at Ashfield.

Absolutly disgured that this scum would target the most vulnerable in our society

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Oddjob wrote: »
    True, there's nobody living in D15 because they could afford to, but didn't want to live somewhere nicer.

There's a reason that the area is a favourite of immigrants and that's because it's cheap. It's the same in every city in the world.

Unfortunately, whilst cheap housing attracts immigrants, it also attracts less desirable elements of society.

what?
    What's wrong with immigrants? I find it much more dangerous to meet young local irish lads on my way than people form all other parts of the world. I live in nice area of D15 not because I don't have money - I live there, because I'm not silly enough to buy much more overpriced properties in different areas of Dublin and pay my mortgage for the rest of my life....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK, enough. If people can't keep on-topic there's little point in having the thread open as at this stage the OP isn't getting any more useful information.