Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Batch tested .22lr

Options
  • 26-06-2014 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Does anyone shoot with batch tested ammo for their gun and is itch more accurate ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Depends on the batch. You might not find anything your gun particularly likes just by batch testing, but it does give you information and a selection from which to choose, which is useful. Testing ammo from the rig only tells most of the story however, as some batches shoot differently from the shoulder than from the test rig. I had a batch of SK Rifle Match that shot 15mm round groups from the test rig, but shot really nicely from the shoulder, as well as the Lapua Centre-X I had at the same time, which shot 13mm groups. I think anyone who wants to shoot smallbore competitively is going to make testing ammo a significant part of their training programme. Anything else is just leaving an entirely controllable element to chance, which isn't a good plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Baker.22

I shoot 50m benchrest and use r50 ammo, I have 3 firearms and I was using the same batch for all, I'm now using a slightly faster 334m/s and I think it's not as good, could this be so?

I'm thinking of batch testing in sept in the north, but will only be able to test eley match and tenex, tenex is very expensive, don't know if it's worth it

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Baker.22 wrote: »
    I'm now using a slightly faster 334m/s and I think it's not as good, could this be so?

Absolutely. In general, my rifle likes slower ammunition. Some other rifles like faster ammunition.
    I'm thinking of batch testing in sept in the north, but will only be able to test eley match and tenex, tenex is very expensive, don't know if it's worth it

The testing is worth it. You can decide whether or not the price of the ammunition is worth it when you see the results.

Be aware that when you're booking testing slots with Intershoot you may need to book multiple slots to test multiple brands of ammunition. The last time I tested they had Eley Edge and Eley Tenex with them but there was only time to test one or the other in a single slot. They may do it differently in September, but it's worth checking with Sam up front if you want to get the most out of the testing trip.

Out of curiosity, what are you paying for your R50?

Tks for the info, I'm paying €95 for 500

Just another question, will Sam let you shoot some of your own ammo as a 'benchmark'

Also if you found a batch of eley match just as good as tenex would you buy the Match ?

Tks for the info, I'm paying €95 for 500

Not bad. That's a bit more than Match from Sam, but obviously less than Tenex.
    Just another question, will Sam let you shoot some of your own ammo as a 'benchmark'

The Eley people usually ask you to bring some with you for that very purpose.
    Also if you found a batch of eley match just as good as tenex would you buy the Match ?

Absolutely! (Though I'd probably end up putting the difference in the price into buying more of the ammo, rather than saving the cash. :o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If you found a batch of Match through your own testing that shot better than any Tenex, by all means, buy it all! The shooter beside me at the ISSF world cup in Munich was shooting Eley Match, and he shot quite well with it. I've had batches of cheaper Lapua that outperformed all the more expensive ones I tested at various times. Just a question of what the gun likes from what's available. IRLConor and I have chatted about it many times, but if we had a 50m indoor training range, the first thing I'd install would be a test rig for testing every batch of ammo I could get my mitts on.

Tks for the input lads,
    All the benchrest shooters are looking for an indoor range to set their tuners, as if you find a good batch then you will have to set your tuner which due to wind should only be done indoor. I'm probably going to the benchrest World championship next year in Australia therefore I will need to get good ammo for each of the 3 rifles !!!

Tks for the input lads,
    All the benchrest shooters are looking for an indoor range to set their tuners, as if you find a good batch then you will have to set your tuner which due to wind should only be done indoor.

Ideally you'd pick out the top few batches and try combinations of tuner settings and batches until you found the combination that worked best. You could easily find that the batch that worked best overall was the 2nd or 3rd best batch when shot initially from the test rig. Same deal for setting the torque on your bedding bolts.

You could drive yourself mad! :)

If you were willing to trust 25yd groups as behaving the same as 50m, then I'm sure Rathdrum would be able to facilitate a tuning session. It's indoors and has electronic targets which makes life a good bit easier if you're testing.
    I'm probably going to the benchrest World championship next year in Australia therefore I will need to get good ammo for each of the 3 rifles !!!

Three rifles, three sets of ammo and an airport. Shudder.

Advertisement