Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The car petrol and diesel thread....

• 23-05-2007 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

With the Rising costs of fuel it might be an idea to share knowledge about where to find cheap petrol in Galway. According to an RTE news article the average price in the country is 115.9
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0523/petrol.html

I haven't found anything under 117.9 in Galway City... Has anyone found anything cheaper than this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Hi Folks,

With the Rising costs of fuel it might be an idea to share knowledge about where to find cheap petrol in Galway. According to an RTE news article the average price in the country is 115.9
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0523/petrol.html

I haven't found anything under 117.9 in Galway City... Has anyone found anything cheaper than this?

Hows it going? You should get one of these... http://www.benchmark.ie

Current price is 115.02. http://www.motorcard.ie/prices_this_week.php

Its a free card and it debits your bank account every month (direct debit)

I've been using it since last September and its great. They will email you the invoice every month and always respond to emails if there is any problems with anything. Very happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

It was 115.9 in Derrydonnell last Sunday anyway....

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sfinn

What about diesel,

Lowest price i have come across is with Corrib oil on the Tuam road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

anyone know the price in Loughnanes in Turloughmore. Usually really good with prices. Was very low so cudnt make it there 2day tho so had to stop in Carnmore..114.9!!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Peter C

Always amazes me the price at all the pumps in Galway are the same, cartel springs to mind.

I use the benchmark card and that saves me a few EEuro a fill everytime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Thanks for the info on the benchmark card guys... I'll certainly check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Just buy a fecking diesel and pop into Corrib Oil on the Tuam Road - 105c a litre!! :D

Petrol: Most expensive is always Statoil, cheapest i've found was Maxol at Whitestand (Near Salthill)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

Corrib oil have opened a new outlet in Ballinasloe and are selling petrol at €1.10 per litre. Shell a few hundred yards down the road are €1.12 per litre.
    Sorry didn't check the diesel prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Does the benchmark thing work out much cheaper?

Use this website, anyone can update it

WWW.PUMPS.IE

IF enough people update it then you will always know where the cheapest spot is. Click on the map and zoom into Galway! I passed a playe on the quays in Dublin City center, a statoil, with diesel and petrol both at 159.9 per litre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I thought eveyone used www.irishfuelprices.com
    Everyone contributes - sample..

22 May Oughterard Tucks, Main Street Statoil 117.90
    22 May Moycullen Main Street Statoil 117.90
    22 May Moycullen Main Street Texaco 117.90
    22 May Galway Newcastle Statoil 117.90
    22 May Oughterard Main Street Esso 118.90
    22 May Roundstone Main Street Statoil 118.90
    22 May Recess Recess Texaco 120.90

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭aben3313

are there no tesco petrol stations in Galway? with the extra 5c off per litre if you spend over €50 in stores it can make for a great saving on your fuel bill.:) :) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Poppy84

aben3313 wrote:
    are there no tesco petrol stations in Galway? with the extra 5c off per litre if you spend over €50 in stores it can make for a great saving on your fuel bill.:) :) :rolleyes:

Just a word of warning, I have heard that the tesco petrol has caused problems in some cars. I know someone working in a garage who said that it does something to the car. Its whatever is in the petrol , anyway just thought id let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

aben3313 wrote:

we don't even have clean water here, let alone tesco fuel pumps...This is the West...;-)

Anyways, the benchmark card is worth it, I find...it usually works out a bit cheaper!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Poppy84 wrote:
    Just a word of warning, I have heard that the tesco petrol has caused problems in some cars. I know someone working in a garage who said that it does something to the car. Its whatever is in the petrol , anyway just thought id let you know
    Now *that's* specfic.

There was a contaminated lot of petrol sold in Tesco stations in the southeast of *England* a couple of months ago that caused Mass Airflow meters in some cars to fail. The source of the contamination was identified. It was silicon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

115.9 out my way. I saw 113 at a Texaco in Claremorris last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Robbo wrote:
    Now *that's* specfic.

There was a contaminated lot of petrol sold in Tesco stations in the southeast of *England* a couple of months ago that caused Mass Airflow meters in some cars to fail. The source of the contamination was identified. It was silicon.
    Think you mean lambda sensors, MAF's are on the air intake, lambda's are on the exhaust side & very prone to fail if they get contaminated. Cost a good few €€ to put right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 IrishToffees

I travel from Tipperary to Galway weekly to work and the further west I get the more expensive the petrol. Galway City been the most expensive. Portummna always averages around 5cent a litre cheaper than Galway City

I normally get it in tesco at the home place for 1.15.9

I've to fill up in Galway this evening. The only stations I know are Statoil who are always a rip-off. pumps.ie is rubbish for the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

theres a cheap place the Monivea side of the lights in Carnmore (if you are close to that side of the city/area).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

The Esson beside Tom Hogans Motors (beside Ballybrit race course) is the cheapest I've found in the city. They had 1.19 there for ages while most other places were 1.23 or more. Think its gone to 1.23 now but still cheaper than almost everywhere else

At the end of the day though you save feck all or at least not worth the hassle shopping around for saving €2 per every €50 euro purchase...imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Being terrible at maths I wonder how much one would saveon a 60yo yo tank...Any ideas?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Being terrible at maths I wonder how much one would saveon a 60yo yo tank...Any ideas?
    Zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

My SAAB can take 62 litres so if I fill from empty to full I think I'll save a couple euros if I go to the cheapest from the dearest place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

biko wrote: »
    My SAAB can take 62 litres so if I fill from empty to full I think I'll save a couple euros if I go to the cheapest from the dearest place.

'bout right. Biggest price difference you'll find is prob about 4c/litre * 62 = umm, 2 euro something!

True but if you fill up every week you save over 100 quid a year which is abit towards your tax or insurance. However, I only fill up twice a month. Your still saving something - all the euros add up I suppose.

Maybe it's more about mindset...if you apply that mindset to everything you save a power of money.

Petrol is actually 1.16 in my home place at Tesco. 50L tank is €58.

Most places in galway seem to be at least 1.23. It would cost €61.50 to fill the tank. Saving of €3.50. Thats €91 a year for me or €182 if you fill every week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

True but if you fill up every week you save over 100 quid a year which is abit towards your tax or insurance. However, I only fill up twice a month. Your still saving something - all the euros add up I suppose.

Maybe it's more about mindset...if you apply that mindset to everything you save a power of money.

Petrol is actually 1.16 in my home place at Tesco. 50L tank is €58.

Most places in galway seem to be at least 1.23. It would cost €61.50 to fill the tank. Saving of €3.50. Thats €91 a year for me or €182 if you fill every week.

Yes, but how much petrol does it take to get to your home place? You'll save a lot more by never going home! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Omni-fuel electric drive vehicles ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I'd prefer Mr. Fusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,258 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Whats the cheapest petrol in the city?

Seen 112.9 in a few garages myself but was on pumps.ie and theres a maxol in westside advertising 99c a litre. That true??

{mod-edit} www.pumps.ie {/mod-edit}

Advertisement