Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Le said hes never going to fight for the UFC despite being under contract, Have a feeling this will take massive momentum now when more fighters get involved which is pretty much a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What will this mean? UFC being sued for millions? them having to change business practices? Smaller organisations gaining a slightly larger share of the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Depends how strong the case is and/or how good the Zuffa lawyers are.

JJayoo wrote: »
    What will this mean? UFC being sued for millions? them having to change business practices? Smaller organisations gaining a slightly larger share of the market?

The first two i would assume, It was about fighters being screwed over and forced to sign there likeness away, along with alot of other stuff. This is a massive step for fighters if they get behind it for getting much improved pay rates etc along with alot better working conditions. But its basically down to the UFC running a monopoly and limiting what fighters can make.

Its quite funny seeing Danas words of ripping smaller promotions and saying UFC is the A League coming back to haunt him, lots of his quotes seem to be getting used against him. The law firms backing it are pretty major too, its a very interesting time.

I definitely hope that this forces the UFC into paying fighters more etc but at the same time I hope that they retain their place as the top dog in MMA.

The thought of MMA descending into a boxing style mish mash of multiple similar level organisations with different belts and champions not facing each other would suck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Very debatable stuff flicked through a lot is to do with the UFC being an established/still establishing/maintaining a monopoly not sure it's punishable exactly.

A load of the things they condemn all lead to how Dana conducts himself pretty much; for example I see they have in there about the card Jon Jones could have saved but it was scrapped and Dana and Lorenzo publically stated that it would be remembered as the card Greg Jackson murdered.

Nate Quarry gave interviews a number of times about how he fought in a title match for peanuts but even still that was 05 the UFC were only on the rise he also stated when he retired he had no intention fighting let alone anywhere else so clueless as to why he put his name to this, Fitch & Le not exactly a surprise tbh.

Hopefully this is with good intention to have UFC change certain policies but I fear this could be just personal vendettas against the owners by lads whose fighting careers are over.

Full document can be read here

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Very debatable stuff flicked through a lot is to do with the UFC being an established/still establishing/maintaining a monopoly not sure it's punishable exactly.

Full document can be read here

Check out the Microsoft antitrust case, you can get punished for creating a monopoly(more to it than just that obviously), IMO it's BS, you shouldn't get punished for being successful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

This will probably dragged out for years in court

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

pauldoo wrote: »
    Check out the Microsoft antitrust case, you can get punished for creating a monopoly(more to it than just that obviously), IMO it's BS, you shouldn't get punished for being successful

I dunno I think it's good tbh, look at gamestop the place is a rip off since it has no competition in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

I dunno I think it's good tbh, look at gamestop the place is a rip off since it has no competition in ireland

I hate gamestop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

srumball wrote: »
    I hate gamestop

thus my point, they used to be great, on average, 4-5 euro deeper but with a much better selection now they are at least 10 e dearer since they have no competition. The ufc used to put on amazing quality cards and crushed the competition that way, now they just shove mediocre **** down our throats for the most part and other companies can't compete with the sheer volume

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I think if Cage Warriors, One FC, Bellator and other smaller orgs came together to form a European superpower, that could easily rival the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Burb5

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I think if Cage Warriors, One FC, Bellator and other smaller orgs came together to form a European superpower, that could easily rival the UFC.

Bellator can become a superpower themselves what with the financial power of Viacom behind them and now that Scott Coker is running the show expect them to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Burb5 wrote: »
    Bellator can become a superpower themselves what with the financial power of Viacom behind them and now that Scott Coker is running the show expect them to improve.

Yeah but my point is that I, in my humble un-educated view, believe the American/South American market is gone to the UFC and won't come back anytime soon.

If Bellator were to partner with something like Cage Warriors and One FC, focus their shows in mainland Europe, and maybe Asia, they could toppled those markets in their favour.

Scott Coker was responsible for the Tito/Bonner/masked man fiasco.

Is that the kind of bollox we want to become the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Burb5

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Scott Coker was responsible for the Tito/Bonner/masked man fiasco.

Is that the kind of bollox we want to become the norm?

It shouldn't be the norm and I'll take it as them looking to get people to notice them (which it did, averaged 1.2m viewers on SPIKE)

Bellator aren't looking to be a UFC clone and will look to do things differently (as Coker has said himself) and when you are owned by a billion dollar tv company like Viacom the world is your oyster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭weemcd

Rory not get to the next title shot, looks like it's Lawler v Hendricks again.

Pity, dunno how much I want the third fight. Hope Robbie ko's this time, but it will probably be another wafer thin 5 round decision.

Anyone else find Hendricks unlikeable?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Lately, yes. Before his initial title shot, no.

I really dislike 3rd matches in a series so quickly. They did it with Velasquez vs Dos Santos. It means that if JDS gets back to the top we're looking at 4 and 5 or more matches between them in their career.

Apparently Rory MacDonald has been told he will not get the next title shot. Hendrix v Lawler 3 I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

Balls. I think Rory is clearly the best in the welterweight division. He didn't really show up against Robbie the first time and still easily could have gotten the decision. Over 5 rounds I don't see either of them beating him

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭glass half full

Where is Carlos Condit btw? (too lazy to google so Im posting the question).

Where is Carlos Condit btw? (too lazy to google so Im posting the question).

In google somewhere.....

Edit: Found him http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/carlos-condit-medically-cleared-to-resume-mma-training-173327019.html

back training after his knee injury. Will see him in early 2015 id say

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I think if Rory is going to be champion, his best chance of winning the belt is against Robbie. I know Lawler beat him before but I think if they fought again i'd have my money on McDonald.

Robbie all the way lads! However Rory admitted he was injured last time out on the Joe Rogan podcast.

5 rounds for a different fight

Angree with the post about Hendricks, before he won the title i really liked him, now he seemed like an absolute dick head. The way he didnt let anyone touch his belt was ridiculous. Rory IMO can win the title, Hes really starting to grow on me outside the octagon from recent interviews. Still would love Woodly to win the belt but that wont be happening anytime soon until he learns how not to choke in big fights.

Ps Hendricks has the worst walkout music in the ufc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yupp zero interest in another 5 round split decision between johnny and robbie. I can't see either holding the belt too long, really wish they gave rory a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Was just reading up on Christy Brown today and looking at some of his paintings. I thought the one behind him there is a dead ringer for John Kavanagh. :pac:

christybrown.jpg
    0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Lol so random but so true

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement