Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish in the U.S. Army

• 04-02-2011 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

So just out of curiosity are there many irish in the US army or does anyone here know of any irish serving for them???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

AFAIK it's a much more difficult process to serve in the USAF as it is compared to say the BA. To serve in the USAF I think you need to have a green card (awarded on a lottery basis, not entirely sure though) and clear some other stuff as well. I don't have a clue of how many Irish are in it, by Irish do you mean native Irish or Irish American?

Manic Moran without a doubt would be the best guy to ask about this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

To answer the question, yes, there are plenty of us.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

RMD wrote: »
    AFAIK it's a much more difficult process to serve in the USAF as it is compared to say the BA. To serve in the USAF I think you need to have a green card (awarded on a lottery basis, not entirely sure though) and clear some other stuff as well. I don't have a clue of how many Irish are in it, by Irish do you mean native Irish or Irish American?

Manic Moran without a doubt would be the best guy to ask about this.

I mean like native Irish not irish americans... I think there was a book out a while ago about an irish guy serving after getting citizenship and being a fireman for a few years.

But id love to know if there are many serving today and if anyone here has any stories about it or knows people who have served or serving with them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

anyone here has any stories about it or knows people who have served or serving with them

http://www.clubi.ie/exalted/40th.htm

Basic, Tank School, OCS.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055535282&highlight=rebuilding

Aghan deployment.

The Iraq deployment log I really need to find again and put up.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭BuckJamesRogers

lcrcboy wrote: »
    I mean like native Irish not irish americans... I think there was a book out a while ago about an irish guy serving after getting citizenship and being a fireman for a few years.

But id love to know if there are many serving today and if anyone here has any stories about it or knows people who have served or serving with them

Yep, it's called the Green Marine. Good read too

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

On the Discovery show "Surviving The Cut" they were showing scuba school and one of the Special Forces Sgt's was an Irish lad called Kennedy.
    2 lads I work with are ex US marines. My father and 2 uncles all served in the 50's and 60's, they were drafted though and became citizens that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Our moderator is one and but for a few months. I would be another as I have a green card but was too old:( Ironically since then it was loosened up but I'm still too old.

The key is the green card, if you have one. You can join up. Getting one is the real difficulty.

But there is a long standing history of Irishmen enlisting in the US military.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

I know of 3 ex FCA lads that got the boat.

Advertisement