Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Palace Bar, Athlone

Options
  • 19-07-2013 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭

Is the place closed down. BEEN passed the last two days and its been closed

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Apparently so. Seems to have been out of business again this past while. I don't see it competing with Sean's, The Castle Inn and The Snug any more. To keep it open is flogging a dead horse and I never like the place to start off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DeeDee89

what about that place that was in the middle of the town it's like it's haunted everytime it's opened by someone new it only stays open a few months and is closed again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

cena wrote: »
    Is the place closed down. BEEN passed the last two days and its been closed
    The Palace is gone again? I was in there one Friday night only a few weeks ago and apart from a hen party crowd it wasn't particularly busy. Never liked it apart from the odd gig in the loft.
    DeeDee89 wrote: »
    what about that place that was in the middle of the town it's like it's haunted everytime it's opened by someone new it only stays open a few months and is closed again
    I think you're on about Rayners/Suede. Yeah that place seems to be cursed, it reopened twice since Rayners originally closed and didn't stay open longer than a couple of months each time. It used to be the place to go at one stage years ago.

I see they're doing work with 41s at the moment. Don't know whether that's good news or bad news considering the type of crowd that used to go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

The Palace is gone again? I was in there one Friday night only a few weeks ago and apart from a hen party crowd it wasn't particularly busy. Never liked it apart from the odd gig in the loft.

I think you're on about Rayners/Suede. Yeah that place seems to be cursed, it reopened twice since Rayners originally closed and didn't stay open longer than a couple of months each time. It used to be the place to go at one stage years ago.

I see they're doing work with 41s at the moment. Don't know whether that's good news or bad news considering the type of crowd that used to go there.

I know the person who's opening the former 41s...
    Trust me there will be no scumbags allowed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

The people reopening 41s as the Malt House, ran a pretty tight ship when they had Shines and not one trouble maker got into the place.

• Advertisement

It's good news so. The very few times I've been in there I didn't stay too long, looking forward to seeing what they've done with it. I've always liked Shines as well, it a bit out of the town but it's always a great spot for a pint.

Even with The Palace gone there's still plenty of places to go. I'd imagine Coppers took a lot of the crowd away from The Palace over the years and The Prince always gets a decent crowd.

Ever since Coppers opened, no one had to cross town to The Palace, unless the Sean's was more your thing.

The Castle Inn and Seans are more my kind of spot so I'm across that side of town fairly often. But a lot of the younger crowd seem to stay on the east side of the town these days and also not have far to go to Karma or Viva. There's nothing worse than crossing the bridge in the cold with sideways rain coming at you on your way to Karma.

The weather wouldn't put me off crossing the bridge to Viva or the likes, the young crowds that frequent such places would, as ageist as that may sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

There seems to be a few shops opening around the town which is good to see. I wounder if someone will take on the local as well ?

The majority of the new shops i have seen opening seem to be small/family type business where the overheads for things like staffing are low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

One year on the green shoots of economic recovery in Athlone are still few and far between I reckon...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

To be fair the town has picked up, There seems to a good buzz around the town the last few months on both Friday and Saturday nights. Pubs starting to be busier, so I remain optimistic for the town.
    The last few years town was dead every single night you went out.

It would be no harm if the big pubs (coppers/palace/Rayners) stayed shut and meant that all the little pubs stayed busy so you have a nice bit of variety going out on the town for a few scoops.

Was in The Piano Bar on a Saturday night recently and it was wedged. The town seems as busy as it was 6 or 7 years ago, just that there's different popular night spots.

To be fair the town has picked up, There seems to a good buzz around the town the last few months on both Friday and Saturday nights. Pubs starting to be busier, so I remain optimistic for the town.
    The last few years town was dead every single night you went out.

It would be no harm if the big pubs (coppers/palace/Rayners) stayed shut and meant that all the little pubs stayed busy so you have a nice bit of variety going out on the town for a few scoops.

Good to hear - I'll be home for a while in a few months so looking forward to finding a bit more life back in the town. Ireland (and Athlone) totally lost its mind during the tiger - It was always going to end in tears.....

Was in The Piano Bar on a Saturday night recently and it was wedged. The town seems as busy as it was 6 or 7 years ago, just that there's different popular night spots.

There always used to be a good atmosphere around town when the weather was great like it is at the moment - Good to hear that some of that might be back.

My idea of heaven ? - A nice warm summer evening boating on Lough Ree followed by a few scoops in some pub with a good atmosphere and decent clientele....

Was in The Piano Bar on a Saturday night recently and it was wedged.

Was The Wolf playing ?

Is The Palace shut down again now ? - I drove past it late the other night and it looked dark and dead as a doornail....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

It never reopened

It did for a very brief period, but closed just as quick. It was the main haunt for a lot of young people in Athlone, until the likes of Coppers opened. Another pub that never seems to be able to stay open is Coppers/Jacks and what used to be Raynors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

People are finding other outlets than the pub. Long may it continue.

• Advertisement

Itzy wrote: »
    It did for a very brief period, but closed just as quick. It was the main haunt for a lot of young people in Athlone, until the likes of Coppers opened. Another pub that never seems to be able to stay open is Coppers/Jacks and what used to be Raynors.

That's a pity. They made some really bad business decisions there. That really white redecoration that was done downstairs was appalling and ruined the whole atmosphere of the place. I though that business might pick up but I guess people still don't have enough money to spend too many nights out skulling pints at well over four yoyos a go...

People are finding other outlets than the pub.

Like what ? You can't beat a few pints in a good pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Long Gone wrote: »
    Like what ? You can't beat a few pints in a good pub.

Canoe Club
    5 a side soccer
    The local football team
    Running/Jogging clubs
    The gym
    Kickboxing classes
    Cycling clubs
    Triathlons
    Visiting friends house (with or without drink involved) or being visited.

There's 9 off the top of my head.

Don't get me wrong, the pub has its place and i do frequent it myself o ham go tam but there are other things one can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

The business is there, pretty much every pub within a five minute walking distance of the Palace is busy most nights of the week. Whoever is pulling the strings there must be having some kind of difficulties on their own side because it's not for lack of potential business that it's closed.

Canoe Club
    5 a side soccer
    The local football team
    Running/Jogging clubs
    The gym
    Kickboxing classes
    Cycling clubs
    Triathlons

None of those are a substitute for the pub. They're just things you could do before going to the pub. In fact if you frequent certain establishments on Connaught Street you can get plenty of Running/Jogging and Kickboxing practice in on the way home afterwards as well ! .:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Canoe Club
    5 a side soccer
    The local football team
    Running/Jogging clubs
    The gym
    Kickboxing classes
    Cycling clubs
    Triathlons

Sounds like the running order for a tampax advert tbh.

Canoe Club
    5 a side soccer
    The local football team
    Running/Jogging clubs
    The gym
    Kickboxing classes
    Cycling clubs
    Triathlons

Don't get me wrong, the pub has its place and i do frequent it myself o ham go tam but there are other things one can do.
    Person 1: "Hey it's my birthday."
    Person 2: "Happy birthday man, pints tonight?"
    Person 1: "Nah. I was thinking of going to the canoe club tonight instead."
    Person 2: "..."

Hate to sound a bit dry, but my 30th is coming up in a couple of months and I have no intention of going to a pub or nightclub. A friend had a birthday get together last year, which involved having a Chinese and a few games of pool. I'd rather that than spending my money getting píssed and dying of a hangover the following day.

Hate to sound a bit dry, but my 30th is coming up in a couple of months and I have no intention of going to a pub or nightclub. A friend had a birthday get together last year, which involved having a Chinese and a few games of pool. I'd rather that than spending my money getting píssed and dying of a hangover the following day.

Hate to have to say it but you do sound very dry ! :) A Chinese and a few games of pool ? ! .:eek:
    Each to his own obviously, but I must strongly dispute and completely reject your inference that it's not possible to go to the pub for a few social pints without drinking yourself into a stupor and suffering from near alcohol poisoning the next day.....:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Did you consider the canoe club?

Advertisement