Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway man, 23, critical after assault in Northbridge, Perth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Got assaulted almost exactly 1 year ago in Emerald. Suffered head injuries and was out of work for 3 months. The guy got a $1000 fine and ordered to pay me damages. He was a local and I was a foreigner.

This Irish guy gets 8 months? **** off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

irishmover wrote: »
    Got assaulted almost exactly 1 year ago in Emerald. Suffered head injuries and was out of work for 3 months. The guy got a $1000 fine and ordered to pay me damages. He was a local and I was a foreigner.

This Irish guy gets 8 months? **** off..

Emerald in the far east of Melbourne?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Emerald QLD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I reckon this guy is pretty unlucky if this case was in court a month ago he probably got a fine, there has been a big push as of late to crack down on alcohol & violence and as someone says above it's about time a Judge did something about it. I heard Barry O'Farrell on the radio on Thursday implore to the judiciary system to go hard on this, if you assault someone while drunk you are going to Jail.

From what I have read on Irish Echo Facebook page apparently this is totally out of character for this guy, but really some of his friends are not helping him by claiming it was a setup by corrupt cops.... really it's the same story any Irishman is up in court here in Oz to the usual gombeen crowd it's always someone else's fault. The guy pleaded guilty FFS.

Also on the foreigner v local, I think in current climate it doesn't matter that much as a call for a tough sentence is politically driven doesn't matter who it is.

But in many countries especially some of the Asian countries if a foreigner does something wrong they do seem to go a bit harder on them... I think that people should keep that in mind if they are a guest in someone else's country then it's not a licence to do what ever you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Reminds me of this classic from Ireland:
    A stunned Adrian Tcaci (25), a Romanian national living in Blanchardstown, Dublin, branded as "crazy" the decision to jail him for three months for speeding on the Navan Road on December 5, 2005.

Tcaci, who stood before Judge Coughlan in the Dublin District Court earlier this week, was also disqualified from driving for 10 years and fined €2,000.

The sentence is in stark contrast with another similar case last week which sparked public uproar.

Two men who filmed each other racing at similar speeds escaped lightly with €2,000 in fines, no penalty points, no disqualification and no jail time imposed by Judge John Neilan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I reckon this guy is pretty unlucky if this case was in court a month ago he probably got a fine, there has been a big push as of late to crack down on alcohol & violence and as someone says above it's about time a Judge did something about it. I heard Barry O'Farrell on the radio on Thursday implore to the judiciary system to go hard on this, if you assault someone while drunk you are going to Jail.

From what I have read on Irish Echo Facebook page apparently this is totally out of character for this guy, but really some of his friends are not helping him by claiming it was a setup by corrupt cops.... really it's the same story any Irishman is up in court here in Oz to the usual gombeen crowd it's always someone else's fault. The guy pleaded guilty FFS.

Also on the foreigner v local, I think in current climate it doesn't matter that much as a call for a tough sentence is politically driven doesn't matter who it is.

Think you have hit the nail on the head here.

The media are all over the assault thing after a couple of high profile cases, so despite assaults being lower than almost any time in last 2 decades, election cycle politicians have to be seen to be doing something. Same as nonsense with bikies in Qld, fear mongering media spout sh!te and real issues and possible solutions ignored in favour of populist grandstanding by police and politicians.

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Think you have hit the nail on the head here.

The media are all over the assault thing after a couple of high profile cases, so despite assaults being lower than almost any time in last 2 decades, election cycle politicians have to be seen to be doing something. Same as nonsense with bikies in Qld, fear mongering media spout sh!te and real issues and possible solutions ignored in favour of populist grandstanding by police and politicians.

Yeah I think people have had enough, I know you are in Melbourne but its all over the radio here in Sydney and with Tom Kelly case last year the attacker only got 5 years which not enough for killing someone in an unprovoked attack like that he was sentenced in November then there was two other cases the Michael McEwen in Bondi and the death of Daniel Christie in KX both only a month later... it seemed that the sentence Loveridge got was simply no deterrent.

Then when Russell Packer was unexpectedly sentenced to 2 years when his Brief didn't even consider jail time was on the cards, it will be interesting to see how the appeal goes. The public don't want to be duded on this and no doubt Packer will do jail, O'Farrell has brought in the new laws and it all centres around the common factor of Alcohol fueled violence.

The theme is even making the radio back home, it was on the Joe Duffy show 5 times over the last week including an interview with Michael McEwen's father last Friday.... who was pushing for tougher sentencing for Alcohol related Violence.... oh the Irony.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20507820%3A53%3A18%2D01%2D2014%3A&type=radio
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20509014%3A53%3A21%2D01%2D2014%3A&type=radio
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20510052%3A53%3A22%2D01%2D2014%3A&type=radio
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20511015%3A53%3A23%2D01%2D2014%3A&type=radio
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20511707%3A53%3A24%2D01%2D2014%3A&type=radio

Heard from someone that the media got it wrong it wasn't a bouncer from Scruffy Murphy's but a Security Guard from the Kebab shop next door.

• Advertisement

I think the message is clear.

Don't go for kebabs after drinking for two reasons.

1. They are a good place to get in a fight.
    2. Kebabs taste like ****

Zambia wrote: »
    I think the message is clear.

Don't go for kebabs after drinking for two reasons.

1. They are a good place to get in a fight.
    2. Kebabs taste like ****
    3. Even if you're the only customer there the kebab shop might get smashed up by a passing white supremest riot.

catbear wrote: »
    3. Even if you're the only customer there the kebab shop might get smashed up by a passing white supremest riot.

Huh wtf catbear ? Very random video to be posting. The cronulla riot was a random event.

Are you disillusioned with Australia at present?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

If you do a 'King Hit' or 'Coward punch' or whatever you want to call it, it should be classified as attempted murder. It should carry mandatory 15+ years…..

If people are put away for a long long time then young lads may think twice about getting into an argument or punching someone randomly. Also, bring back manual labour in Jail and maybe a good public flogging too… they love themselves on Facebook right, how about a video of them screaming like a baby after a few lashes? Ego's need to be checked.

Zambia wrote: »
    The cronulla riot was a random event.
    I think a culmination of latent intent is the correct description. Random makes it sounds like there was no motivation involved and everything was just happenstance. To believe Crunulla was anything other than racially motivated is to suffer from delusions. Then again some people think Australia is utopia

Anyway I only included it in riposte to the advisory against Kebab shops.

I think a culmination of latent intent is the correct description. Random makes it sounds like there was no motivation involved and everything was just happenstance. To believe Crunulla was anything other than racially motivated is to suffer from delusions. Then again some people think Australia is utopia

Anyway I only included it in riposte to the advisory against Kebab shops.

There was nothing racial in my post , why have we gone here?

I dont think people were directly targetting the Kebab shops because they are foreign owned, its just drunk people gravitate to cheap and nasty food when pissed. Fights at home usually happened at the taxi rank or the local chipper after the pub/club.

jank wrote: »
    I dont think people were directly targetting the Kebab shops because they are foreign owned,
    How do you know their foreign owned? do you think all kebab shops are owned and run by non australians? All the years I've drunkenly gravitated towards Italian chippers in Ireland I've never thought of them as being foreign owned. They lived there, their kids went to school with me, I thought of them as locally owned. Then again some people think if you're from another county then you're a foreigner!

Anyway I was Australia ten years ago and violence seemed no less random then as now. Flip there were even drive by shootings in the rocks in Sydney!

How do you know their foreign owned? do you think all kebab shops are owned and run by non australians? All the years I've drunkenly gravitated towards Italian chippers in Ireland I've never thought of them as being foreign owned. They lived there, their kids went to school with me, I thought of them as locally owned. Then again some people think if you're from another county then you're a foreigner!

Well you are correct of course, one doesnt know. Hence why I find it bizzare you are trying to paint posters unfairly due to mere mention of Kebab shops. Again why are you bringing a racial element into this discusion when there was none?

• Advertisement

Well you have to be aware of these things when living in Australia. An Australian colleague was recently attacked on the street because he was talking in German with a couple of backpackers! His attacker told him that there was only one language spoken in Australia and it was either speak it or get out. Obviously they had no appreciation of the many local languages present before the first prisoners disembarked.

I've personally been greeted on a few occasions with "we need more of your sort here, too many blacks."

Of course this is in West Australia where the incarceration rate of black Australians is reportedly eight times that of black South Africans in the last decade of Apartheid.

These are just things to be mindful of. There just seems to be a far greater potential of things descending into serious violence here than what people may be used to in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NBTD

Not sure how Facebook links work on here, but Ten Eyewitness News Perth have posted a police request for witnesses.

Please visit the Facebook page and share if any of your friends may have been in the area.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=825441784139653&set=a.498982696785565.132587.198087696875068&type=1&theater

These are just things to be mindful of. There just seems to be a far greater potential of things descending into serious violence here than what people may be used to in Ireland.

Ah, the auld Emerald Isle where we all used to sit around making daisy chains, singing songs of love and embracing our fellow man.

I got knocked out by a "king/coward hit" to back of the head outside nightclub in Dublin, my attackers then tried to kick me on ground but a few guys stepped in and maybe saved my life.

I didn't hold the whole of Dublin responsible or this. I have had 100s of nights out in Dublin and never had an issue. I saw it for what it was, meeting the wrong cowardly knobhead, at the wrong time. The guys also happened to be Lithuanian, but I didn't hold that whole country responsible either. I can't abide the scaremongering that goes on here and in Ireland about violence.

Maybe look at something beyond your own limited experience, something like crime statistics between countries for example , and don't use one or two examples to paint the whole place as dangerous or racist.

Who needs statistics Jackbhoy when you can just look at the Australian constitution sections 51 (xxvi) and 25

Who needs statistics Jackbhoy when you can just look at the Australian constitution sections 51 (xxvi) and 25

How does that support an expectation of more violence here than in Ireland????

Well you have to be aware of these things when living in Australia. An Australian colleague was recently attacked on the street because he was talking in German with a couple of backpackers! His attacker told him that there was only one language spoken in Australia and it was either speak it or get out. Obviously they had no appreciation of the many local languages present before the first prisoners disembarked.

I've personally been greeted on a few occasions with "we need more of your sort here, too many blacks."

Of course this is in West Australia where the incarceration rate of black Australians is reportedly eight times that of black South Africans in the last decade of Apartheid.

It seems you have a bee in your bonnet all of a suden about race where nobody else brought it up but you. Since I have been living here longer than you I think I can look after myself from these roaming lynch mobs that are around most corners, waiting to attack unsuspecting foreginers and people with a dark tan. They would have a field day in Sydney where it is unusual in some parts to hear English but I suppose ancidotal evidence and random made up facts pass for debate now a days.

dont-believe-everything-you-see-on-the-internet.jpg

Hey, Zambia posted two reasons for not going for post drink kabab, i added to it. Won't stop me from going to eurokabab in north bridge for curry chips, i haven't found better nearby.

And yes i do have a bee in my bonnet about racism but i don't think i'm alone in that.

The rate is amazingly high.
    The highest ratio of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander to non-Indigenous imprisonment rates in Australia was in Western Australia (20 times higher for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander prisoners).

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Products/BD0021D329F0464FCA257B3C000DCCE0?opendocument

Indigenous do get a bad rap but not that different to how many Irish people perceive the members of the traveling community, some people in Ireland think it's a perfectly acceptable form of racism but would never consider themselves racist. Sort of makes me laugh.

I been here nearly 10 years and have never experienced any personal problems from anyone, I have been mistaken for being Scottish a few times but if that as bad as it gets then I will hardly worry about it.

As for Aussies being racist from what I hear its mostly words, haven't heard of any lynchings or turkey shoots. Its really someones opinion about someone else and I fail to understand why it bothers people on boards.ie so much when they are not so bothered about similar behavior of Travelers in Ireland.

If some Aussie wants to waste his time spouting racial sh!te then he is a pretty dumb c**t. Its probably not going to affect the money going in my pocket or what I do at the weekends.

There are more enjoyable things to do in Australia than worrying about what some idiots view on someone else, it didn't really bother me in Ireland and it doesn't really bother me in Australia.

**PS I am not a Traveler lover, but just pointing the Irony.

All good points but it is important to note those racist parts of the australian constitution, that makes the matter institutional and gives any government of the day a mandate to discriminate along racial lines whereas in ireland a citizen can seek redress in the european courts. Only last week we've seen the irish government lose against an irish citizen who took the state to europe for abuse she suffered in a state school in the 70s.
    Travellers have the same access to redress.

But in australia how can one defend their basic human right if they can be excluded by their own constitution because of their race?

Anyway we went off topic when reasons to avoid kabab shops were introduced.

• Advertisement

Can you clarify by what you mean by the statement that you say the Australian constitution excludes certain races? How exactly are they excluded? Aborigines can go the courts and have their grievances aired, they won lots of land mark cases some years back in regards ownership of land.

Advertisement